HMS Victory by Einstein Taylor - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

I love the TV tray!

I'm trying to convince the admiral that I need a 32" TV to put on the wall in the shipyard.  She's not going for it yet.  

I'll be curious to follow your Wasa build as I'm thinking that might be my next major build.  

My plan as of right now is to bash the hell out of this Victory kit.  Once it's finished I am going to build the cross section and display them together in the same case.  After that, I'm thinking the Wasa will be next.

Of course by then we may all be living on starships so who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the one from Alexy (on this site) and have been very happy with it - well made, easy to use, prompt service from Russia. They do exactly what the name suggests - they help you to "serve" line, which is basically wrapping one thicker line with a thinner line. You can do this by hand (a real pain), or you can make your own as several people here have. Check out Andy's (realworki gsailor) build log iff you want to see a home made one.

You won't need to use one for quite a while yet, but it's always good to buy the little extras as and when you can afford them. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like you're making some fine progress there Sean. The first planking does seem like it takes forever, but once it's done and sanded you'll feel a real sense of accomplishment at achieving a major milestone.

• 1 month later...

Both sides first planking is finished. Have one side slathered with filler. Once it dries the other side will get it too so that I can begin sanding and fine shaping.

I think after that I will install the guns and the upper deck and then finish planking upwards before starting the second planking.

post-8967-0-16006400-1397936232_thumb.jpg

Well done on achieving a major milestone Sean. You'll really feel good once you sand the filler back and see the final hull shape emerge.

Grant,(or any other experts),

I've got the hull shaped and the gun ports painted and am about to start the planking of the inside part of the upper gun deck.

The Mamoli instructions say they should be painted in yellow ochre but every picture I have ever seen shows the gun decks as white. Just another Mamoli error?

Sean,

I'm not an expert, but I went with yellow ochre. I honestly can't remember what the actual ship has (and I was on board her just last Sep!). If you post this question separately (outside of your build log) you may get more answers from the other more knowledgeable folk here.

• 7 months later...

Hey all. Haven't forgotten or abandoned this. Been a busy year. Started grad school. Wife had a baby, rearranged house to accommodate said baby(resulted in a much upgraded ship yard). Had paused work on the Victory to try to finish my galleon project. Now I'm back to Victory while I wait on sewing help for the sails for my galleon(visible in background).

Attached are pictures off new shipyard and progress on second planking.

post-8967-0-92292600-1418241406_thumb.jpg

post-8967-0-01295500-1418241416_thumb.jpg

Grant(or anyone else that has built this kit),

I could use a little help.  I'm getting ready to build the guns for the upper gun-deck so that I can then install the quarter-deck and keep building/planking my way up.  In doing so however, I have counted only 28 of the large carriage mounted guns, and 10 of the smaller carriage-mounted guns.  I also have 38 carriages, so it seems like this is intentional.  The problem is, that the main gun deck has 30 gun ports, so my question then..am I supposed to use 1 of the smaller guns per side on the upper gun deck, or did Mamoli short me 2 guns and 2 carriages?

Hi Sean,

I just went and counted what's on my model and I have 30 plus 10, so it looks like Mamoli has stiffed you two guns/carriages. If you can't get replacements (which might be difficult after the fire they had), then two options might be to leave one port closed on each side (say, under the poop deck), or leave two ports closed on the "wall" side.

Just had another thought Sean,

Try checking with somewhere like Cornwall Model Boats. They carry lots of parts from the various manufacturers and might have some suitable canons.

Thanks for checking so quickly! I'm considering a couple of options...Cornwall has a 4 pack of brass cannons with carriages that I could paint and be pretty close. Hobby Lobby also has a small casting kit and I think I could cast the barrels I need and scratch build some carriages.

The guns from Cornwall are cheaper but everything I order from them takes about 3 weeks to arrive. Decisions, decisions.

Looking good Sean. Have you considered sourcing your blocks from Chuck's Syren company? They look to be first class - way better than any other commercially available blocks.

Hey. A great job on your cannons, and the rest of your build. The paint job on the cannons has worked out well. Is there brackets with the carridges to keep the cannon swivels in there slots?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I have looked at Syren's and they are indeed first rate work. For as small as these are and as difficult as they will be to see I couldn't justify the cost on these guns. I am still considering them for much of the other rigging if the admiral will approve the purchase.

Good catch on the brackets. I do have them and am just waiting for the paint to dry. This was the gun I used for test fitting all my gun frames and so just haven't put the brackets on yet.