HMS Ballahoo by jim_smits - FINISHED - Caldercraft

As I understand it the serving is to protect the shroud where it is passed round the mast.

We don't need to serve the entire length of the shrouds, for example the section where the ratlines are attached?

Thank you in advance again Jim.

PS: I must open and read my rigging books to not disturb, all of you :rolleyes:  

The only shrouds that I've ever seen fully served are the trailing shrouds that would be potentially rubbing against sails - so it depends on the ship design and the type of sail used whether that trailing shroud would be fully served.  The ratlines don't make any difference to serving.

The only shrouds that I've ever seen fully served are the trailing shrouds that would be potentially rubbing against sails - so it depends on the ship design and the type of sail used whether that trailing shroud would be fully served.  The ratlines don't make any difference to serving.

Copy that, Brian!

Thank you.

Another quick update.

Shrouds have now been added to the main mast with deadeyes and lanyards all rigged in. Onto more ratlines which should be nice and easy with only two shrouds per side. Then after that it's onto stays.

post-465-0-22105400-1416263291_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Not a large amount of progress in the last couple of days. Made a start on tying ratlines for the main mast but I have now decided that I ought to get a proper base made up, so I have ordered a base from CMB. It is only a MDF base so I will await it's actual quality but it was only £6 so can't really complain.

Hope fully some more ratline progress tonight and I will follow up with the base when it arrives. CMB are pretty quick so perhaps by the weekend, although I am back in sunny Coventry to visit family and take in an ice hockey match.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I know it's not the best preparation for the potential future builds of Diana or Victory but I do love only having a single pair of shrouds on the main mast for tying ratlines onto....! 

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Really looking the business Jim.  Ratlines look great, as does everything. 

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi all,

Next update on the build has been start work on the two pairs of back stays, one each for the fore and main masts. Started off with the foremast by cutting two lengths of 0.75mm thread and serving around 5cm at the end of each line. As per the shrouds the served end is formed into a loop and a false splice used to fix in place. Added a 5mm block onto the end of the lines.

post-465-0-94091500-1416856391_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of other components to put together to create the backstay assembly:

Block stroped to a rigging hook and;

post-465-0-21022300-1416856393_thumb.jpg

Double block stroped with a small loop to accept a second line. 

post-465-0-23038100-1416857278_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-34273800-1416857279_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-91720400-1416857279_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-63839200-1416857280_thumb.jpg

Lines are added to these blocks

post-465-0-37756500-1416857282_thumb.jpg

The whole assembly is then threaded up and a hook added to the end and all suitably tensioned.

post-465-0-02660800-1416857284_thumb.jpg

The free line is then belayed to a pin on the bulwark.

post-465-0-71706900-1416857284_thumb.jpg

Takes a little while but looks good. Need to repeat for the main mast.

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Another quick update from last night.

Finished both foremast backstays and belayed to bulwark belaying pins. Finally finished the effect by adding a coil of rope. Formed the coil around two pins in a small block of wood and drowned in diluted PVA. Allowed to dry and trimmed off the ends.

post-465-0-67447000-1416901003_thumb.jpg

Then used the excess from the belayed line to form a loop which is threaded through the coil and back over the belaying pin. Used a clip to tension the lines in the correct position and again drowned in diluted PVA to fix in position. Really happy with the results!

post-465-0-82977800-1416901004_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Finally received the base for the Ballahoo together with a couple of support columns.

I've got a shorter support column on order as well due to the large gradient on the keel. In the meantime I have shortened the rearmost column to fit. Measured up the base and drilled a couple of holes to fit wooden dowel up through the columns and into the keel of the ship to keep it stable.

The base itself was mdf so I have given it a couple of coats of paint. Currently it is a dark brown but I may well mix in some yellow ochre and try and match the colour of the columns. Also needs a gentle sand between coats and then a final varnish to keep it as good condition as possible.

I may upgrade to a full properly finished base at some point.

post-465-0-99251500-1417260032_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Looking great Jim,  the rope loop technique looks to work really well.  Will add that to the filing cabinet.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Looking great Jim,  the rope loop technique looks to work really well.  Will add that to the filing cabinet.

Thanks Jason - the rope loop itself is dead easy but threading the hook onto the pin and getting it to sit right is a bit of a pig.....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Peachy looking Jim.. just the Boom & Gaffs to go eh ! You'll be onto a new kit soon (have you anything in mind? or just finish Snake!)

All The best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Booms, gaffs and anchors to go indeed. And the it will most definitely be back to Snake and a load of yards to do.

A few months away but after that will be Diana most probably, hopefully with some LEDs to add to cabins, decks and lanterns.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Good bit of progress today despite being slightly hungover from last nights work Christmas party.

Managed to complete and install the foremast gaff. Spent a while shaping walnut dowel to fit one of the gaff jaws and tapering to 2.5mm. Glued the gaff to the jaws piece and pinned in place to add strength. Cut three strips of black paper about 1mm wide and added to the gaff to simulate iron bands. Finally drilled a hole to take an eyepin once it has been stropped to a block.

post-465-0-26971300-1417889428_thumb.jpg

Made up the rest of the rigging gradually over the afternoon and fitted to the gaff, including the parral beads at the back to fit to the foremast. Gradually iterated the rigging tension until the gaff was in the correct position and all lines were correctly tensioned. Belayed all four lines to belaying pins and painted with dilute PVA to fix in place.

Currently putting some coils together to finish.

post-465-0-24265400-1417889429_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-72391400-1417889429_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-35496500-1417889430_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Thanks for the likes and comments guys.

Not too much done today as been helping to put up Chrimbo tree. I have however, added iron bands to the aft gaff and added cleats to the end of the gaff.

Also made up and tied in two coils for belayed lines. Still going to need a few more though....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo