HMS Ballahoo by jim_smits - FINISHED - Caldercraft

Right, a bit of advice and perhaps confirmation needed.

Putting together the aft gaff and rigging it up last night. Struck me that the plans do not show any rigging to control the lateral position of the gaff. The equivalent rigging is shown and complete on the foremast gaff. So, firstly, what are they called? Sheets? Braces? Secondly, would this be present on the aft gaff?

If it is present, I think that I can use eyebolts that are set into the deck at the aft by the transom and the bulwark cleats at the corners of the aft of the capping rail. Is this accurate at all?

I have ordered a copy of Global Schooner but until it arrives any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, and please correct my terminology.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I checked a few books and see that this 'vang' is also missing on the Alert (Cutter) but is in place (Called a Main Vang) in American Schooners ( When used on a modern Yacht a 'Vang' is an American Term, on this side of the pond it is called a 'Kicker' or 'Kicking Strap', but as I say this is on Modern Sailboats)

I rather suspect it is something that I would be inclined to have added myself (I'll be doing further research when I get closer to that stage, as I suspect the kit rigging plans are limited to say the least) I still find it odd that it wasn't shown in place on the Cutter Alert though, cos it would stop the Gaff from swinging wildly if nothing else (admittedly the Gaff would be lowered when it had no sail attached but what about when the sail was furled to the mast etc.?)  It is shown in rigging plans on a frigates I checked (here the sail is the Driver or Spanker) and is also called a Vang..

My guess 'Put it On !!'

Eamonn

Edit.. The Bold Text above Isn't intentional.. just a glitch twixt MSW and my Browser I think... I'm not trying to emphasise anything  :P 

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Think we were typing at the same time Mate..

The Leeward 'Vang' would be removed so as to avoid contact with the Boom.. when I say removed I mean it would be unshipped from where it is made fast to the Rail or Deck and probably re attached loosely near the Leeward Shrouds so as to be out of the way.. same goes for the Fore Mast versions.. the fore mast ones are on 'hooks' if memory serves.. I think this is so as to make them easily removed, unless you hear/find out differently I would suggest doing the same to the Main Mast 'Vangs'.

Hope this is of some help Jim

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Cheers for the posts Eamonn.

Makes sense as to why the vangs are hooked to the deck in the plans for the foremast gaff.

Managed to find diagrams in Petersson pg 26-27 showing vang pendants and also guy pendants for the boom. Will look at the eyebolts in the deck and the available cleats and plan accordingly.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Ok. Come up with a plan of action.

Firstly, I can rig vang pendants from the gaff, hooked to the deck eyebolts at the transom with the free line belayed to cleats already mounted on the inboard side of the transom.

Secondly, once the boom has been added I can add guy pendants. These, however look to need an additional pair of eyebolts mounted to the top of the capping rail on top of the transom and then belayed to the cleats mounted on the capping rail at the aft corners. this should mean everything is logocally accessible to both myself as a modeller but also to the real life crewmember. The topping lift for the boom is already in the plans anyway. 

I wont have time to look at this tonight but hopefully thursday and friday night.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Quick Question Jim.. what are Guy Pendants ? and how do they relate to the Boom (I understand the function of 'Guy's' on sail boats, but can't find them for Ballahoo types) are they to impede movement in the Boom?

All the Best

Eamonn

Quick Question Jim.. what are Guy Pendants ? and how do they relate to the Boom (I understand the function of 'Guy's' on sail boats, but can't find them for Ballahoo types) are they to impede movement in the Boom?

All the Best

Eamonn

From what I can see on the diagrams i've seen, they are essentially the equivalent of the vang pendants on the gaff. So presumably they can be used to control the position of the boom in addition to the sheet that is indicated on the plans already.

I did see a diagram somewhere on MSW today that was quite useful but didnt make a copy.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Made some major progress in the last few days.

Finished making up the boom adding rigging cleats to the end, iron straps using black paper and a saddle to hold the boom sheet rigging. Managed to get hold of two blocks of boxwood for £2. This enables carving small accessories far more easy as the walnut I've used previously tends to splinter and fall apart. Finally gave it a couple of coats of black to finish.

Next step was adding the rigging. Stropped a block under the saddle for the boom sheet and tied the end of the topping lift to the end of the boom. Not sure if it was strictly necessary but added a small boom saddle to the aft mast to help hold the boom in place. Fitted the boom to the mast and rigged the topping lift to hold the boom up. Then added the parral beads and line to hold to the mast. Finally, rigged up the sheet.

Next, added the gaff and all its associated rigging and added, in addition to the plans, a pair of vang pendants. Once the vangs were added I was able to gradually iterate the tension of the rigging to get the final position of the gaff.

All the lines have been belayed to cleats on the mast or transom. Quick question at this point..... I have coils of rope added to lines belayed to belaying pins, would there also be a coil hung from cleats and is the technique for hanging the coil the same? When I say technique, I mean in real seafaring.

Anyway.... That completes the vast majority of the rigging. I am still undecided about adding guy pendants, I need to added the appropriate finishing touches to the belayed lines and or course the anchors will need to be added. Also, trying to think of any other random deck furniture or gubbins that could be added. For instance, my Ballahoo is lacking any ammunition currently so may add some cannon balls. What is the most appropriate storage method for a schooner? In garlands or stacked or....?

Onto the anchors.....!

post-465-0-96172700-1418483066_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-02038100-1418483068_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-65612500-1418483068_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-33246200-1418483069_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-94173700-1418483069_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Made a start on the anchors last night.

