HMS Victory by gil middleton - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:72

Thank you guys for your much apprediated concerns. It has been rather scary, but she is getting better. Floyd, thanks for your comments, but the jokes on me.  When Judy developed the blood clot, I moved into full time nurse, cook, etc. With no time to get the boat ready (she sits in the weather all winter), and with regrets,I had to cancel our participation in Opening Day.  I'll go and salute the Admiral of the Day, watch the national champion University of Washington crew race but the boat will miss the show.  With so few days without rain in the spring, April dictates full time attention to getting the boat ready and I would not even consider hosting Admirals and Generals with ratty varnish and peeling paint.  Oh well, there's always next year.  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Glad to hear that Judy is doing well under your ministrations Gil, but sorry to hear you'll miss your boating extravaganza.

so....love does conquer all!   sorry to hear you've canceled,  but priorties rule.  your a good man,  Gil!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

And shall next year find you both ready to celebrate.  For now, duty calls.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Gil,

Sorry to hear of the health scares.  But as others have said, there's always next year and both of you can celebrate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gil - I will make you a deal. Make me a deck hand on the next parade I will help you get her ready. I think we can get the whole club to help sand and polish.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Dave, Grant, Popeye, Augie and Mark   Thanks so much for your kind sentiments.  Floyd, be careful what you ask for.  Deck hands are kept locked in the focs'le except when on duty.  We run a tight ship.  Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Just a wee bit of progress before covering the old ship for a while.  Applying the netting to the bow or fore deck before the roundhouses.  Some of you did this early, however, I was afraid I would destroy the netting or bumpkins while rigging the bow sprit.  First a view of the bow without the netting.post-68-0-21090700-1367295008_thumb.jpg

The real ship with netting viewed from inboard.post-68-0-29687800-1367295072_thumb.jpg

A simple drawing with measurements to act as a template for the netting.post-68-0-27079600-1367295145_thumb.jpg24 gauge annealed wire shaped from the template. A small hook at each end to fit an eyebolt at the roundhouse and at the bow.post-68-0-61089600-1367295227_thumb.jpgWire glued to the netting, over wax paper (tulle) with C/Apost-68-0-80112400-1367295339_thumb.jpg

Netting placed  starboard.post-68-0-25841300-1367295532_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-82997100-1367295549_thumb.jpgNetting placed on portpost-68-0-99766200-1367295604_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-47753300-1367295665_thumb.jpg

Adding the foot ropes to the bowsprit, jib boom and flying jib boom.  A little dilute (10:1 water/white glue helps maintain the natural draping of the line.post-68-0-53538800-1367295751_thumb.jpg

A fun view comparing the bow sprit cap on the real ship and the model.post-68-0-74899000-1367295843_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-10483300-1367295860_thumb.jpg

There will probably be a two to three month hiatus as we look to the open water. (after a lot of sanding varnishing and painting) Like Andy's view of sunset on the Great Lakes, all seems right with the world looking at the sunrise crossing the Gulf of Alaska. post-68-0-69420200-1367297104_thumb.jpg Cheers, Gil

We will miss you Gil, Hope you both have a good time

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Safe travels Gil.  Will miss your log and guidance in the coming months.  There's every chance that I will overtake you now, and that's not good! (I've been relying on you to show me the way.)

Great work, and save trip, looking forward to see you again!

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Have a safe and memorable trip Gil.  Your netting looks great.  And if you can get a blue background for the model picture of the bowsprit, you'll fool me! :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

masterful work Gil!  have a good time on your trip.....see you when you get back!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You are the best. Enjoy the trip.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Next best thing to a road trip... a boat trip.  Have a great one and send us pictures from time to time.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

What a grand send off from so many good friends. Many thanks to each of you.  While no work is being done on the model, connecting with the internet allows one the chance to catch up on your wonderful build logs.  I belong to a cruising club (The Cruising Club of America) where members have crossed oceans in their own boats, and a good number have circumnavigated.  Like  Model Ship World, there is a deep pool of experience and knowledge, with conversations that are greatly enjoyed and from which we all learn. Accordingly, I should be a wee bit smarter about model ship building and cruising in boats when returning to HMS Victory.  Cheers, Gil

Hi Gil,

If you happen to pass through Bella Bella/Shearwater in July, feel free to pop in. I'm at the life boat station here. We can compare boats...

Happy travels!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Peter,  Thanks for the heads up on Shearwater/Bella Bella.  We always stop there on our way to Alaska, however, this year we will not get that far.  If you are there next year, it will be a highlight of the trip.  Warm regards, Gil

Hi Gil,

Yes, I plan to be here next year. Hope to see you then.

Have a wonderful cruise along the "Best Coast".

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

• 4 months later...

Good morning, Gil..

I'm writing this to thank you for your wonderful log and for the tremendous inspiration it has given to me as I attempt to build the HMS Victory.  I so much appreciate the wonderful detail you have used in the construction of your Victory and its beautiful outcome.  I refer to your log constantly as I do to a few others and know, that without your site, I would never be as far long as I am.  As I mentioned I have had help from others, in particular, Shipyard Sid (David) and am completely supportive of Model Ship World as the best Model Ship Site in the world.  I access your site every day as I struggle with my build and completely marvel as to how technical, realistic and patiently you have worked.  I thank you sincerely for posting everything you have.

In a side note, I wonder if you have ever heard of Bel-Kirk Heating and Air Conditioning in Bellevue/Kirkland. WA?  For several years I lived in Issaquah and was the president of that company.  I have sailed the waters around Seattle many times and passed through the Ballard Locks at least a hundred times.

Have a wonderful day and many. many thanks again,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry, We just returned from cruising the Rhine and Danube rivers (NOT on our boat) and found your very nice note. You're very kind particularly since we are all on the same learning curve. I enjoyed reading your log and appreciate the great help David (Shipyard Sid)has been from the beginning. It seems to be what MSW is all about. Your "Victory" is coming along beautifully and in a fraction of the time it took me. Since we're the same age, how can that be?

Yes. Bell-Kirk H & AC is our provider. Small World!

I'm looking forward to getting back to modeling,(five months under a dust cover) however, with so many great logs to catch up on, it may take a while. You'll probably pass me in short order.

Many thanks Jerry, Gil

good to see you back, my friend

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat