Santa Maria by Moonbug - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Bashed

Thanks Marktime - I remember going through those from the old forum.

And thanks Grant - certainly something to consider, particularly with the main.

-Bug

Been working on finishing the rigging with deck accouterments, etc.  As I mentioned in the past, I'm such a huge fan of the kinda of 'underway' look of working rigging and "messy coils" that I decided that was going to be my style for this build.  Sure - doesn't say much toward the tidiness and efficiency of the crew.  But - I'm going to go with the idea that since Captain Christopher had such disdain for the big slow Santa Maria, that all the slackers ended up on that deck.  :-)  

Anyway, here's a sneak peak at my look:

post-1158-0-09234100-1449951646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

I like that look, reminds me of my work area having that "worked in" look. So why not the boats that come out of it. Good Stuff

Bug,

My two cents is from a rank amateur who knows little of the issues you've been discussing with other knowledgiable people. The sails do look great furled and otherwise where the rigging really gives a sense of how the sails are controlled. I guess it goes to show that your attention to detail has been such that the sails look good no matter their state.

It would seem that a priudent course of action might be to stand back and look at the ship as a whole. See what you want it to say; and look at what the ship wants to say in return. Is it better served furled or not, or a mix? Seems like a obvious comment (and one others have addressed), but comming from me, obvious is the best I can do.

Whatever your choice, you've proven your model will be spectacular.

Joe

Edited by jmcsys

Hey Joe,  thanks for the response.  I can't argue with logic - so that was my task this weekend.  I unfurled the sail, and took another look. Now, if I was going to go with unfurled, I'd also want to detach and re-sew the sail along with bonnets. I also considered whether or not I'd want to add one of the symbolic crosses on the sail as well.

Turns out - I didn't really have to go to far to realize that I really liked the sails both ways.  So, I did what any normal, red blooded man would do - I asked the Admiral.  She liked the sail furled, and since I already have a couple around the house with sails down, she convinced me to go with the "just pulled into the bay" look.  :-)  

The good news is - the entire exercise gave me the opportunity to re-furl the sail and little differently.  This time, I wrapped the sail a bit differently, and the sheets and clews are a little further out on the yard. I am much happier with this look, and I think it's ultimately more accurate.

post-1158-0-25551700-1450108142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Hi Bug.... just went thru your log,,,,,,,, congrats on an exceptionally nice build, just love what you did with this kit, those little details

like the book, sword, little chess table and the rest that you did just blew me away. the aged look of the ship is outstanding!!!

I'm so glad you made a comment on my log, I probably would have missed this great build of yours.Thanks for posting.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wise move to consult with the Admiralty, Bug! That might have saved you a flogging or three!!!

Thanks gents!  And thanks for the comments Frank - really appreciate it.  That's what I love about MSW - so many great, unique builds, it's pretty easy to get lost for a while.  

And always a good call to go with the Admiralty.  ;-)   

- Bug

Good morning,

Not a lot of photos to show just yet, but I've delved into the tedious job of coiling and tying off rope.  I started out by building a jig, and going with that particular method - but it's only useful in a couple of places where the coils are essentially sitting on their own, or hanging off a cleat or rail.  

post-1158-0-77078700-1450284552_thumb.jpg 

For most of the rope, that's attached to the end of a rigging line, I'm actually coiling by hand for each spot, so that it wraps around the end of the rigging properly and looks more natural.

post-1158-0-52340900-1450284553_thumb.jpg

I am primarily using two types of glue. The Scenic glue that I mentioned before dries very clear and clean. As I said - it's NOT very tacky, so the coils need to be in place and how you want them laid out, then the glue is applied with a Q-tip, or sometimes small brush.  The glue behind it - sorry it's kinda blurry - is actually a styrofoam glue that I came across at my local hobby store.  It's VERY tacky - much like a rubber cement - so it's a bit messy, and quite honestly a pain in the butt.  HOWEVER, it's also very effective if you brush it on the back of a coil because it allows you to immediately shape the coil and place it where you want it. It holds very nicely, but then takes several minutes to dry giving you plenty of flexibility to make changes.

post-1158-0-38546200-1450284554_thumb.jpg

Once again, I'm growing more enamored with the somewhat haphazard way the rope coils are looking.

Edited by Moonbug

Here's a better picture of the styrofoam glue.

post-1158-0-97361500-1450284963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

The ropes look nice and natural.... good job Bug...

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Thanks Frank!  Tedious, but fun! 

- Bug

I'm at the stage where I'm working on details at this point, of course.  So, along with coiling endless amounts of rope, I needed to create a pulley for the Crow's nest sheaves.   I started with a square 5x5 piece of scrap and cut off about 3mm of it.  I rounded the edges then drilled out the center.

post-1158-0-95204000-1450456494_thumb.jpg   post-1158-0-40663000-1450456496_thumb.jpg   post-1158-0-17129700-1450456497_thumb.jpg

Then, I decided instead of cutting my own sheave to slide in, i could sand down the sides of a scrap deadeye instead.  The tiny pins are scrap leftovers, and the other metal piece is a leftover scrap piece that AL loves to use for attaching shrouds.  I don't use them, so I have a bunch of them lying around.  That will eventually become the 'hook'.

post-1158-0-30208600-1450456498_thumb.jpg   post-1158-0-41134700-1450456499_thumb.jpg   

Finally, I assembled it all together and darkened the metal and wood.  I then attached it to the ship and coiled the rope.

post-1158-0-19086800-1450456500_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Mmmm... about the ropes. I had in the past access to photos of the replica Santa Maria that sailed in 1992 to celebrate the 5th centenary and one particular view was of the great arch and windlass. The amount and assortment of ropes was astonishing but the thing that I took away from that photo was the ordered chaos and the many different sizes and colours  that made up the cordage.

Neat trick making that hook.  B)

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Yeah that was a good trick with that hook.........the pulley came out real nice!!

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Thanks marktime and Frank!  I appreciate the comments.  

Marktime - I remember those photos, I can't for the life of me find them again.  Although that '92 replica was pretty far off in terms of accuracy (I think it was even a caravel instead of a nao), it had some great details to look at, for sure.  

I got that same vibe you're speaking of when I visited the El Galleon in St. Augustine, Florida last year.

post-1158-0-70109100-1450465723_thumb.jpg

That said - I'm attributing the more chaotic look to my rope coils as a result of the crew dipping into the rum a little heavier than normal just as they pulled into port for a very long anticipated shore leave...   ;)

Edited by Moonbug

Nope, that won't do, rum had not been produced in the Caribbean until a little bit later as nobody was growing sugarcane. There is a tale that Columbus stopped off here in the Canary Islands, at La Gomera, one of the seven islands of this archipelago called the Canaries, on his way to fame and fortune. He had intended a short stay but had a little jolly with the then governor, Beatriz de Bobadilla y Ossorio, and stayed a month. She in return gave him, as a going away present, cuttings of sugar cane. To keep him sweet I imagine.

I don't see any of this in the Diario, the only mention of the Canaries was the fitting out of the Niña in Las Palmas but it is supposed that this tale represents the way sugar cane entered into the Caribbean and ended up, some 450 years later with Winston Churchill, then First Lord of the Admiralty, describing the Royal Navy as only interested in Rum, Bum and Baccy. Make of that what you will.    ;)  

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

So, as I continue with many of the finishing details, I've been fretting how I'm going to handle the flags.  As the sails are furled, I need to give the impression that the flags are hanging somewhat naturally.  They also need to have some of the aging that the rest of the ship represents. 

After scouring my local fabric store, and trying a variety of different silks and satins - I ended up going back to the "flags" that are supplied in the AL kit.  

First, I soaked the flags in the same 'Scenic glue' that I was using for the rope coils.

post-1158-0-53927800-1450577669_thumb.jpg

Then I hung the flags from my shelf, and shaped them with a variety of clips and gravity. To give them the shape I wanted that would imply hanging naturally.

post-1158-0-71371300-1450577670_thumb.jpg  post-1158-0-28801100-1450577671_thumb.jpg

I then mounted each of the flags. The main and fore mast flags using blocks, and the mizzen using a mounting as illustrated in Pastor's book. I then aged them using some black and brown dusting.

post-1158-0-13534200-1450577672_thumb.jpg  post-1158-0-05361100-1450577673_thumb.jpg  post-1158-0-00209700-1450577674_thumb.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Edited by Moonbug

They fit in real nice Bug....

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Excellent work on the flags, Bug.  I like the way they hang and drape....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, appreciate the comment!

-Bug

Thanks Ken! Just for clarity in case anyone wants to try it, the glue is hobby scenic glue typically used as a spray before placing shrubbery or other pieces for train sets or diaramas - which is why it's so watered down.

-Bug

Well folks... looks like she's done.  Here she is - the completed Santa Maria.  I'll edit and post more of the finished photos, then eventually her final port of call - I have to wait for the Admiral to clear off the Christmas decorations after the new year before the Santa Maria can rest in her final spot. ;)

Thanks for all the likes and comments!

post-1158-0-13545600-1450647785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Moonbug,

A fabulous result. It is set off beautifully by the stand. You must be very proud of it.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error.