Harriet Lane 1857 by slagoon - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:144 - steam paddle cutter

Welcome to Club Ratline.  Looks like a good start.  Don't make them too tite! 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

hello Sarah.....I see you started your ratlines........good show!   sounds like a neat method........I just go up without skipping.   I had never done them before,  until I got into wood builds......plastic build ratlines are usually premade.   I'll probably have a set when I do the United States......I'm going to do dead eyes and ratlines for that build.   I'll look forward in seeing how they come out.......so far.........sooooo good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

I've been so busy playing with my ship that I've not updated my log for awhile.  Lets start with the IOU's

Wayne, here is a photo of the dead eyes going into the sponsons....

DSC07241-M.jpg

Keith - here is the penny with a completed ratline for persepective :)

DSC07243-M.jpg

When making the ratlines I used this cardstock comb that I made to keep the lines separated.

DSC07248-M.jpg

Ok, so I finished the 4 sets of ratlines.

DSC07245-M.jpg

DSC07246-M.jpg

Now that I've finished the ratlines (phew) I'm on to my next challenge, furled sails. Thanks to everyone who sent me photos of furled sails -that helped a bunch. The local club gave me some silkspan to use (which is lucky since the sail cloth I'd bought from ME was way too heavy for furled sails.) and I cut and died it with earl grey. 

I found that wetting the silkspan gave it a more realistic weight so I furled them while they were still wet and they held that shape when they dried. I'm going for the look that they've just been temporarily tied up, not the fully stowed perfect bundle that they do when they are fully storing the sails. 

DSC07250-M.jpg

DSC07249-M.jpg

DSC07251-M.jpg

DSC07252-M.jpg

I am working on running rigging tonight :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Wow that's a great job Sarah. The ratlines looking wonderful.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

John - thanks - I'm feeling pretty pleased so far.

Harvey, I just know it stains teeth so I figured it would stain a sail really well (also I don't like the flavor and needed to use the pouches) but it did smell good until I thoroughly rinsed them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Your ratlines look great Sarah.  But the dyed sails look ------ spectacular!  Silkspan and Earl Gray------you're OK young lady!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice job Sarah!   I didn't rinse the sails I stained on the Susan A.   I left it full strength!   feels good to be  'almost finished'.......huh!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Sarah,

The ratlines and furled sails, looking good, looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for the photo, Sarah.  Your ratlines came out nicely - bet you are glad to get that out of the way!

I see you ran into the same problem I am with that one chainplate - tough to fit it around that one gun port!  I had to shift mine further forward on the sponson to be able to straddle the port.

The sails look good - have fun with the running rigging!  You are definitely on the home stretch now!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hey Sarah

Congrats, on promotion and finished ratlines.

On the furled sails (they look great) aren't the top 2 yards dropped when they are furled typically. I think I saw that somewhere in another log, could of been MSW1 even, its been a while ago. Of course on that small bugger, thats what about a centimeter or so.

Oh and on your ratlines, you probably should'a used spider web to be on scale. Those close up pictures really show everything. I can't believe you hitched those little buggers, unBELIEVABLE!!!

Hi Sarah!

Congratulations and thank you for being a moderator! Along with your work on the calendar and your great build logs, you are one of the treasures of this site! LMAO at your hubby's scratch & sniff comment too -good one Jared! :)

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Guys, thanks all for your congratulations! It is really heartwarming to be asked to do something like this.

I have some bad news now....

ready?

are you sure?

ok....

There isn't much left to this build log! I am nearly finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to catch you up.

I added the sail to the main mast. 

DSC07253-M.jpg

I then added the traveling rod right behind the binnacle.

DSC07254-M.jpg

Next I added all of my blocks to the mainmast.

DSC07255-M.jpg

DSC07257-M.jpg

I added the flag block to the jibboom.

DSC07259-M.jpg

Then I put the rigging on while the sail was still raised....I figured it would be easier to make sure I did it right since the drawing shows the sail unfurled...

DSC07260-M.jpg

Then I added the rigging to the traveling rod and the rest to the gaff.

DSC07262-M.jpg

DSC07261-M.jpg

Then I added the strings for tying the sails.

DSC07264-M.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Here is the paintbrush and water I use to wet the sails.

DSC07265-M.jpg

DSC07267-M.jpg

Then I decided to make some rabbit turds...er....cannon balls.... out of sculpy.

DSC07270-M.jpg

Jared, my husband, gave me a great idea about how to make a cannon ball pyramid.... Use tape, sticky side up to hold the cannonballs how I want them, then use glue to stack them.

DSC07271-M.jpg

Then I added a little boarder around them.

DSC07273-M.jpg

I also added some decals to the back to name the ship :)

DSC07289-M.jpg

Time to put on the ships boats....I just basically followed the directions. Note - I am REALLY glad I waited until the very end to add these, however I wish I had added the cleats before the deck furniture and I also wish I had drilled the holes for the things that hang over the side back at that step too...would have been easier.... but waiting to install those and the rigging for it was a great idea.

DSC07275-M.jpg

DSC07279-M.jpg

I added my cannons and cannonball holders. I also put on some ropes on the belaying pins.

DSC07280-M.jpg

DSC07281-M.jpg

DSC07286-M.jpg

DSC07288-M.jpg

DSC07287-M.jpg

All that is left is putting on the nameplate and oiling the base!

YAY.  Will be starting my next build log soon :)

There will be another update once I have the base done.  I'll also do some really good photos later :)

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah, she is a beauty. Congratulations on finishing the HARRIET LANE and last but not least your nomination as Moderator. :champagne:

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Hello Sarah,

Congratulations!  She looks beautiful, you may be proud.

What will your next build be?

The Krabbenkutter, the Victory Cross section or maybe both?

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

I'm actually going to do a TINY Missouri - we are moving in a couple months so I want to not be in the middle of something then.

THANK YOU soooo much Anja, Sam, Sherry, Grant, and John :)

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Fabulous work Sarah.  You have something to be proud of :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Congratulation Sarah, both on the completion or your model (you can be proud of her, she is a beauty!) and on your appointment as a mod!  :cheers:

Will you next project be at a larger scale?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Sarah.

Congratulations on the completion of the Harriet Lane.  I’ll miss this build.

Also congratulations on becoming a moderator.  Well done on both.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Sarah, Nice work, especially at that scale. I particularly liked the furling job...very neat!

Your logs are fun to follow not only to see your work, but the repartee is especially entertaining. Don't focus so much on the moderator work that you neglect to post entries!

I hope you're not moving far...not out of the Seattle area? And a TINY Missouri? How tiny is tiny?

Tom

nice job on finishing your build Sarah.......you sure did a super job on the H.L. !  if I hadn't mentione it earlier.....congrats on your new position....I'm sure you will embrace it well  ;)   I'll look forward to your next build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work on her Sarah.  She looks great so give her a place of honor.  

Mark

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow  guys - thanks everyone. Immediately I'll be working on the Tiny Missouri.  My next after that will be the Krabbenkutter from Billing Boats (much better scale). I can't wait!!!!!!

As far as moving - just a few towns away to a house that we will rent for a couple years then (fingers crossed) be able to buy.

All of your support (even the silent folks) helped me get to the finish line on this lil gal.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Actually when I was searching for a less expensive kit of it I came across your blog version and bookmarked it :) Thanks!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build: