Corsair by Kamil - OcCre - Scale 1:80 - first wooden ship

Hi Mobbsie! Well looks like I need to do more quarters in my ship, because more and more people following this log (that's nice off course):D.

Hmm scrapping? I read somewhere about that, that's its giving nice wood structure and sanding can ruin it. Will try. Need to ask Sjors where i can buy something to do it, because i assume i need a special tool for that?

So welcome aboard and enjoy :D.

Kamil

Curent build:Brigantine Corsair by Kamil-OcCre-1:80.

graphics-pirates-116081.gif
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

And about the color of the boards was qiute easy. I have a paint from Humbrol nr 160. I took a bit and add solvent :). I get very liquid paint because i wanted to get this color looking as much as possible to natural one. (i love the color of dark wood :)).

Kamil

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

Welcome again. Here are some more progress. The rudder blade is finish :). Was hell to do it :(. Lot of measuring, correcting etc. But after one hour i made it :D. On place the side windows, and the frames for canons windows.

Also just finished a cat davits. Was a bit problem because i need to do them by my self and instruction didn't say any specification on it, how big the holes, where to make a place for it on the deck. But here are the results :D.

And I need your advice guys. In instruction it says that those "cats" need to be exactly on this same level as deck, as you can see on the pictures it doesn't. So:

a) should I leave it like that

B) Remove forecastle deck and put it higher

c) like i show on the 2 picture there is just enough place to put another wood under it.

With option will be the best? I`m thinking about option "b" but I`m afraid that the planks will not fit exactly to the bulwarks anymore.

post-9619-0-80451300-1392496937_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-32512300-1392497075_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-10503900-1392497084_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-87568300-1392497095_thumb.jpg

Kamil

Hi Kamil,

Looks good !

I measured mine and they are sticking out 18 mm.

Also they are level with the railing .

Maybe this helps you.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Sjors. Thanks for measurement this will help. About the height i know that they need to be leveled with the railings but also it need to touch the forecastle deck. So the conclusion is that my deck is too low about 4-5 mm.  So I think the best option is to put it higher.... Bit afraid that will give me much of extra work. Will see today...

Kamil

Yes. I glued the forecastle too low. On the pictures its not saying clear enough how high or where to place it and here are the results. So first I will try to dry fit the deck higher and if its now gonna be good for me I still can put the deck back and put something under the catheads.

Kamil

Hi Kamil,

Catheads, the beam that you have under the starboard cathead, all you need to do is to shape that beam to fit the bulwark and place it across the deck under both catheads, a lot of ships had this system as part of the cathead assembly and will not look out of place.

For me it would be option "C", shape the timbers so that they lie in an inverted V shape with the point at the centre in line with the bow peak.

All you need to check is the lay of the anchor rope from the haws back.

Maybe a solution for you.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Welcome all. 

@mobbsie Thank you for your post. Especially after you edited your post i get the point what you meant :P

@David I also kind like the dubbel cathead they look "strong-massive"

But unfortunately i choose option 'B'. The reason is that I looked further in instructions (pictures) and later i need to add just in front a forecastle deck some kind of pillar (forget the name already), so i check the dimensions of this piece and its 20mm high, where my deck was only 10mm above the main deck. (so David it can be useful for you later B))

Now everything looks like it should. Plus i had busy day today and make some extras :P

post-9619-0-71812800-1392840764_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-03015300-1392840775_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-52895300-1392840785_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-26796200-1392840794_thumb.jpg

Kamil

Kamil you have done a wonderful work so far. I like the colours you've made. When you reach the cannons, make'em black. I bought in Poland (via allegro) a blackening substance. Previously, I was painting the metal parts and the outcome was so-so. 

Any questions- don't hesitate to ask and write.

Cheers,

BTW thanks for some tips in PM

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Hi Pawel.It`s nice that you like it :). About the cannons i`m not sure. They are already "painted" by OcCre, some kind of "old" golden kolor i think, will post the picture when i`m back from work :P. What`s the name of the blackening substance? It will be easier to find it (and maybe I can buy it in Holland) and also you have tried so i`m sure its good.

About the tips, you are welcome and also dont hesitate to ask for more  :).

Edited by Kamil

Kamil

Hi David. I sanded the hull (second layer) by hand. its saver and more accurate :). I use a Dremel for a small work (like shaping small parts of wood before placing at correct place) etc I found it really useful :).

Kamil

Welcome all. Well here is some more pictures of my progress. I`m slowly adding more and more details :).

Also have a problem with a boat for my ship. The boards (railings) are precut from the plywood and they don't fitt to each other.... Think I will write to OcCre about that :/.

post-9619-0-88508400-1393430958_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-64356600-1393430969_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-46118900-1393431430_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-05946600-1393436614_thumb.jpg

Kamil

Hi Kamil,

The ship looks great !

Strange that the board not fits on the long boat.

I had no problems with that.

But we will see what OcCre is saying about that.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I can see nice progress here :) Any plans what to do with unmatching fittings of the long boat?

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Hi Pawel. I`m trying to do my best with the ship :). Unfortunetly I will not work at here this weekend because I`m having beta test od The Elder Scrolls Online-it`s a game i`m waiting now for... 10 years and finally they decided to realise it :D. So I will wait with build after the weekend :P. \

For the long boat i think I will do it my own ones, just like I did with the board for Corsair.

Kamil

Good idea. Place some pics of your build scratch then. Good luck with your game as well :)

Paweł

Finished projects:

Hi all. Here is my progress with the canons :D. I think its quite unusual but it fits my expectations. Was thinking how I can make the canons black without using paint. Then I remembered that as a kinds we use to make thinks black (sticks, metal arts) in an open flame. Because I cannot make campfire in home I used candle. Problem is that the black cote is not permanent and as soon as you touch it it going off. So the solution was a wax from the candle. After that the coating is quite hard enough for it :D. I decided to leave the wax to cool down it self, because you can get and nice and natural look of the surface, I tried to cool it down in a cold water but then you are getting a glossy look with is not fitting to the canons. Here are the pictures and results.

post-9619-0-27546600-1393685910_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-48729000-1393685918_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-35691900-1393685928_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-81545600-1393685937_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-30580000-1393685948_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-53624700-1393685957_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-13550600-1393685966_thumb.jpg

post-9619-0-90924300-1393685975_thumb.jpg

Kamil

Hi guys. Glad you like it :).

But going back to the longboat, this is what OcCre writes me back:

Dear Sir,

have checked parts and indeed the boat to waned and is more small.

This is because the casting molds are shrinking as parts are manufactured and now the piece of wood is more big.

We are going to correct in the kits, but so you can fix it quickly indicate to fix them with slats if that they have left him in the Assembly of the Corsair,

Cap the gaps that remain.

i need some advice more dudeen not contact OcCre.

Cordial greetings.

care

OcCre

customer

So, I know my English is not perfect, but the way they are writing is make me confused :P. I just don't understand the fraze: I need some advice more dudeen not contact OcCre" - any of you guys now what that mean?

But at least they will try to fix it in next kits :).

Kamil

Um that is not an English sentence I am aware of....but the gist may be "if you need more advice do not hesitate to contact OcCre". Maybe someone else can translate it better but I assume there is some translation error there. Good luck and let me know how the fix goes :) :) :)

David     :pirate41:

First Build: Corsair Brigantine

• The title was changed to Corsair by Kamil - OcCre - Scale 1:80 - first wooden ship