Harriet Lane 1857 by slagoon - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:144 - steam paddle cutter

Adam, Can't wait to see you get started on it.

Sjors, eek - this part is HARD

Harvey, we'll have to take you up on it. Unfortunately the drawing they gave me has no color on it. (well it is black and white) so I can't tell which lines are necessarily running vs standing.The plans are so small unfortunately they seem to have not shown all the blocks and stuff. 

All right - time for updates.

DSC07188-M.jpg

DSC07189-M.jpg

DSC07190-M.jpg

DSC07191-M.jpg

DSC07192-M.jpg

DSC07193-M.jpg

DSC07194-M.jpg

Now I am seeing that some of the lines get connected to the inside part of the ship and I started thinking about the cleets for the running line...How big should they be? Based on the scale and the ones provided they are about 3" long...is that right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Now I am seeing that some of the lines get connected to the inside part of the ship and I started thinking about the cleets for the running line...How big should they be? Based on the scale and the ones provided they are about 3" long...is that right?

Thats approximately 7,5 cm, which is to my opinion rather small. I would sooner expect something in the order of 6". With three you can hardley run a rope around it, and our modern ropes are thinner, in comparrison to those used during Harriet's life time

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

your in the thick of it now!  the best way to describe rigging is like this.....standing rigging pertains to the masting and running rigging pertains to the yards,  booms,  gaffs,  and sails.   they might have the tutorials for rigging back up on the site,  but you can always do a search online.....there's plenty of material out there.  your doing a wonderful job......very nice work! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Off to a good start Sarah.  Whole different ballgame, isn't it?  Take your time, and as Jim Lad told me, be careful reaching around things.  You've mastered everything so far----you'll do the same here.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking good so far, Sarah!  I like what you did with the forestay.  Very sharp!

On the bowsprit - you may want to tighten those chains a tad - they serve as the backup to keep the bowsprit down when the jib sail is set. 

On the foremast yards - are you going to add the lifts (the rigging from the end of the yard to the mast that the yard hangs on when lowered).

The cleats that came in my kit scale to about 18" which is a good size - they look a smidgeon large on the main boom but not adjusting with a bit of judicious sanding and then some black paint.

I'll see if I have a good picture of the yard rigging that may help to understand the running versus standing rigging.  The rigging plans show very little of the running rigging - best resource for you may be to look at the Biddlecombe or Murphy & Jeffers Spars and Rigging from Nautical Routine, 1849.  Both give some great illustrations of the rigging - will try to pull a couple for you as well.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thank you Harvey that helps more than you know.

So I made an oopsie and broke my bowsprit and the rigging running to it. Sending husband to hobby store to get more rigging line (ran out with all my mistakes and overages).

Also realized I said the size of my cleats wrong. Stupid fingers.... They are running about 3 feet long since they are just a tad over 1/4 inch on my model

Thanks guys for all the encouragement.

Took a break from this ship tonight after the mistake and worked on a canoe (inspired by Keith aka tmc)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Ouch!  Don't feel bad, Sarah - I messed up on the tension for my shrouds and snapped the topmast clean off, with no hope for recovery.  Meant unrigging the bowsprit, shrouds (with ratlines), deadeyes, stays, backstays etc.  Looks much better in version 2, though!

As to the running rigging - I am working on a sketch and should be able to post it later today.  A quick way to think of it is that if the line runs through a block it is running rigging meant to be adjusted on a regular basis.

Look forward to seeing the canoe! 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Ouch! Bad luck with the bowsprit Sarah, but as the guys have already said, you can make it even better second time around. I don't want to think about how many times I've nearly snapped the bowsprit doing the rigging on my Victory. Don't lose heart - you're doing a great job!

sorry to hear of the mishap as well.    you'll find that it's all part of the hobby.......if it's not the tension of the lines,  then a sleeve caught it.........or your attack dog had lunch!  ;)   however it happens.......to recover well,  will give you the added strength to perservere.....then you 'll be able to joke with your husband,  when he has one of his  'ouch' moments.........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Haha yeh - I already broke the top of a mast off, and took pics of how I fixed it to add to the mistakes thread....will add those soon...Thanks for the encouragement everyone - it really does help. I'm glad I have a backup project that I can do that is letting me get back to basics a little...something with relatively quick progress. 

Since I was making such slow progress (remember I had about 8 hours a day to do what I was doing, so I wasn't exactly rushing) I'm going to keep working on the canoe during my work week (which officially began today) since I only have 1-2 hours to play...I figure that will give me more satisfaction than the 1 line per day I might get with the HL.  I'll start a build log in a little bit. Again thanks for all the encouragement. I'll have my next update on here probably in a week.  Don't worry I'll have my canoe so you don't go through Sarah Withdrawal.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

I'm finally caught up... and bang!!!  broken bits.  Sorry to hear this but I know you'll carry one once the frustration wears off.   I'll go over to you canoe log.. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Sarah, sorry to hear of the mishap.  Sometime self-induced (as on my part :( ) but these sorts of things hapeen and you have dealt with it in a great way.  Isn't the interruption of a perfectly good hobby day with a 'work day' such a pain- but then again, bills have to be paid   :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

HI Sara,

The Harriet Lane is an interesting vessel. Have really enjoyed your build thus far. It is hard for me to imagine what working in 1:144 scale would like until I saw the build going on, yikes.. Picked up a lot of great techniques and ideas from your build. Your hull work is really good, the funnel masteful.  The many photos you have posted really helps one to understand the build. Future builders will appreciate having your log.

