Oseberg ship by Von_Kossa - Billing Boats - Scale 1:25, 800 A.D (First wooden ship build)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am just getting ready to start this kit. It will be my first attempt at building a model ship. I was wondering how important it is for the keelstrip laser cuts to line up with the drawing dimensions? When I lay the keelstrip on the drawing the cutouts for the frames do not line up.

I am finding your build log very helpful and informative.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the great photos.  I have the Billings Oseberg kit from years ago and none of the planks are laser cut.  I got half a dozen sheets of thin plywood with printing on them.  It will be hours of bandsaw work and sanding to get these things ready. 

What did you use for your shield centers?  I was thinking of making new shields similar to yours.

Thanks for all of the great photos.  I have the Billings Oseberg kit from years ago and none of the planks are laser cut.  I got half a dozen sheets of thin plywood with printing on them.  It will be hours of bandsaw work and sanding to get these things ready. 

What did you use for your shield centers?  I was thinking of making new shields similar to yours.

Really? Oh! I just ordered that kit, but was sure that they are pre-cut... Maybe it's because your kit is old? 

Edited by Mike Y

Zeus cat...

I too am about to attempt this build I have the Billings#518 Oseberg kit with the plastic shields.

There are 3 versions of this Kit I have found and it sounds like yours is a predecessor to them all! there is your kit  with no cut outs which I reckon is an early Billings#518 then there is a Billings#518 with the parts laser cut and plastic shields/scroll work. a Billings#720 laser cut and plastic shields/scroll work and a Billings#720 laser cut with beautiful wooden shields/scroll work This last one I believe is the Anniversary model.

By the way Love the name, I have a Bengal cat named Zeus ;)

My name comes from a cat we had years ago; he acted more like a dog than a cat.

It sounds like I have the original Billings kit #518.  My kit has plastic shields and plastic scroll work.  And all the wood for the hull has a red hue, sort of like cedar or redwood.  It is also rather fragile and several pieces have broken will I was cutting them.  They are also badly warped.  I was thinking of steaming and clamping them to get them flat (or at least flatter).

• 1 month later...

Status update:

This project is not dead, and apparently neither is this build log... After one year i think it´s time to do something again. :)

Yesterday i removed a thick layer of dust.

And i have layed one more row of floor planks.

For some reason unknown to me i have not received any updates to my e-mail that people has responded to this log or sent me personal messages...

Zeus cat...

I too am about to attempt this build I have the Billings#518 Oseberg kit with the plastic shields.

There are 3 versions of this Kit I have found and it sounds like yours is a predecessor to them all! there is your kit  with no cut outs which I reckon is an early Billings#518 then there is a Billings#518 with the parts laser cut and plastic shields/scroll work. a Billings#720 laser cut and plastic shields/scroll work and a Billings#720 laser cut with beautiful wooden shields/scroll work This last one I believe is the Anniversary model.

By the way Love the name, I have a Bengal cat named Zeus ;)

Yepp. Thats right, my first ordered model had the plastic parts, i returned it and phoned every modelshop i could find here in Sweden, eventually i found a shop in Sundsvall if i remember correctly who was kind enough to open a kit and verify it had the wooden parts.

Sorry for interrupting, just to finish the discussions about various kit versions.

Just got my BB720 kit, with wooden shields. That's what inside:

post-5430-0-81108400-1389770896_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-76286800-1389770913_thumb.jpg

Wooden shields, really nice one: 

post-5430-0-44346700-1389770926_thumb.jpg

Plywood bulkheads, plywood looks really low quality, but not warped. Let's see how it will behave:

post-5430-0-68505600-1389770946_thumb.jpg

Bow decorations, they are laser burnt, really good quality, no burn marks. You can paint it any way you want.

post-5430-0-24140000-1389770977_thumb.jpg

Sorry for interrupting, just to finish the discussions about various kit versions.

Just got my BB720 kit, with wooden shields. That's what inside:

attachicon.gifPhoto 2014-01-14 20 59 25.jpg

attachicon.gifPhoto 2014-01-14 20 59 56.jpg

Wooden shields, really nice one: 

attachicon.gifPhoto 2014-01-14 21 00 33.jpg

Plywood bulkheads, plywood looks really low quality, but not warped. Let's see how it will behave:

attachicon.gifPhoto 2014-01-14 21 01 03.jpg

Bow decorations, they are laser burnt, really good quality, no burn marks. You can paint it any way you want.

attachicon.gifPhoto 2014-01-14 21 02 19.jpg

Let me point out that all the laser cut ones are plywood.

The shields are plywood, so are the decorations... Most of the things in this kit are plywood. :(

But the good thing with the kit is that it is close to the original ship, the only one as far as i know.

