HMS Warrior by StuartC - Billing Boats - 1:100 - started 1/1/2014

Hi - the sanding block has worked for all the flat and convex bits, but I'm struggling with the concave curves at the stern. I'll take your advice, though, and put up some photos on my pages and see what other people suggest.

I've never come across Billings paints (and my son works in a model shop!) - I'll probably just use a Tamiya gloss black.

Forgot to mention, I get my Billings paints of ebay (surprise,surprise)

I have a good selection of Billing's paints........they cover nice and have a really hard finish.  I'm not too happy with the way they are bottled though......some I have opened went bad {dried or gelled}....mainly due to the caps.......the ones that have those stupid plastic cones in them.  after shaking them,  I end up having to wipe the cap out,  before the paint gets into the inner lip.  have you had any problems with this?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have a good selection of Billing's paints........they cover nice and have a really hard finish.  I'm not too happy with the way they are bottled though......some I have opened went bad {dried or gelled}....mainly due to the caps.......the ones that have those stupid plastic cones in them.  after shaking them,  I end up having to wipe the cap out,  before the paint gets into the inner lip.  have you had any problems with this?

No I've had no problems, but the ones I have are just pots with screw caps and I haven't had them long enough to dry out.

post-751-0-62968200-1430851583_thumb.jpg

ohhhhh,  your using acrylic.......I have the enamels!  ;)  the bottles are different too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Alright people, I need to ask for help as I'm stuck. Below you will see a picture of the instructions for the guardrail (Part F663 being 0,8mm brass wire).  

I am trying to set up to solder the bits together, the problem I'm having is that everything I use to hold the parts in place acts as a heat sink, I have ordered a soldering board but I don't think this will resolve the issue.  I am using a gas powered soldering iron with the blow torch attachment, so I have plenty of heat, it's just that it is being soaked away from where I need it.

I need to resolve this issue as the Bridge structure is made the same way. All help gratefully accepted.

post-751-0-46631800-1431288195_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-20414300-1431288205_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you solved your soldering problem Stuart. The guard rails are looking good.

I'm surprised that the kit didn't supply stanchions with pre drilled holes.......I use them all the time.    would have saved you a boat load of grief.   you did a great job of it though....looks very nice  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Final installment of the guardrail saga.  As you can see I've finally put the rails in place, a tip if your heading for this bit, do as the instructions say and do the guardrails in two parts.  Making it would have been easier, and installation a breeze.  Having said that if it was easy it would be boring :D  

post-751-0-65812600-1434311857_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-26810500-1434311872_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a pleasure to see your super work as usual - the bridge looks fantastic! I regret, though, that I have another plea for help. Although I haven't been updating my page I have a reasonable hull now, but as I struggle with the chain plates I'm slowly messing it back up again. I notice you say you'd pinned them - can I ask how you did that, given how narrow they are, and what did you use for pins? I've tried glueing them, but it looks terrible and then springs off...

It's a pleasure to see your super work as usual - the bridge looks fantastic! I regret, though, that I have another plea for help. Although I haven't been updating my page I have a reasonable hull now, but as I struggle with the chain plates I'm slowly messing it back up again. I notice you say you'd pinned them - can I ask how you did that, given how narrow they are, and what did you use for pins? I've tried glueing them, but it looks terrible and then springs off...

Hi matey,

Sad to say "been there, done that" which is why I ended up pinning them. If I remember correctly I used a 0.8mm drill, in a pin vice ( I think that is the correct name), which if you are very careful (and lucky) just fits.  I will admit with a few of the plates, I did break out through the side, but you can carefully bend the plate back into shape.  I also ordered brass pins (nails) from Cornwall model ships.  Finally when I pinned them I also re-glued them with super glue, which got them to stay in place.

The advantage of the hull being black is that it hides an awful lot of sins once it is touched up.

Unfortunately I did not find a quick way of doing this task, but as I keep on discovering, be patient, if you try to rush you muck it up.

Hope this is of some use.

Good luck and stick with it.  :)

Thanks once again: I'm off to the garage to try this. Foolishly I started this job on the starboard side, which is the one I'm planning to display, and I fear even substantial amounts of paint aren't going to cover the mess I've made. It's a shame the Warrior never fought a battle, as I could have done a post-engagement version!

Making an excellent job of this kit Stuart. Is the brass on the deck a visual design or is there a physical purpose for this? I've never seen a design like that on a deck. It looks good, keep up the neat tidy work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Making an excellent job of this kit Stuart. Is the brass on the deck a visual design or is there a physical purpose for this? I've never seen a design like that on a deck. It looks good, keep up the neat tidy work.

Thanks to one of the lads on here who has visited the Warrior.  A picture is better than a thousand words. But I must add the brass runners really do give a nice look to the deck.

post-751-0-61921200-1441396282_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice work Stuart,

also an excellent painting Job, love that model....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

I've been out of the country a fair bit recently, but I have finally got the final parts of the stern decoration in place. There is still quite a bit of tidying up to do, but while I have been waiting for the filler to set I started on the upper deck cannons.

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.

post-751-0-71657700-1451505310_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-84562700-1451505316_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-60743300-1451505326_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Thought I had better give an update as it's been a while.  I'm now in the process of mounting the boat davits and the gun port lids to the port side.  As part of the lid mounting I made a jig to hold the lids in place whilst the glue dries, and it's worked fine.

post-751-0-95834300-1455481642_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-29388100-1455481648_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Decided to take a break from the small stuff and complete the stand.  I decided to use a cap tally for the name plate as my freehand painting would not be up to the job, and I'm really pleased with the result.  Just the main anchors to go and I can start on the masts  :D

post-751-0-37031500-1458245376_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-83044100-1458245378_thumb.jpg

looking really sweet Stewart

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks to the usual people for the comments, they are always appreciated.  With reference to my last post and the "Only the anchors to go comment", I missed two little things ( ships boats). As per usual I completely underestimated how long these were going to take, after all they are only small... what a mug :huh:  they are taking for ever, anyway here's the progress

post-751-0-17668100-1464378987_thumb.jpg