Rattlesnake by scott larkins - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Hi Scott -- It's been way too long since I checked in on your progress.  Whoa! it looks great!  I really like the sails, and your rigging is well done.

Congratulations on the new bathroom.  We did that this past spring (and found a squirrel nest behind the old tub :o ).  After the huge mess was cleared up, we were relieved and happy to have a new, bigger, updated bathroom.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I need help.  A while back, last year perhaps, someone posted a pic of some Rattlesnake base/stand measurements made out of wood that would "cradle" the ship hull.  It had measurements drawn and all of that good stuff.  I would like to make those stands and not rely on the brass ones you purchase that basically only hold on to the keel of the ship.  To me that seems too "iffy" to hold a ship after spending almost 2 years building it.  I can't imagine it would take much to snap the keel.  I did a search and obviously came up blank.

Do any of you have the link or can point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

I too have my misgivings about those keel pedestals. Unless you built the hull to take the screws from the pedestal and hold them strong, I believe to cradle is the way to go, If you are referring to the type of stand shown in this Mamoli image, a simple way to get the shape of the hull is to use a contour gauge. The one shown is from Micro-Mark. Just transfer the contour to slabs of wood and use a jig-saw.

post-1370-0-19415700-1441025208_thumb.jpg

post-1370-0-41856600-1441025247.jpg

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Yeah, that is what I am looking for as a stand but I was hoping not to purchase the contour guage.  I'm only building this ship and the Niagara and then probably done with ships all together.  I've already purchased a ton of things that will probably never be used after the Niagara is done.  Don't mean to sound cheap, but realistic.

I will have to keep that in mind though if someone doesn't post the pic.  I'd rather buy the guage, make a good solid base that actually holds the ship then fall to my knees crying and asking the gods why those metal little keel posts snapped my keel.  LOL :o

Didn't your kit come with the cradle stand?  If it didn't, you probably don't even need the contour gague.  Just measure the width of the hull where you want to cradle it, and then cut two matching cradles, with a couple of supports that run fore to aft.  You could probably make this from scrap leftover from the bulkheads.

Prince de Neufchatel

I think this is what Martin is referring to. Its a crude rendering but with a few added cross supports, taper the top edge, and maybe add a decoration or two, it would be simple to make, no gauge to buy, and most of all, do the job.

post-1370-0-18311600-1441043445_thumb.png

Here's the cradle I made for the Evergreen

post-1370-0-07484100-1441043952_thumb.jpg

post-1370-0-25998400-1441043996_thumb.jpg

Scott -- I looked through my boxes of remnants last night, certain that I had the cradle from my Rattlesnake kit.  I couldn't find it, but I did come across the cradle for my current build, the Fly.  Here are the four pieces laid out:

post-1223-0-04896300-1441209806.jpg

You can see how the two end pieces are cut to hold the hull, and the two side pieces are simply the braces for the ends.  You can add decoration to the sides, and you can use better wood than this ply that you see here.  But overall, this is the basic idea.

Hope it helps,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Okay, finished the life boat's oars and roped the life boat onto the main deck.  You can see in this first pick that I used, what I term, a poor man's laithe.  I used my hand drill, put a small square dowel in, clamped in gently in my variable speed drill and then turned in on.  As the dowel spun I gently cupped it in a strip of sand paper until the square dowel was round.

post-8513-0-66921300-1441417310.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

And in picture, the putting together of the Gaff.  My only regret was not putting the sail rings on before I put the platform on the mizzen mast.  I had to form brass around a wood dowel, bend the brass so that it slightly over lapped.  I then had unbent the brass ring, put it around the mizzen mast and then rebent the ring around the mast.  Then I tied a rope around the ring, at one end of the ring overlap, used a needle to put the rope through the sail, then put the rope around the ring, at the other end of the brass over lap, and simply knotted it.  Not an easy task.  They came out okay but hardly professional.  So my suggestion, put those rings on before you put the platform on.  I guess I wasn't thinking some 20 steps ahead this time.  Heed my warning if you have not gotten this far yet.  The rest of the rope and masts were as to plan, just follow the instructions.

post-8513-0-33803800-1441417789_thumb.jpg

post-8513-0-47879500-1441417817_thumb.jpg

post-8513-0-68215700-1441417843.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

At this point, I am officially done.  I will post finished pics in a few days when I have some good outside day light to give my first attempt at ship building a better color scheme.  It has taken me 1 year to do the ship and masts, 9 months to do the yard arms, sails and ropes.

Edited by scott larkins

Looking awesome, Scott! You should be proud of your work. That is a fine model. I can only hope that my Rattlesnake will turn out that well once I build it.

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Very, very nice, you should be proud, and you did it in under two years. I'm still at it, six years and counting. Now you need a nice case and a prominent spot to show it off.

Jonathan

You'll have to show us the progress pictures of the display

Works for me

Fantastic! I love the simple stand. I've been lurking, following along, and your photos of the finished Rattlesnake have inspired me to get back to mine after a nearly two-year hiatus. I posted a new question on my build log, and was wondering if any Rattlesnake vets (not the other kind of rattlesnake vet) would mind having a look at it?

Fantastic job Scott.  Your Rattlesnake is awesome I like the colors as well as the lines.

David B