Santa Maria by Moonbug - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Bashed

agreed...........good answer ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks BE, appreciate you stopping by, and the kind words.

- Bug

It took a while, but I finally got the cleats, rails, and sheaves in place.  

post-1158-0-22592000-1390695033_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-75294400-1390695033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

looks very nice Bug  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking really good there Bug. I like the finish you have achieved.

Nice work on those cleats. Everything has a great finish to it. Nice ambience. :)

Russ

Thanks everyone.  Progress is slow this week.  Work interferes....   heh

- Bug

Hi Bug

I agree to all the others.... your Santa Maria takes good progress... turns into  beauty... and as Aussie said: Not work but fun :D

Cheerio

Max  :10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Wolf!  I've been delayed on my progress by life and work - but hope to get back to it soon.

- Bug

Sjors - the snow is finally thawing out!  But, more to come this week. :-/

I've been fighting with a little launch I'm trying to build. :-/  She's quite stubborn.  I've trashed my first attempt completely and have started over with a different method.  Pictures to come soon! 

- Bug

Moonbug I recently saw a method for launches at our ship club using cigarette paper and a wood plug.  I've done similar for ship in bottle builds and was surprised that it could be used for the much larger builds as well.  The results were pretty impressive and didn't take a lot of time.  Something to look into maybe.    

I can agree with you.......the ones I've done came out alright........but some of the methods I've seen here on MSW astounds me!  here's to hoping your next one is a winner!  ;)   ........and perhaps a bit more progress  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Moonbug,

Could you please help with the positioning of the capstan in this kit.  (Although I think my kit has a few minor differences, there is absolutely no indication (that I can find) of where one positions the capstan.

Thank you so much.  It's 28 years since I built the Billings Vasa and now I am a beginner all over again! 

Kinnikki

Hi Kinnikki,

Thanks for stopping by!  I based my capstan location on reference from Xavier Pastor's book "The Ships of Christopher Columbus."  I located it just below the quarterdeck and just a few feet in.  There is also this reference that I found from an unknown Russian source that locates it in a similar position (See the red arrow).

Hope that helps!

post-1158-0-43939900-1393200072_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-53314200-1393200073_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-61750000-1393200076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Analising the pics the location is visible (I have compared to my AoS). The capstan should be located there, hovever, like mentioned before - Santa Maria is like a ghost ship. We can only compare her to the ships of those times...

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Jastrzab - you're absolutely right. I quite often find myself having to choose which reference to use/follow. I also try to make a point of mentioning that most of what I've done is speculation.

- Bug

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kinnikki!  I hope to get back to work on her soon!

- Bug

Edited by Moonbug

Thanks Sjors!  I had a business trip last week, and I have another trip next week.  :-/   

Can't wait for things to settle down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone - I know I've been absent.  During a recent business trip to Orlando, I rented a car and drove to St. Augustine. One of the reasons (aside from the fact it's my birthplace) was to visit the "El Galleon" harbored in port there.  

Although the ship is quite modernized (it sails regularly and is used for tours) and probably doesn't serve super well for reference, I did take a fair amount of photos, etc.  I muddled around the site, and can't find where I should post them all.

Suggestions?

post-1158-0-61192100-1396808384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Hello Bug,

Although she is a detailed replica, the original galleon was once part of Spain’s West Indies fleet.

So my suggestion is to post the pictures in the subforum 'Nautical History'. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/5-nautical-history/

Looking forward to the pictures.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo