HMS Victory by Einstein Taylor - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Merry Christmas to you as well Grant and to all the MSW'ers here.  I got the two guns from Cornwall to replace the two that Mamoli shorted me on.  They are close enough that you shouldn't be able to tell which is which once the quarterdeck is on.  I have glued in all "hidden" guns and am working on putting all the eye-bolts and so on on the visible guns.  

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback on the gun rigging.

post-8967-0-93840700-1419727342_thumb.jpg

Your guns look great. I can imagine they are real fidley. I like the way the deck has come up. Great job.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Not much to report.  Fairly tedious going at this point.  Making rope, making eye bolts, making hooks, etc...

Couple more pictures to prove I'm still at it.

Also learned that a very useful set of rigging tools can be had from a suture kit.  The suture removal kit also has some useful tools.  There is a story that actually involves sutures and one of my kids behind how I came to be in possession of the kits but I highly recommend them, and surprisingly they can be gotten quite cheaply online.

post-8967-0-24119500-1420265156_thumb.jpg

post-8967-0-00232100-1420265159_thumb.jpg

post-8967-0-01094900-1420265336_thumb.jpg

Lookin great , Its just a pity as i discovered that a lot of the cannon rigging detail will be barely visible once the deck goes on ,but its a great way to learn what you want for the uncovered top deck , i have been thinking of doing my top deck with the cannons pulled in , just for a change ,but haven,t tried it yet ?

Yeah a lot of it is covered up, that's for sure.  That's why a lot of my guns aren't rigged since they are completely covered.  

I've been pondering what to do on the Quarterdeck guns.  I think I want them all run out just to complete the effect on the model, but I haven't decided about the train tackle.  I feel like I'm obligated to put them on since I did on these guns, but I worry about that tackle taking up a lot of space on the quarterdeck and making things look cluttered.  

Many pictures of professional builds show the cannons with out the train tackle ,sometimes less is more . I get your point about looking cluttered and often wonder what real ships looked like with ropes and tackle all over the place ,but then maybe that,s how it was ?. As someone pointed out to me there is so much to look at smaller detail may not even be noticed except by the builder of-course  .There are no hard and fast rules ,i tend to go with what i think looks right , your build ,your decision . Remember ,how many experienced builders will be looking at it , bar yourself that is ????

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work Sean. You'll be pleased to be moving on to something a bit different now.

Question about planking the quarterdeck. The instructions are showing the quarterdeck not being planked until after the poop deck is on.

That seems like it would make it difficult to plank and sand evenly. Should I plank that deck before placing the quarterdeck or will that cause me problems later?

Sean,

This is one of those cases where you've got to look at the instructions, read them carefully, study the ship, read the instructions again, look at the plans, read the instructions again, and then throw them away!!!! ;)  Then go ahead and plank the quarterdeck. 

The fitting of the poop deck is the biggest "paint you into a corner" in these instructions for this kit.  See also my note in post (#8) on page 1 of your log re fitting of cannons to the quarterdeck BEFORE you fit the poop deck.

• 4 months later...

Still making progress slowly but surely. Don't have a picture right now but last night I finally finished all of the first planking for the entire hull. I have the quarterdeck and poopdeck glued on(making sure to place the guns that are covered up first).

I'm about 70% finished with second planking so I'm coming very close to a major milestone.

looking great!  I've learned much about rigging the cannons.  This kit is sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to finish my current build.  I can't wait.  I follow your build very closely!

Marc

• 5 months later...

I haven't actually disappeared.  Between grad school, a new baby, and a new job, my time had been limited.  The baby is now a year old, and my masters degree is finished so I'm back at it and of course seeking suggestions.

I have finally finished the second planking above the waterline.  Currently I am filling and then going to sand everything.  My question is at what point do you recommend painting the hull?  My thinking right now is to do the copper plating first, and then mask and paint before starting work on the bow and stern gallery but thought I would ask here first.

• 3 weeks later...