Grants Triton - FINISHED

Well done Grant a nice piece of thinking outside of the box, thanks for sharing it with us. I will have a go when I get to that stage of the build.

Martin. 

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Grant

Thanks for the show and tell on the brass and cutting it. I really like and going to remember the hole drill for blade turning.

Great work.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Hi Grant,

Just caught up and I'm glad I did. That's a great idea and will give it a go when

I get to that point. Well done and thanks! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks for the comments, guys. Glad you're finding this stuff useful.  I'm just finishing the 3rd of the long brackets, one other helpful tip: it would be better to make the template a little narrow all round. What has happened: the scribed pattern on the metal sheet is slightly larger than the template, leaving a little too much to file down. Probably need to purchase some decent needle files, the cheap ones are ok up to a point, but they are not able to get into some of the tight spots. 

Regards,

Grant.

Finally finished the 4 large brackets, looking at the picture, a couple of them still need a bit of touching up. On Friday, I  embarked on a spending spree, purchasing several good quality needle and escapement files and replaced my crappy little vice with another (slightly less crappy) little vice that at least has parallel jaws :). Well worth the investment.

post-666-0-34507200-1370848543_thumb.jpg

Grant.

So long as they will fit on the changing thickness of the ceiling planking, they should be okay. That was a lot of work. Nicely done.

Russ

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

Martin, the files are all by Vallorbe.

Russ, I filed the back of each bracket to fit snuggly (as best I could) in its location. I'll dry fit them to drill for the fixings later in the week. They should be pretty good, I'm more concerned with the proportions, don't want them looking to thick for the scale.

Grant.

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite as much progress has been made as hoped for, the Admiral desired a "galley" renovation, which has taken a bit longer than anticipated. All the brackets are tacked into place with contact cement to allow the marking of fixing holes and to make a template for the gangways. This will also allow me to accurately trim the lengths of the brackets so everything looks symetrical.

post-666-0-03295900-1373272992_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-02872700-1373272998_thumb.jpg

Grant.

• 2 weeks later...

The gangways are complete, I decided it would be easier to make them off the model, then install them complete. The construction sequence is pretty self explanatory (in spite of the fuzzy pictures, apologies). Clamping the first three planks was done in a jig, the rest of the joints were made by clamping to the table of the Byrnes saw (versatile piece of machinery).

post-666-0-36076500-1374215294_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-07880100-1374215517_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-53314800-1374215524_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-14258900-1374215551_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-20932600-1374215588_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-23396400-1374215628_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-85283100-1374216139_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-74105700-1374216147_thumb.jpg

Grant.

Beautiful work, Grant. Very clean and precise.  I like the way you did the gangways.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Just went through one of those periods where the desire to work on this project evaporated, didn't even look at it for 2 weeks. I'm over that now, the inspiration has returned :).

I have upgraded my gas torch, this one has built in ignition and aeration adjustment for the flame. A great improvement over the pencil torch.

The brackets have all been trimmed back to the correct length, and the ends soldered on for the skid beams. These are still oversize, but will be trimmed back in the next step. I have started making everything slightly longer or thicker than required, having discovered it is easier to remove excess than add material or re make a piece.

post-666-0-56191700-1376111000_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-96046700-1376111008_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-30314900-1376111012_thumb.jpg

Grant.

Good looking brackets, Grant.  Very well done.  Sometimes we just need a break, truth be told.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good to see you back at it.

Laughing at myself. Just bought a pencil torch and now see I should be looking for an upgrade already. :D

Those are top drawer brackets. Well done.

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I wouldn't worry about your pencil torch Paddy, mine worked well for several years. It started playing up earlier this year, giving me some frustrating moments. Considering it's meagre cost, I definately got good value out of it.

Regards,

Grant.

Welcome back Grant. I too am going through a spell of nothing done. Hope to get back to it soon. Well done job on the brackets.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Thanks Ron, hope you rediscover your motivation quickly.

I decided to fake the pins through the skid beams, one side from a slightly larger diameter with a shoulder filed onto it, the other was the correct size. Clamping the bracket in the manner shown provided a heat sink to protect the solder in the joint from melting and the crutch dropping off the bracket. I soldered the pins into the brackets thinking this would make the installation easier, not having to fiddle around trying to line up holes whilst glueing the brackets to the planking (with 5 min epoxy). There are also some dummy heads that don't go right through the brackets for the sake of appearances. The construction method has worked well, the brackets are very firmly attached and are not going anywhere, I expect they will get a few knocks prior to the gangways being installed.

post-666-0-55216900-1376807087_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-74511700-1376807096_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-68602800-1376807107_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-55821600-1376807122_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-37826200-1376807145_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-39614800-1376807157_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-67068300-1376807189_thumb.jpg

Grant.

Hello Grant?

I got agree with Paddy.. Your brackets are spot on.

Nice work.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section