Wasa by fmodajr - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Frank,

That gold leafing really sets off those "horses" Super nice idea on your part. The Pegasus base set looks really perfect for this ship (I again thank you for sourcing my set which I will also attempt to leaf as well). 

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael,

I am away for the weekend. When I return early next week I will post my next set of pictures and try to explain the "why and how" of my attempt at gold leafing. Looking at all the Wasa logs in this forum and seeing the wonderful paint jobs of the figurines, it will be interesting to see what the members think about the different direction I took with the figurines! We'll see!

Thanks again Michael for pointing me in the right direction for purchasing the decorative stanchions for the bow railing. I just finished installing the 2 fwd catheads and I will start working on the bow railing and the side railings on both sides of the ship.

Frank

When finishing the figurines, I decided to go a different direction. I decided to Gold Leaf the figurines for a couple of reasons.

1. I tried grinding the figurines down as thin as I could to try to get them to a better scale and in doing so, I took off a lot of the gold finish that was on them.

2. I did not like the gold finish that was on the figurines from Corel and I thought that they were too bright and shiny and I wanted to mute them a little.

3. I was hoping that they would look well with the red paint I used. And

4. Although I am very very impressed with the paint job's done on the other log builds on this site, I thought I would make my ship a little different. Let me know what you think! 

I bought my gold leaf supplies at Sepp Leaf Products in New York.  http://www.seppleaf.com

The Gold Leaf I chose is the "Monarch 22 karat Leaf in 3 3/8" by 3 3/8" size.

post-951-0-15188500-1389040706_thumb.jpg

After grinding, fitting, and cleaning the figurines (I did only a few at a time) I applied the "Rolco Quick Dry Gilding Size" or glue to the figurines using a paint brush. I then let them sit for 2 hours until tacky to the touch.

(If I tried to apply the leaf sooner than 2 hours, things would get too sticky and messy. Longer than 2 hours and the glue would be too dry for me).

After 2 hours, using tweezers, I would separate sections of the gold leaf and apply them to the figurines. Then, using a very soft "makeup" brush, (see picture) I would work the leafing in to all the crevices. 

If I have to gold leaf a large piece (like the Pegasus stands, I would only do a section of the piece and then another section the next night.

After applying the Leaf, I would let the figurines sit over night until dry and the fit them on the ship.

post-951-0-98073800-1389040717_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-48157700-1389040729_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-19280000-1389040738_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-79176700-1389040758_thumb.jpg

I left off the 2 tall figurines on each side of the stern, until I finish the side railings!

post-951-0-84911900-1389040771_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-49480500-1389040783_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-63032200-1389040791_thumb.jpg

Thanks and let me know what you think!

Frank

Frank,

Mark is right. Painting those figures was a real pain. Your approach with the gold leafing provides a very nice effect. Looks very good.

PS: Got your letter today, will return it to you this week.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I like it, and I will try the gold leaf method in my future builds. The Royal Louis has some golden decorations. Not as many as Vasa, though.

Thank you very much for explaining how you do it.

Best regards.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I like it - really stands out against the red paint.Also a real time saver - it`s a real pain to paint all those figures.

Mark

HI Mark and Michael,

Thank you for your kind comments. I agree that the leafing is a time saver. I don't know how you guys do it with the painting of the figurines! My eyesight is not great and my hands not too steady. The problem I did have with the gold leaf was that it is so thin that even my normal breathing would blow it away! So I have to wear a mask when I work with the stuff.

Frank

Very cool, thanks very much for sharing your technique!  Looks fantastic, particularly against the red painted areas.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Ulises, Nigel, and Mike,

Thanks your for your kind impressions!

When I was down in Charleston, South Carolina (for the NRG Meeting), I attended a lecture by Fred Hocker. He gave an amazing talk about some of the new findings they are still making about the ship. After the lecture, I was fortunate to be able to meet him and he saw some of the pictures of my model on my iPad.

He commented that there now is evidence that the small triangular figurines above the gallery (see picture below) were actually further down in the openings in the middle of the galleries!

Frank

post-951-0-48591000-1389100773_thumb.jpg

That`s very interesting.My kit had those small figures also but I didn`t think they looked right up high so I put them in the gallery openings instead.Looks like I guessed right! :)

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

That`s very interesting.My kit had those small figures also but I didn`t think they looked right up high so I put them in the gallery openings instead.Looks like I guessed right! :)

Mark

Mark,

I think you did guess right! I have a copy of the Wasa plans from the museum showing them roughly where I put them. Oh well!

He (Hocker) also mentioned in his talk that the carpenters working on the ship were from different nations and that the starboard planking does not match the port and and the gunport openings on the port side don't line up with the starboard side!

Frank

Mark,

I think you did guess right! I have a copy of the Wasa plans from the museum showing them roughly where I put them. Oh well!

He (Hocker) also mentioned in his talk that the carpenters working on the ship were from different nations and that the starboard planking does not match the port and and the gunport openings on the port side don't line up with the starboard side!

Frank

Frank,

That is good news. I'm happy to be following in the original builders footsteps. I noticed a slight variation on each side of mine as the channels come to life.

PS: Next week Fred Hocker is sending me pdf's of the eleven parts to the lower main mast, Ill be happy to share (:-)

PS 2: Your flash drive will go out in Wednesday's mail.

Michael 

Michael`

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Frank,

That is good news. I'm happy to be following in the original builders footsteps. I noticed a slight variation on each side of mine as the channels come to life.

PS: Next week Fred Hocker is sending me pdf's of the eleven parts to the lower main mast, Ill be happy to share (:-)

PS 2: Your flash drive will go out in Wednesday's mail.

Michael 

Michael`

Michael,

Too funny! I agree, when things don't line up, I can now say it was done on purpose :)

Yes, Yes, I would love the  pdf's of the lower main mast when you receive them! I am a few months away from starting the masts, but I definitely want to be prepared.

Thanks for everything Michael, with all your help and your detailed log, my model is shaping up to be much better than I envisioned it just a few months ago. Thanks again,

Frank

Wow Corel's gunports design is probably my favourite for simplicity and appearance, but adding those false gun carriages is a masterstroke!

Thanks Demonborger!

The only thing that I don't like about model ship building is that I end up awake late a lot of nights trying to figure out in what order do I add things to the model. If I add item A to the model now, will I be able to get at item B later. (i.e. Building the false gun carriages early on, while not placing the guns until much later). Drives me nuts sometimes and I find myself overthinking things :)

Frank

Thanks Demonborger!

The only thing that I don't like about model ship building is that I end up awake late a lot of nights trying to figure out in what order do I add things to the model. If I add item A to the model now, will I be able to get at item B later. (i.e. Building the false gun carriages early on, while not placing the guns until much later). Drives me nuts sometimes and I find myself overthinking things :)

Frank

Hmmm...I thought this was normal!!! :)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Added some features that are not part of the Corel plans.

Gunport near bow

post-951-0-76898600-1406046278_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-40150800-1406046292_thumb.jpg

Gunport and Message Port near rear Gallery

post-951-0-24348700-1406046337_thumb.jpg

Windows

post-951-0-54442800-1406046347_thumb.jpg

Water Drainage holes

I did not drill through into the top deck yet. I will wait until I have finished the side railings

post-951-0-99927500-1406046395_thumb.jpg

post-951-0-51053500-1406046406_thumb.jpg

Edited by fmodajr

Frank,

Looking so good. Love your gold leafing, very nice personal touch to you Vasa.

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks Michael!

Working on the railings these next few days. Tedious!

Frank

Very nice work, Frank.!!!

If you think railings are tedious, wait till you have to tie the ratlines :D I'm at that stage right now.

Very nice work, Frank.!!!

If you think railings are tedious, wait till you have to tie the ratlines  :D I'm at that stage right now.

Ulises,

I'm trying not to think that far ahead! Be prepared for many questions (by me) when I get to that point  :) 

Thanks 

Frank

It is very nice to see how we all make some modifications to the Corel kit but all results are nice and different.

I hope the new book from the Vasa (VASA-II) concerning the rigging will be issued soon, so I can start and verify the rigging.

Looking to your status of the build we are almost in the same stage of builing now

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

It is very nice to see how we all make some modifications to the Corel kit but all results are nice and different.

I hope the new book from the Vasa (VASA-II) concerning the rigging will be issued soon, so I can start and verify the rigging.

Looking to your status of the build we are almost in the same stage of builing now

Hi Jan,

I went to the Seawatch Books Web site tonight http://www.seawatchbooks.com and they have a paragraph on upcoming books. They feel that the book will hopefully come out in June!

I think this could work for me. I still have to finish the railings, kevels, guns, deck items, channels, and of course the longboat!

I'm glad I will not be entering the rigging stage of the ship alone  :) 

Thanks,

Frank

I think we are with 4 people almost in the same stage including Matti and Michael with the completing phase of the ship and waiting for the rigging so we can help each other

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

I reply you through your request in Michael's (md1440cs) Log... You are welcome Frank...

Your Wasa is really great, nice, sharp and smooth...

I glued the ropes to the deck with this cement. It is transparent, gets dry about 10-15 minutes, lets me manipulate, does not change the color of the robe, does not concrete the robe as CA, let the robe be flexible and in case of necessity can be removed very easily after getting dry, doesn't spread any allergic vapor like CA... Ideal for rigging... There is more than enough... :)

post-2145-0-18990800-1390198926.jpg

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=GLU105

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)