Grants Triton - FINISHED

Pete, 42 Rocker, Ron,

thanks for the comments. Pete, the barrels were turned on a lathe. Ron, you'll do fine, just take your time. Rushing leads to errors and poor workmanship......see below  :(

Mark & Russ,

thanks for the comments, particularly picking up my error. As previously stated....haste makes waste. I had not noticed the different sizes of the trucks, mine are all the same :o.  The remedy will possibly be relatively painless, I should be able to remove the offending trucks and replace them. Thanks again for picking that up. What's another week or so.

Regards,

Grant.

Edited by Boccherini

Harvey,

thanks. The barrels were turned on my lathe.

Fixing the trucks proved to be quick and painless, if only all stuff ups were this easy to repair. The trucks and keys were not glued in place, removing them was easy. I ended up using a dab of supa glue to tack the trucks to a drill shank in a collet on the lathe, then skimmed them down to size. The smooth surface of the drill shank prevented a permanent bond to the trucks.

post-666-0-36686100-1362989140.jpgpost-666-0-66008500-1362989168.jpg

Grant.

Nice work Grant. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Nice fix, Grant.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Life has tossed up a few distractions, and I'm doing several things similtaneously so progress has been a little slow. The hooks for the gun rigging are complete, and a start has been made on the blocks. I think the following sequence is pretty self explanatory. The second last picture shows putting a slight reverse curve on the end of the hook.

post-666-0-91523400-1364806266_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-61177700-1364806289_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-56528500-1364806374_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-98226300-1364806405_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-07503700-1364806460_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-65572700-1364806487_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-41027700-1364806516_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-11448200-1364806565_thumb.jpg

Grant.

I recently purchased a Proxxon mill, this is its first time in use. The timber for blocks is lemon wood, harvested from a tree pulled out to make way for an extension several years ago. It is beautiful timber to work with, very close grained.

I made a fence set up for the cross slide table to make things easier, the idea is not mine, but copied from a Russian build log from several years ago.

post-666-0-83602900-1364807355_thumb.jpg

A strip of timber has been cut to the right thickness and width, then a slot cut on the two sides for the sheaves  and a light score on the two faces for the rope strops by pulling the strip through with a featherboard(?).

post-666-0-49818300-1364807811_thumb.jpg

The length of the blocks is marked on the strip with a small gap between them and the holes drilled to define the sheaves. This is a test strip to try out the technique, which seems to work quite well. The mill makes this work less time consuming. The blocks will be shaped by hand from here.

post-666-0-25718500-1364808938_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-81791600-1364808061_thumb.jpg

There will be rope needed for the rigging, so I have started constructing a rope walk to manufacture it.

post-666-0-18449600-1364808370_thumb.jpg

Grant.

Edited by Boccherini

Grant, lovely work and thanks for the detail as you progress. Aye…. a Proxxon Mill, that's one of two items on my wish list and having a time trying to prioritize which should be first. :)

Again, a great build and log.

P.S. Extra thank you for the ring making steps. As others have stated its one for the "how to locker".

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Thanks Paddy. There are ways of doing things without power tools, don't rush in buying stuff, do your research first. I have been gradually acquiring machinery over the last 8 years as my needs and ability increased. Having said that, they do make things easier. 

Pete, thanks. Yeah, looks like it's a good investment. There is a learning curve though, I didn't hold the first strip into the fence tight enough, it surprised me by climbing up the end mill. I also may have been trying to cut too deep, several shallow passes seem to work better than one deep one.

Grant.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been putting off the hatch grating for some time, yesterday the desire to tackle this job came upon me.

Being too lazy to build a jig for this, I used a spacer with the combined thickness of the saw blade and gap between the planks to cut slots the correct distance apart.

post-666-0-60799300-1365925745_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-40915000-1365926350_thumb.jpg

The block was cut down to the correct width and the grating ledges cut off.

post-666-0-05279800-1365926392_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-80438500-1365926410_thumb.jpg

The assembly jig and grating.

post-666-0-74659400-1365926692_thumb.jpg

At this point, it became apparent that my grasp of complex mathematical processes (addition, multiplication and division), was sadly lacking........aaaagggh! As Maxwell Smart would say, "Missed by that much." Shame the hatch opening isn't square. Another failure put down to haste and lack of careful checking when the carlings were put in place.

post-666-0-34414300-1365926847_thumb.jpg

The solution at present is to cut the grating in half, then make up a new half which will be left siiting on top of the grating in position, leaving half the hatch open.

Grant.

Cool tool. Clever fix for the hatch - I did not realise they were in 2 halves? but if they were then that is a quite elegant solution to not having to recreate it from scratch again. Saying that I quite liked making the hatch though all my little slot bits kept losing 'teeth' which was irritating.

Joss

HI Grant,

Just caught up with your build. Its a joy to watch a master work. Your tutorials are priceless....adding to the body of knowledge that was lost. Look forward to you next post and the trial run of your ropewalk.

The Proxxon mill is a good one and perfect for model shipwrights. Does not cost an arm and a leg either. Are you pleased with your mill?

Best wishes as you continue along with your build.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted  to the Gallery

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Joss,

TFFM Vol 1 pp273/4, seems split gratings were not unknown. They made handling easier. I didn't have any problems with losing 'teeth'. Different timber? Two btw's: i) could you please give me access to the drawings, and, ii) how's the house extension progresssing?

Thanks Pete.

David,

thanks for your interest. The mill seems to have been a good investment, and, as you say, it's not a financially debilitating purchase. Still coming to grips with what it can/can't do. The people I 'spoke' to prior to purchasing it assured me it would be adequate for modelling puposes. I'll know for sure in 12 months.

Splitting the hatch worked out far better than I could hope, won't need to leave half the hatch open after all.

post-666-0-84619400-1365942886_thumb.jpg

Grant.

Hi Grant, Great work around on the hatch. You instructions will be very helpful when I get to that point.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Grant your work is outstanding.I am star struck.  Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

What a pleasant way to start my morning…… a cup of tea and reading your log. Gives one the inspiration for their own work.

Again, love your work Grant.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Rusty, Larry & Paddy,

thanks for your kind words, I appreciate the feedback and your continued interest.

It used to be lonely "down here" 12 months ago, there were 2 or 3 of us posting sporadically, now.......so many new x sections, so much life, it's great..

Regards,

Grant.