Santa Maria by Moonbug - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Bashed

Thanks for the info!  I've always felt like there was something missing not seeing the mast-to-mast lines, I appreciate having a comparison to help me decide which direction I'm going to go.  After all, that's what the forum is for!

- Bug

Moonbug the idea of getting the poop deck to rise up is quiet the challenge.  The idea intrigues me and I couldn't help but look up pictures of my Santa Maria to see how I would have done it.  My rigging is made for bottling so it's a lot more simple then yours.  Looking at it though I think I would make the mast able to come apart and make the chain plates to the back stays removable.  This way the lines pulling the mast back could be removed and the mast could come out of place to open deck up.  A good way to do this and hide it would be something like the Hinckley Hinge.  See #5.

pieds150.jpg

I would make the pin going through the mast removable making it easy to pull it apart and replace it when done.  I hope that helps.  

Daniel,

I'm definitely willing to explore all options at this point, so thanks for the info!   And thanks for stopping by the build.  :)

- Bug

Over the course of the last couple of days, as I continue to make and mount cleats and rails to the deck and bulwarks, I've taken some time to add the nails to the futtock riders (long overdue), and build the sheaves / pulleys that are mounted to the top of the masts.  Here are some progress photos.

post-1158-0-16467800-1389745167_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-67455200-1389745167_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-65180000-1389745169_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-36939000-1389745170_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-82500100-1389745170_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-47587500-1389745171_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-87717200-1389745171_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

well!   Finally I got to see your entire build log!   I tried going through it while having coffee in the morning,  before going to work.  but I should have known that this would have been impossible to get the full impact!   to sum it up......fantastic!  you have a lot of really cool tips, melded into a well written build log  ;)    you shedding a lot of light on a ship that history books give little to.........the extra details your adding really add to the build as a whole.   it make one wonder sometimes,  where the manufacturers get these people to build the proto types :) ........they should have just asked us!

great looking build.......your creativity is outstanding!   I'll look forward in seeing more!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments and feedback. 

Marktime, I'm going to try a double in the next day or so to give myself the option for the extra standing rigging.

Sjors - you seem to be ordering a lot of parts, pumps, sheave blocks... I'm going to have some work to do to fullfil your order. :P

Thanks Popeye, I appreciate it! Although I have enjoyed doing the research and having to speculate on exactly how she was put together, I'm looking forward to an HMS for my next build so I have some solid references!

Lawrence - thanks, more to come soon!

- Bug

that's the problem with lesser known ships.......either you get mixed info,  or you get none at all.   I had the same trouble with the Goth,  but three folks here supplied me with enough pictures........one fellow actually worked on the ship.   he sent me a rigging plan,  but it's in Dutch,  and hard to read........but I think I can wing it with the pictures.   I have the Half Moon that I am also working on.......it's a Billing's kit, with some parts missing.......so far,  it's a fun bash.   it's nice to see folks go beyond the scope of the kit.....it's a great way to expand creativity and imagination.  those aspects that you mentioned......good example........when the build is complete......you won't see them.

the little fudgings here and there are mere trifles...the layers of detail that your adding will hide them just fine!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye, I agree. Since I'm also weathering, the variations give it a little character and a well used look.

Client meetings all day today and tomorrow, so not going to get much done...

-Bug

Edited by Moonbug

Thanks for the comment.

You got a great build there Geoff, I've been following along. Very clean work.

There's a specific reason I'm doing my SM the way it is. As I say in my blog, my teenage daughters actually didn't know what ship Columbus sailed. Whether that's my failing or their school's aside, when I'm done with the build I'm going to use it as a history lesson for their school as a guest speaker in their history class.

And yes, as you can imagine they're super thrilled... not.

-Bug

I rather think that when the class takes a look inside the Captains Cabin you will have hooked your audience Bug. :)

Keep up the brilliant work.

Eamonn

Failing that put a miniature One Direction poster or two up inside the cabin.. bound to get some interest then :)

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

That's hysterical Eamonn!  A great plan. My middle daughter for one is obsessed with them.

Last nights work - display adjustments.  When I first moved into my house I built a bookshelf into the wall of the downstairs family room to accommodate the pretty large number of books and movies we have. My San Juan Nepomuceno was on display in the upstairs family room on an end table. Looked good, and people saw it when they came in the house, but it was a little obtrusive and my lovely wife wasn't super fond of it.

post-1158-0-23525600-1389981250_thumb.jpg

That led to the discussion of "What are you going to do with the Santa Maria." Then a FURTHER conversation when I started mentioning my future build of an HMS vessel - a more adamant "Well, where's THAT going to go, we don't need giant ships all over our house!"