Put together one of the sets of stocks and sanded smooth. The gap in the stocks is actually too large to fit the cast anchor, so I have cut a section of black paper and wrapped it around the top of the anchor to increase the size where it should be held by the stocks. Seems to have worked ok but proof will be after gluing.

Need to paint the cast piece black first off.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Couldn't comment yesterday, looking seriously nice there Jim!  So I have to ask, have you decided the next project?  ;)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Well, other than finishing Snake off?

I will be following you with a Diana kit. Having been eyeing it up for a while. I like the mix of the quarter galleries, an additional deck and cannons. Should be a great project. Not that I'll be stealing masses from yourself and Ray....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

My copy of Global Scooner arrived today. Will be reading through it this evening. After having stalked a copy on the Internet for months, with costs of at least £100, I had almost given up. Then spotted a hardback for £15 and was straight in there....!

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Pretty much completed the first anchor last night. The paper fix round the casting has helped seat it in the stocks, so that is a win. Added some iron straps with black paper and then varnished the walnut section and finished of the flukes etc in black.

The ring was made by bending a length of 1mm brass wire round a 6mm dowel and then cutting with pliers to create the ring. A little filiing to get the ends to mate snugly and it could be inserted into the anchor and bent into a complete ring.

Then spent what felt like hours tying thread around the ring. The first attempt was simply to wind thread around the metal, in the same way as serving. This didnt really work as I couldnt keep tension and then whole kept unraveling. I could have glued every turn or so but decided on another technique which was the same as my seizing method. Alternative half knots all the way round the ring. Took a while but was dead solid and not hard to do just repetitive.

The first of the cables has been threaded through the hawse holes and through the deck. Just need to do an anchor clinch adn then add the slings to the anchor and knightheads.

Also, been inspired by Gils victory log and may attempt some anchor buoys. Did see some listed in Global Schooner but is there any reason that they would not have been present on a Fish class schooner?

Will follow up with images tonight.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Pictures as promised.

Lashed the anchor to the side of the ship and then tied an anchor clinch with the anchor cable. It took a fair while to seize the sections of the clinch together as each turn required a needle to thread each half knot round the cable.

Now to repeat on the other anchor.

post-465-0-39447200-1418766625_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-51762800-1418766626_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-97221200-1418766627_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-56776500-1418766628_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-32122700-1418766629_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Made an attempt at my first nun buoy last night. Got the wooden buoy itself shaped out of a piece of scrap wood fine, but had a bit of a fail when trying to get the first set of rigging done. Fiddly to say the lease so will re-examine my technique. Gil Middleton has kindly given a couple of pointers so heopfully will try again this weekend.

I've also started putting out feelers to work on the display case. Ordered a nice bit of mahogany with a milled edge to accept a case over the top. Just investigating acrylic display cases on internet. The cost of the case and base will be around the same outlay as the model itself but should look really good.

I've also ordered some materials for an extra little project for the display that may or may not work. I show work away in secret for a while and reveal all if it works. If not, then in the bin and it will be my dirty little secret....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Looking forward to your 'Dirty Little Secret' Jim ..  ^_^  ^_^  I'm thinking hard of putting my one on a mock up of a slipway type of arrangement, (keel blocks and support timbers etc.)

Best of luck with the Anchor Buoy.. they do look fiddly.

Eamonn

Very nice Jim, where did you get the anchor rope? - looks awesome.  One question I've got on the anchors which seem to be inconsistently shown in different references, some show it as you have, others show the sides of the stock tapered similar to the bottom so it has a square profile at the end, curious how you decided on your approach.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jason,

To answer your questions:

I got the anchor cable from Chuck Passaro. It's great stuff and will be replacing the current cable on the Snake.

As for the anchor stock, I did see the sides tapered in literature and I think I've seen straight and to be brutally honest it was less effort to leave them straight....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Minor update - the second anchor is now on and cables etc rigged in place. Managed to produce the first nun buoy but don't have any pictures at the moment. I will update when I return after Chrimbo as I will be up in Costa del Coventry for a couple of days or so.

So until then Merry Chrimbo all!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Happy new year first off.

Just a quick update as I've technically not made a huge amount of progress. I've ordered a (hopefully) nice base and acrylic cover for the ballahoo, which should hopefully arrive in a week or so. Also ordered and received material for my 'twist' on the mounting, which I am now making a start on attempting to produce. Still keeping it schtum until I can make it a success or not.

As for the nun buoys, I haven't made a start on the second as of yet. I was also wondering, as I can't seem to find any info, what the rope lengths and stowage would be for the nun buoys when not actually in use. I think that the buoy would be hung from the foremost shroud roughly above the anchor stowage, but I've no idea about the two sets of rope that would be attached. Anyone got any ideas?

On the rest of the build I think I will add guy pendants to the boom and a lanyard to the gaff.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Good stuff Jim, can't help with accurate Buoy Rope lengths I'm afraid, but would expect them to be at least as long as the water these vessels anchor in is deep, I seriously doubt they anchored in 'Deep' water as they simply wouldn't have enough Anchor Rope on board (there is a ratio for length of Anchor Rope to be used against depth of water.. modern vessels for example approx. 6:1 or 7:1, and a lot more in dirty weather or areas with bad holding etc, (rem they were rope not chain, so go for bigger Ratios) therefore if you can find out the length of Anchor Rope actually carried on board then this should give some reference point to the Buoy Rope Length)

To be honest a coil of line that looks about right should do the job.. say about 3/4 the length of the Deck (40 feet ish in 'real' world)  :D

Hope that is of some help Jim

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Edited by egkb