As you can see, you got the anniversary edition, that´s why you got the plywood shields etc. Notice the round blob in the upper corner of the package, telling us it is 50 years anniversary.

Hm, maybe we have a different defitions of "plywood". In my kit, shields are on a single-layer sheet of some wood, there is no other layers and no glue. They are quite thin, 1.5mm probably.

You made the lap planking look easy! Really nice job keeping the plank edges flowing evenly. Love the view from the end with the upward curving planks. Well done!

Best wishes,

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hm, maybe we have a different defitions of "plywood". In my kit, shields are on a single-layer sheet of some wood, there is no other layers and no glue. They are quite thin, 1.5mm probably.

Weird.. My was 3 layered plywood, with the middle layer darked as usual. Öhr... or at least that is how i remember it. I might be wrong on this particular one.

But i am absolutely certain about the decorations being plywood, because i removed the second and third layer just keeping the first layer with the scroll work to make it as thin as possible.

Frustration!!!....

As i said a couple of posts above i have begun finising the deck of the boat. Using 1,8x12x610 mm Obechi planks from Billing Boats. Because of several factors including my own fault i came to the conclusion i had to get a set more of these planks. No problem i thought, i  had seen them being sold here in Stockholm in the number one model shop here.

So today i brought the children and headed for the shop. To my surprise they were sold out... Well, what the F*** i thought, but they can probably easily order some more. The guy i was talking to looked at Billing Boats spare parts in the computer and said "well, this is strange this part is not listed here, only 1,8x10x???, so i can not order it but i will try to call them and ask them" . Haaaaaaahahahahahaaaaa why does this always happen me! :(

Hi, Just came across your build. I've done Billings 'Roar Ege' Which I'm very fond of, now that it's done. I would really like to do the Oseberg as well. Have you seen the 'Saga Osebergwbsite? They sail her a lot. There are, or were, lots of shots of her being built. The Vikingship Museum also has a website and they both have facebook pages with lots of pictures. Thinking about that nifty scrollwork, There are references to Viking ships ' glittering with gold and silver'....

You're doing some seriously nice work on her! I would have thought that the decking could easily be replace with nicer wood than Obeche anyway, most model ship places stock other woods either in strip or sheet, like Lime, for instance.

Best,

Fraser

Hi, Just came across your build. I've done Billings 'Roar Ege' Which I'm very fond of, now that it's done. I would really like to do the Oseberg as well. Have you seen the 'Saga Osebergwbsite? They sail her a lot. There are, or were, lots of shots of her being built. The Vikingship Museum also has a website and they both have facebook pages with lots of pictures. Thinking about that nifty scrollwork, There are references to Viking ships ' glittering with gold and silver'....

You're doing some seriously nice work on her! I would have thought that the decking could easily be replace with nicer wood than Obeche anyway, most model ship places stock other woods either in strip or sheet, like Lime, for instance.

Best,

Fraser

You are right, it was stupid to even begin using the Obeche, but now that i have done so many rows i don´t want to start over.

Frustration!!!....

here in Stockholm in the number one model shop here.

By the way, what shop do you mean? I'm quite new in Stockholm, would appreciate any hints!

I only know Materialbutiken on Södermalm, they have some wood and tools, but they are quite universal. Is there a better shop, more focused on modelling?

Thought I'd post a few pix I took of the full sized vessel I had the fortune to visit last Sept.

perhaps it might help in the construction details.

post-9806-0-47305700-1389908763_thumb.jpg

above View of the rudder attachment to the hull

another view

post-9806-0-08823900-1389908884_thumb.jpg

and now a view of the tiller which is inserted into the rudder post.

post-9806-0-60176900-1389908959_thumb.jpg

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thought I'd post a few pix I took of the full sized vessel I had the fortune to visit last Sept.

perhaps it might help in the construction details.

attachicon.gifNor rudder hanging detail.jpg

above View of the rudder attachment to the hull

another view

attachicon.gifNor rudder hanging detail # 2.jpg

and now a view of the tiller which is inserted into the rudder post.

attachicon.gifNor Viking tiller.jpg

S.os

Nice pictures, interesting that they fixed the rudder to the hull with a large nail, the billing boat kit also wants you to do the same, i did some research into the topic and it seems like the correct (and most logical) way was to use a rope instead of nail. That way you can actually move the rudder. :)

Did you take any close ups around the mast fish?

Unfortunately no.

But in the gift section there was a  book about the detailed construction of such ships.

I suppose it might be possible to contact the gift book department of the museum. With a little luck and perseverance it would be obtainable.

post-9806-0-33323700-1389910790_thumb.jpg

S.os

PS Yes they did use a knotted rope for the actual attachment.

Edited by Senior ole salt

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

• 4 weeks later...