Wish you well as you move along.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted on kit build log.

Current: Sultana (MSW) Updating the build log and continuing on with the build

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Edited by hopeful

Hey Mark - yeh it was quite a bummer for me too...Luckily I had a nice relaxing project to drop back to.

I know - work is such a bummer.  I heard about a guy who makes over 70k/year building scale ships on commission - maybe I should change jobs (probably would stop being so fun then though)

David Thanks! I'll be getting back to it Friday or Saturday this week - so you don't have to wait tooooo long!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hey Sherry - thanks - yeh the snap is horrible!

Keith - you made me laugh - I was drinking when I was reading your comment about the toothpick - it almost came out my nose....OH and toothpicks would actually be too thick!

Sam, you'll get there.

Ok It is going to be a LONG time between updates I fear from now for awhile.... I've put in some of the blocks for the running rigging...and then realized I reallllllllly need to do the rat lines before I went any further. I've decided upon the putting in every 4th one first like many have shown before. The glue takes awhile to dry and I don't want to add the next row until after the glue dries.

In case you are curious, once I fill in ALL the lines, they will be about 0.1" apart to be the 15"-16" separation that is what is standard in real life.

Here's some photos in case You Know Who drops by....

DSC07236-M.jpg

DSC07237-M.jpg

DSC07238-M.jpg

DSC07240-M.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

What a delicate job Sarah, don't you have a desire for a pill that makes you temporarily smaller like Alice in Wonderland ?

Curious to see further developments.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Thanks Grant...I guess I may speed up a bit but I'll be limited by glue drying speed.

John - it makes me want a pill.....of some kind.....hehehe luckily I have more patience than most people my age (most of the time)

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah - good luck on the ratlines!  I am just about ready to re-do mine (the original foremast shrouds got replaced when the topmast snapped, so need to retie those several hundred boogers...).  I wound up shifting to an embroidery thread for mine - a dark brown, spool says embroidery thread 768 by (I think) Molnlycke.  It is much finer than the shrouds and the knots don't look large when tied.  Easy to work with and stays well with a dab of dilute PVA.

I may have missed the photo, but how did you do the mainmast shrouds - did you wind up drilling the sponson for the chainplates?

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Epictetus

Yikes 2 ratlines down and 19 to go, just on that shroud alone. Have you counted the number of hitches you'll need when finished?

Instead of a clock watcher, you'll become a ratline hitch counter...

Oh BTW, have Jarero tie one line of those ratlines and then he won't feel those 1/2 billion brass nails was quite such a tedious job.

Oh and you should put your penny up, That orange clamp in the background looks monster and it looks like my litttle ones.

If they are 0.1" then the 2 you tied are only 0.4" apart, sheesh that makes my eyes ache just thinking about it.

Hi Sarah,

Good start on the ratlines! Remember not to get them too tight. I find, on your spacing template, that tracing the shrouds will help you from pulling them together too much (I believe Brian Toss calls that "Siameseing").

Another thing to consider (I believe they started doing it around the time of the HL) is to make every fourth ratline from wood. That will help maintain shroud spacing and reduce the monotony of all those clove hitches. I'll check around. I know the schooner Wawona had every 4th ratline made of wood. If I can find a picture I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Harvey

Wayne I did drill into the sponson for the chain plates, but just the very edge so it was no biggie....I'll take a closeup for you in the next couple days....when I am home for longer than just enough to sleep.

Keith, yes, tiny, my eyes hurt too! I will do a penny shot just for you.  I wonder if there is actually a shot called a penny......hmmmmm there is one called a "copper penny" with ice, one ounce of amaretto,a half an ounce of white creme de coco, and milk...sounds good.

Harvey, its a neat idea, however I'm already too far in on one side and I'd probably have to take the shrouds off completely to do that...also that would be TINY wood....like ship in a bottle splinters! hehehe. Maybe when I do something a tad larger.

Guys, don't forget to submit photos for the calendar! (See the general discussion for the link).

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hi Sarah,

Pictures……..

And you started  on the ratlines  :)

So almost to an end…..

When you've got the feeling to tie them, I have 2 ships that also need some ratlines so when you are in the mood………be my guest!

Only one thing…….are your ratlines not to far away from each other?

I mean…..when you look at pictures, the distance between the ratlines are closer to each other then yours.

They have a squire and yours not…..

Maybe you can put an other one between those who already there?

Now they need long arms to get up……..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Haha, Sjors, don't worry, I'm skipping 3 ratlines for every one I tie. I'll go back and fill those 3 in afterwards so that I don't get a "hourglass" look...I learned that trick from the rigging part of the forum :) Hope it works.... so you'll see lots of them.... there will be 21 ratlines on each side on each mast on the lower shrouds.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build: