HMS Ballahoo by jim_smits - FINISHED - Caldercraft

Hi all,

Today received my Christmas gift of the HMS Ballahoo kit by Caldercraft. In the Ballahoo class I have only found National Maritime plans for the HMS Haddock, so I will try to base my build around these plans.

Still at my folks so will not start the build until tomorrow. In the meantime I will post the kit pictures.

post-465-0-81503700-1397240942_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-78699900-1397240943_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Made it back from my folks today and got to checking through the Ballahoo contents. Unfortunately the 2mm walnut sprue is missing from the box. Tried to call Caldercraft today but haven't got any answer. I will try again on Monday and see if I can get an answer.

As for the contents, the quality is reasonable but not amazing, but then the kit is only £60 so I won't complain. Lime first planking and walnut second planking. The contents list shows 0.5mm Lime for the decking but the manual states that it is 0.5mm maple. The two sets of wood look very similar (other than being 0.5mm and 1mm) and I am no expert on differences between Lime and Maple. Are they of similar appearance?

First steps so far have been to cut the keel, frames and cradle from the 5mm ply sheet. All pieces have been sanded and a basic check of the fit has been made. Over the weekend I will make a start on bevelling the frames.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Greetings Jim,

Lucky you. I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive. I thought I would be the first away with the build log on this new MSW 2.0 site. I will be watching your log with keen interest. I note the discrepancy in the wood type and the missing walnut sprue. Will check kit most carefully.

Good luck.

Patrick M

Thanks for the 'link' Jim, am looking forward to this !!

In fact I may even pick one up in the January sales at Cornwall Model B's ! (that is if there is such a thing as Jan Sales :) )

Build on my friend :)

Eamonn

PS don't store the Bowling balls or the Anvil over the Ballier  :)

Well we have Connies & Aggies so why not Balliers.. ?

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Exciting Jim, how are you going to balance her with your Snake?  Also curious on you thoughts on the kit itself, think this is a more recent offering so wondering if the instructions and the supplied parts are better then the Snake.

Sure you'll have fun!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I also received one of these for Christmas! It will be my first model, so hoping to learn a few things :) will be checking back recently in this topic !

I have put the keel and deck into place- taking my time !

Edit: I too noticed that the instructions and parts list both refer to the lime and maple differently.

Edited by Sam0100

Jason - The Ballahoo/Haddock build will provide a change to the rigging on the snake and keep me fresh, although once my repairs on the Snake are complete, I will not have too many ratlines to complete.

The instructions are around the same level as the Snake instructions although obviously more simplistic due to the nature of the ship being built. Couple of minor improvements; the eyelets on the deck have been specifically labelled as such. They were very simple to overlook on the Snake. Also, the mast plans also show the cleats to be attached. These were only shown on the belaying plan for the Snake.

Eamonn - The build area has now been fully 'upgraded', there will be no more feline / heavy object relating incidents....!

Patrick / Sam - Good to see you both on board. Hope we can all learn from each other.

Today's progress has been to make a build board for the keel. The keel is not warped at all and is one less thing to worry about, Waiting for my Dremel to recharge and will make a start on bevelling bulkheads.

post-465-0-55125200-1388246361_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Last nights progress:

All bulkheads are roughly beveled. I will do any fine tuning once they are glued in place, but I will also be adding some balsa blocks at the bow and stern to aid planking.

I have also added my bearding and cut a rabbet up to the top of the stem. Lesson learned from the Snake, this is so much easier before glueing the bulkheads in place.

Finally, dry fitted and pinned the stem and keel to the false keel. I will glue these in place today but leave the stern post until after second planking.

Nothing really to see yet as it's all prep work mainly. Will update once the bulkheads are in.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Bulkheads attached. Glued with a spot of cyano and set to the correct position using the false deck. I have then added PVA and smeared into the joints using cotton buds. I will let these cure while I treat myself to a carvery...!!

post-465-0-99066500-1388323101_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Looking great Jim.. I have some more questions (hope you don't mind)

1.  I see paint pots in the build box, aside from the guns, what parts are to be painted? (she looks 'natural' if you follow)

2.  Do the instructions call for the Rabbet/Bearding lines cut, or are you doing it yourself to make things easier later?

BTW reason for all the questions is that you've convinced me to pick up this nice wee kit (will probably do a simultaneous build with Ballier, Sherbourne & Convulsion, as they are similar sizes and build structures)

Thanks for all the help

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Eamonn,

My folks bought the paint set with the kit as it was 'recommended' by the website. I am actually trying to work out if there any areas that should be painted or not. Even to the extent of whether the hull was treated with 'white stuff' or not.