So here's my solution - I converted the bookshelf to hold my builds.  The square in the center (that currently houses my Jamaican chess set (I collect chess sets - yes, I'm a nerd) will house the Santa Maria. Then, the shelves on the right will be converted later to house the future build.

post-1158-0-97834000-1389981253_thumb.jpg

I still intend to install some plexi-glass over the ship display areas, but I'm pretty happy with the temporary adjustment.  Once the future build is done I'll make necessary adjustments and finalize the entire thing and make it permanent. 

Edited by Moonbug

You could always send them to me, I have loads of space, and I wouldn't even charge you or anything.. but then I'm nice like that :)

Eamonn

You could even save on postage by bundling them up with that order for Sjors... B)

Edited by egkb

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Looks like a plan on the display area.  Don't wait too long on the Plexiglas!

Say, if you'd like, I'll send you my 1/4 scale Piper Cub with a wingspan of 108".  You can display that on your coffee table for a bit.  Then the ships won't look so obtrusive  :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great ideas on display Bug - we're going through that exact conversation in my house right now! It's probably going to result in some fairly costly "negotiated" room modifications ;)

Love the idea of being able to embarrass the hell out of your teenage children - call it "parents' revenge"! :)

Grant - I have three girls, 15, 14, and 9.  I'm all about embarrassing them when I can.  I'm the crazy ex combat veteran all the neighborhood boys fear.  I like it that way.  :-)

- Bug

gee........if I had known you collected chess sets,  I could have mentioned  my Civil war set..........just sold it last week  :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye, but rest at ease - I have a civil war set I picked up when I stayed in Tennessee for my honeymoon years ago. :-)

-Bug

I see a coherent matter... My wife also asks me about the number of ships I'm going to do...

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Bug, I have 8 completed models in my house -- and obviously a very understanding wife-- but even she draws the line. I'm on a "one in, one out" system. A new one can't be started unless an old one is on it's way somewhere else. Our storage system is similar to yours with bookshelf cabinets adapted to fit the models.

Bob

Good info Bob!  I'm waiting for her to shift to the one in / on out system as well.  Heh

Jas - it's a downside to our little addition for sure.  

- Bug

I guess that is the advantage to small scale I keep eight on a single shelf.   :P   

I have a question.  Since your going to be teaching about Columbus to class what are your thoughts of some of the negative views about Columbus that have circulated in the past few years?  It's been confusing to me since when I grew up Columbus was the brave discoverer of the new world now he's made out to be an enslaving tyrant.  What are your thoughts on that and if it were to come up in the class how would you address it?      

Hey Daniel,

Great questions. First - as a PR guy by trade I'll make sure that I let the kids know that most of what I say regarding those issues is subjective and my opinion based on what limited "actual' documentation exists. 

That said - I go with somewhere in between. As much as that sounds like a copout, there are a couple of things that we do know for sure - ONE - he WAS a brave discover. Just the amount of faith and bravery that it took to make that (and any) kind of journey on the relatively rudimentary ships of the time was amazing. That will surely come across when they get an opportunity to see the build and understand the amount of people that were crammed on board as well as what it took to sail her. 

TWO - there was at least on some level treatment toward the natives that is (particularly now) considered inappropriate and perhaps even inhuman. There are a couple of factors here - the most significant being the overall philosophies / viewpoints of the time. There really was pretty widespread discrimination based on one's race / culture / standing etc. But right or wrong, it was NORMAL for the time.  There are thousands of examples throughout history of behaviors, whether by individuals or cultures, that were perfectly normal but now considered completely jacked.

THREE - history is skewed.  And often dramatically. When you go back 500-600 years, the only perspective you have is one generated by the very small minority that could read and write. Those accounts were almost always skewed by, among other things, ego and self promotion. So who's to say what really happened? 

Either way, it should indeed prompt an interesting discussion. All I hope to get out of it is an increased interest in history, as well as (hopefully) a willingness to look at events with an open mind while gaining enough information to formulate their own viewpoints.

- Bug

Should make for a fascinating talk Bug.  I agree that we shouldn't judge these people from the moral standpoint of today, how will we be regarded by the morals of 500 years time?  They were people of their time.

Kids can ask darned awkward questions though.. :P

Take Care Mate.

Eamonn

That's a very good answer and your right it should make for an interesting discussion.  I agree Columbus was a man of his time and followed the view points of his society and it's hard to blame him for that.  Who knows but some things we see as normal today won't be viewed as evil in 400 years or so.  Your class should be very interesting.  Good luck.   

It's important to point out that the cruelty recorded by history was a result of contemporaries of Columbus who arrived on the second and subsequent voyages with the sole purpose of enriching themselves, although this doesn't alter the fact that Columbus himself was driven by an almost inordinate desire to find gold.

In his log, the "Diario", he continually records his longing for gold when in fact he had, in discovering a New World, found a treasure beyond belief in the resources it contained.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk