Wasa by fmodajr - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hola Frank,

you really made a good job with the cannon and carriages, they look very nice.  By the way I use the Patina product that are sold for stained glass to make the bronze cannons look older and it works pretty well.

Saludos, Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the information about the Patina product. I started diluting my paint about 5 to 1 and it went on too thin so I went with a ratio of 3 to 1 and I think it went on too thick!! Oh well. 

P.S. I stopped by your log today and I loved the work you did on the stern lantern. I will need all the help I can get when I reach that stage of the build. Great job!

Frank

Thanks Frank.  Indeed the BB lantern looks much better than the Corel one, and besides the upper part of the lantern I think the rest can be done with no problem.  If I can help you don´t hesitate to ask.  

Saludos, Karl

Nice look to the rope coils.I hung mine on the sides of the carriages to keep them off the deck - just my preference.Makes it easier to clean any dust off the deck surfaces.

/Mark

Hi Mark!

Thanks for you input. It is appreciated!

Yes, I agree hanging the coils on the sides would have been better. However, I made the carriages a little bit smaller lengthwise, in order to have them stay some distance from the grating. So with this situation, they would have been hanging off the back wheels, hence I put them on the deck!

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Made some more progress on the model!

Started work on some of the deck fittings. I cut out the slots for the sheaves and made the bottoms for the stanchions.

post-951-0-41817100-1400618411_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-13493600-1400618421_thumb.jpg

Now I inserted the sheaves, pinned the bottoms (to help keep them in place on the deck), gold leafed and fit the head figurines to the stanchions, and made the belay pin racks.

post-951-0-20898500-1400618431_thumb.jpg

Some photos of the finished assembly's on the deck

post-951-0-08067700-1400618442_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-79314300-1400618451_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-16784000-1400618459_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-74897800-1400618470_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-75524100-1400618478_thumb.jpg

The Corel kit plans call for a small railing behind the foremast, where the ladder to the lower level is, and a larger railing in front of the mizzenmast (above the 2 doors on the main deck. I do not see these railings on the Vasa Museum plans, the 1/10 scale model or in Landstrom's book. Am I missing something? Or should I install them or leave them off? 

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Frank

All depends Frank, if you want to be a purist dont put the railings, otherwise is your model and make what you think looks better.

Saludos, Karl

I didn`t put those railings on mine - just my preference.After thinking about it  - it does seem a little strange that they would have no railings around these areas.One false step & down you go! :o

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

All depends Frank, if you want to be a purist dont put the railings, otherwise is your model and make what you think looks better.

Saludos, Karl

Thanks for the fine input Karl! I know there are so many areas of my model that don't match the original (and I'm sure there will be other areas when I start the rigging  :) ) However, if I can change something to make it closer to the original, I probably should do it! We'll see. I have some thinking to do!

Thanks,

Frank

I didn`t put those railings on mine - just my preference.After thinking about it  - it does seem a little strange that they would have no railings around these areas.One false step & down you go!  :o

/Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks! Yes, It is strange! I Guess the Vasa didn't last long enough for the ship builders to get enough data on whether or not railings should be added  :) 

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the Capstan. I drilled out the holes of the Corel Capstan and squared them up.

post-951-0-23602000-1401912016_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-93064200-1401912029_thumb.jpg

Installed the base for the capstan

post-951-0-45801000-1401912040_thumb.jpg

I removed the large base from the Corel capstan, added the 6 vertical pieces and shaped in-between.

post-951-0-17476400-1401912051_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-57711100-1401912062_thumb.jpg

Installed the capstan to the base

post-951-0-89510500-1401912077_thumb.jpg

Finished capstan

post-951-0-95813200-1401912093_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-24655600-1401912101_thumb.jpg

I decided to add the small railing around the opening to the lower deck

and leave off the stern railings (in front of the mizzen mast) that the Corel kit called for.

Stanchions pinned to deck.

post-951-0-51154800-1401912558_thumb.jpg

Finished railing

post-951-0-04473800-1401912566_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-26198500-1401912574_thumb.jpg

Now turning my attention to the channels!

Thanks,

Frank

Hello everyone!

I am a bit of a novice here, though I have built a lot of model airplanes. But some years ago I started with a Corel Wasa and completed most of the hull with an acceptable result for planking and finish. I have now retired from work and will have a lot of time. Therefore I thought I would start with Wasa again. But the stern is hopelessly inaccurate and I missed making the interior of the gunports before planking. So, shall I buy a new Corel and start from scratch again, using all the excellent blogs here?

But then I got a fantastic idea!

I will buy a Billing Wasa, which cost considerble less than a Corel boat, probably because of better details in Corel. The hull of Billing's Wasa is, as I have understood, more accurate. And after that I can use all the excellent details and rigging stuff from my first Corel model.

But I have to learn the best way to make tree-nails, and also find a way to get black metal-nails. Perhaps using some small round Nails and cut off the head? 

Hi Tom,

Thanks for visiting my log!

When I started my Corel Vasa 2 1/2 years ago, I didn't realize how inaccurate it was. If I had to do it over again, I would have done a lot more research into kit selection. I understand from other logs that the Billings kit is more accurate, but I am sure that the members who are building the Billings version can speak more knowledgeably about how the kit is to build!

As for the metal nails, I just order mine from micromark.com. Once I get the sizes I need, I dip them in a chemical blackener to turn them black. The product I use is " JAX Pewter Black" but I am sure there are plenty of other products out there.

If you decide to continue with the Corel kit, I think there must be ways to get the interior of the gun ports installed after the fact. Will have to think on that a bit!

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

Nice update. Nice job squaring the capstan holes.

Your pre-inserting the upper and lower deck gun carriages sure is getting the attention that it deserves. Brilliant idea. Also tooooo late for my build (:-(  I'm mentally running ideas on how to incorporate at least the carriage sides when I insert the dummies. Hmmmm solution TBD. Your idea was visionary. 

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Frank,

Nice update. Nice job squaring the capstan holes.

Your pre-inserting the upper and lower deck gun carriages sure is getting the attention that it deserves. Brilliant idea. Also tooooo late for my build (:-(  I'm mentally running ideas on how to incorporate at least the carriage sides when I insert the dummies. Hmmmm solution TBD. Your idea was visionary. 

Michael

Thanks for the post Michael (and the help with the capstan)!

I am now cutting and shaping the wood for the channels and figuring out what I need to install the deadeyes and chain plates.

I hope your cannon rigging is going well!

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Hola Frank:

I know that your kit is different from mine but I would like to know how are the ropes of the higher spars of the Main mast are fixed to deck because I found two versions in the instructions of my kit, one in the Manual and the other in the Plan (nothing new) as you can see in the picture.

post-797-0-48533500-1403120866_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-87887100-1403120874_thumb.jpg

The same applies to the foremast.

Saludos, Karl

Hello Karl,

You are ahead of me in the build, but I think I found what you are looking for. 

The Corel plans shows the rigging of the mainmast yards onto the deck. (I don't know how accurate the Corel plans are. I know that the Vasa Museum is supposed to be coming out with a rigging book soon).

Here is pictures of the mainmast from the Corel plans.

post-951-0-03375300-1403279056_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-98917200-1403279045_thumb.jpg

Frank

Hello Karl,

You are ahead of me in the build, but I think I found what you are looking for. 

The Corel plans shows the rigging of the mainmast yards onto the deck. (I don't know how accurate the Corel plans are. I know that the Vasa Museum is supposed to be coming out with a rigging book soon).

Frank

Hello Frank,

latest information concerning the book that the date of publish is delayed. Museum cannot give a timeframe

http://warshipvasa.freeforums.net/thread/57/vasa-ii?page=2&scrollTo=784

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the update. Sad to hear that there will be a delay in the book.

I'm thinking about adding some sails to the ship when I get to that point, but I would hesitate if I didn't have any plans for the sail rigging.

We'll see!

Frank

Frank:

Thank you very much for your answer and for taking pictures of your plans, will be of great helpful and besides they are not as in the original ship they give a better idea than my BB plans.

In the meantime I found this link of Clayton´s that can be of great help also.  https://sites.google.com/site/clayton707/swedishwarshipwasa

Muchos saludos, Karl