Certainly the front of the box shows a largely natural finish.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I've done some more digging and I found a very nice model made by Kerry Jang that has been painted in Nelson chequer - Black hull with a yellow ochre band along the gunports and red ochre on the inside of the bulwarks and the deck fittings. IT will compliment the Snake build nicely as well....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I've done some more digging and I found a very nice model made by Kerry Jang that has been painted in Nelson chequer - Black hull with a yellow ochre band along the gunports and red ochre on the inside of the bulwarks and the deck fittings. IT will compliment the Snake build nicely as well....!

Jim - I think you're safe with the Nelson chequer. Even if it wasn't mandated, I'm sure any captain wanting to emulate 'the big man' would have gone with that scheme.  It must be nice to build up your own little squadron  :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Bit more progress last night. I have airbrushed black any areas that are likely to be visible through the deck. I need to have another look at the Haddock plans though to confirm as they are different to Caldercrafts Ballahoo layout.

Added mast supports from a little scrap wood and used balsa to make fillers at the bow and stern to aid planking.

Finally, the stern has been built adding the supports and pieces of the transom.

Next step is to soak and shape the bulwarks to shape and add the false deck.

Coming together nice and easily so far......

post-465-0-48529000-1388497235_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-09345000-1388497268_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Got my replacement parts from JoTiKa today. Great service from them as I only spoke to them on Thursday.

post-465-0-74541000-1389044716_thumb.jpg

Next step for the build is to gradually shape the bulwarks. Using a mug and large clips at the moment. Once they are roughly the correct shape I will bend to the bulkheads on the ship.

post-465-0-52749000-1389044714_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Run into a minor issue I think. Having started to shape and test the bulwarks against the frames, it looks like the third bulkhead isn't quite wide enough and will result in a dip in planking on the starboard side. I am hoping that I will be able to solve this with some spare lime planking and then a careful reshape, using a plank to test the line of the hull.

Hopefully this shouldn't be to difficult to resolve and I can commence with attaching the bulwarks and planking.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Jim,

I'm just about to fit the third B/H. I've checked it with a contour gauge and it is symmetrical with a max width of 81.17mm.How does that compare with yours? I'm fitting the B/Hs., three a day, fit one wait 6 hours for the glue to set. Slow but I'm taking my time. 

Patrick.

PS. Can I borrow your cup please?

Edited by Ganymede

Hi Jim,

Just checked my No 2 BH and it too is a bit short. I'll fix it tomorrow. No 3 BH is OK.

Will attempt to post pictures at the weekend.

I take it that you have both bulwarks wrapped round the cup at the same time in the pic?

Got my missing part yesterday, very quick service.

Patrick.

Hi Jim, Ballahoo arrived at last! Hopefully a build log will be up by weeks end..

Quick question, Roughly how deep did you cut the Rabbet and the Bearding line? (I assume it didn't/won't compromise the gluing of the Keel, part no.23, onto the 'Former' Keel, part no. 12)

My instruction sheet doesn't mention these (Rabbet/Bearding) but I feel they are a good move to make the planking sit better, especially at the stern. I suspect it doesn't need to be much more than 1mm each side.

Thanks In Advance Jim.

Eamonn

Hi,

I cut the bearding and rabbet down to the middle layer of the Ply. So, approx 1mm on each side leaving 2mm in the middle.

Take make the keel more secure I drilled holes to pin the keel before I cut the rabbet line.

Hope that helps.....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

There was a really nice build on the old site by one of the ladies (can't recall her name but it had something to do with snakes) - I recall that she had problems with the bulwarks around the bow area and made some modifications. Presumably it has all been lost in the great crash.

She also made sails for hers which were a great addition.

• 3 weeks later...

Big backwards steps. After adding the deck in place, I decided I really wasnt happy with the bulkheads positioning. It looks like a couple of them were off-canter and were really throwing out the lines that would be planked and the decking lay.

Took drastic action and attempted to seperate off the bulkheads and try and re-glue. Unfortunately my initial contruction was far too sound and the glued joints refused to budge but a couple of the bulkheads split. Went back to JoTiKa and got a replacement ply sprue with the false keel and bulkheads. Just in the process and put it back together. I think the issue is that the bulkheads were quite loose originally so made lining up in all three dimensions difficult.

I have taken the time to drawing some construction lines on the bulkheads to aid getting them lined up perfectly. Shouldnt take too long to catch back up.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Best of luck with it Jim (was thinking you were a wee bit quiet lately :P glad it's nuttin serious!)

I've almost fin with first planking so I might be shifting over to a 2nd build soon (I gave myself to first or 2nd planking to shift builds to Sherbourne or Convulsion then get then to a similar position) Mind you the ideas are flowing, so I may go further ;)

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

Good solid bit of work last night. The keel bottom, stem and stern post have all had pinning holes made prior to bearding and rabbet work. Dremelled the bearding line and rabbet onto the false keel. Finally, attached all the bulkheads in place, ensuring square in all dimensions, using a few dabs of cyano before liberally adding gorilla wood glue to fix in place.

All looking good so far and the false deck fits nicely. Need to bevel the bulkheads and the stern bulkhead to the deck level.

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo