Santa Maria by Moonbug - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Bashed

Thanks Ian!  I am indeed, turned out pretty well.  Always a bit of mixed feelings when you finish a project.  :)  

- Bug

Here are some shots of the finished ship.

post-1158-0-37570600-1450649729_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-09227000-1450649731_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-07403200-1450649732_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-29225800-1450649733_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-32358800-1450649734_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-22406700-1450649735_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-01277800-1450649736_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-29923800-1450649737_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-25386900-1450649738_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-07596300-1450649739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

And a few more.  I'll gather them and add to the completed gallery in a bit.

- Bug

post-1158-0-52356600-1450649856_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-56223900-1450649858_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-85427100-1450649859_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-87435100-1450649860_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-68899700-1450649861_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-69134900-1450649862_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-63711000-1450649863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

That is one beautiful and well detailed ship, Bug.  Looks fantastic from any angle.  Congratulations.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks very much gents!

Indeed marktime.   A tragedy in many ways.

In the meantime - here's her temporary home in my office until after the new year, when the Admiral will allow her to be moved a place of more prominence.   :)

post-1158-0-98443600-1450656797_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-17222000-1450656800_thumb.jpg

- Bug

Edited by Moonbug

Congratulations Bug. A truly fine model of which you can be justifiably proud.

congratulations on a beautiful build

Thanks Grant and Don, I appreciate it!

- Bug

Thanks very much Crackers, appreciate it!

- Bug

A great Christmas gift to all the builders of MSW Bug !!!!!!

That's amazing what you have done and thanks for showing the whole process !!!!!!

I enjoy every minute of it .

Are you for sure that you will give her another place ?

From what I see I think this is the best place for her !!!!!

And of course the question......what's next ???????

Sjors

Thanks so much Sjors! I really appreciate it!

I do like her where she is as well.  We're thinking about moving her into the living room next to the San Juan. I'll post another photo and compare the two spots. :-)  

Next for now is this guy:  A stagecoach I promised to build for the Admiral.  

post-1158-0-70838800-1450730743_thumb.jpg

Then, my next build is most likely the Pegasus.  :-)  I want to do a British vessel and my youngest daughter loves horses.  

- Sean

Edited by Moonbug

I can't say anymore than what others have already said so I'll repeat: FANTASTIC!

I was a bit doubtful when you said you wanted a weathered look. All that opportunity for the beauty of the wood to shine, lost to a dark grungy brown or grey. But on completion, there is no question that you made the right choice. Not only from a standpoint of visual impact but from a thematic one as well. And the disarray of the ropes makes it look so REAL. You walked a fine line between authentic and messy and you won.

BTW your choice of display looks perfect. Can't imagine another spot being better. But I eagerly await what you do.

Joe

Thanks so much Joe - I wasn't sure about the aging at first either, but my original intent was for this to be an educational display for my girls' school. That was back before I realized I was going to be two years over deadline. ;-) Anyway, I learned a ton about tarnishing and aging from the forum (and mistakes of course) and am glad I went that direction.

Thanks Richard, I appreciate it. I actually rigged a little pulley so the rear deck could be maneuvered up or down. Not easy mind you, but possible. *laff*. I had to leave that deck pretty open as a result, but I'm still happy with the overall effect.

-Bug

Edited by Moonbug

what a great looking ship!   the rigging looks fabulous!   you really did a super job.......congratz to her finish  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, here's her final resting place in our Foyer, just up stream from the San Juan Nepomuceno.  :-)  

Incidentally, the old map is of a province in Italy I acquired while stationed there many moons ago.  It'd had been sitting in my storeroom for 20 years, just waiting for an excuse to be framed and mounted.  

(Yes - I realize it's not Genoa, Italy where Columbus was from, but I think it's cool none-the-less)  

- Bug

post-1158-0-34500600-1451778456_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-26025000-1451778458_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-03843600-1451778459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed the completion ceremony ......   Bug you really did a great !! job on this  build, like everyone says "just fantastic"... the aged look

was just the right ticket for this one..... and those ropes WOW!!, they really give it that worked look. nice job Bug...Have fun with the stage coach..

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank!

Appreciate the comment! The stagecoach is fun and something different, but is not a ship. *laff*

-Bug

• 6 months later...

Thanks Zoltan and B.E. - I appreciate it.  

As it turns out - my three darling daughters have convinced me to enter the Santa Maria into this year's County Fair.  hehe, so we'll see - maybe she'll be "An Award Winning Ship".  :P  

- Bug

you'll have to let us all know how she does in the competition  :)   you got my vote {send me a ballot!}  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

By all means send us ballots, Bug.   I'm sure they've heard of absentee voting...   :D  :D  :D  :D    I think we can also get the Chicago Graveyard Vote in for you.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wellp... 

Got first place at the County Fair.  :)  

post-1158-0-19447800-1469837507_thumb.jpg

In all fairness (no pun intended), there weren't that many entries.  ;)

- Bug

Edited by Moonbug

Congrats, Sean.   You and the Santa Maria deserve it for a model well done.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 5 months later...