Harriet Lane 1857 by slagoon - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:144 - steam paddle cutter

Ahoy Sarah,   :D

A little late to the party "as usual"

Beautiful build and “Congratz” on this milestone.

It is quite an achievement to finish one of these kits. Many will attempt, but only a few will succeed. It speaks highly of your character and my hat goes off to you.   :)

Best Wishes on your next adventure

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

oh boy!

My nameplate badge thing came in today so I just need to take it to an engraving place and I'll be all done!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Keith, don't worry, I just got the nameplate yesterday. 

Sam, Thanks!

Mathew, if you want to do solid hull for it you may want to buy it sooner rather than later. I've heard rumor that late this year or early next year this kit may become POF.  If you want to plank the hull, good news, you just have to wait a bit!!!

Tex, thanks!

Carl, last but certainly not least :) thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

• 1 month later...

hi every-one.

I too have the Harriet Lane kit, and after looking at all the models in progress i am considering modyfying things.So i may cut bulwarks off down to deck level and

then building them back up perhaps using thin ply or planks has anybody thoughts about this.

Janet Bode. BYE

Hi, Janet. I would probably do that if I built it again. It was my first wooden model so stayed with the kit for the most part.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 5 months later...

really am liking ur build is giving me good ideas as this is my 1st wood model, done plastic, such a difference.  any help would be awsome or ideas i wish i could post my build as i go but my pics are way to big have to have my fiance adjust the camara lol

Jaws - let me know when you have photos up and what you need help with - I'd be glad to assist.

Gulfmedic - thanks so much

Everyone, since this log is essentially complete I've deleted a number of the "comments" that didn't add to the build including a bunch of "nice jobs"  I definitely appreciate the conversation and the atta boys but since this log is now more for historical purposes for any builder who looks to make a transitional, solid hull, or this exact ship I thought it might help them get to the "meat" of the content faster. Please do not feel slighted if your compliment was removed - I re-read each of them and I was touched by the thoughtfulness behind each. Again I'm just trying to make this better for postarity sake.

I know I haven't been around for awhile but I've made some TINY progress on my Krabbenkutter. You will see updates soon. Promise.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

I'll look forward in seeing it Sarah  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 7 years later...

I am currently building this exact model (my 1st attempt at a model, save for a childhood failure with the Revel Constitution).  You have done a wonderful job!! I decided, after adding my standing rigging to the foremast, that the supplied thread is to thick for the model scale. I have since moved to much thinner thread. The chains are fine for the anchor and paddle wheel housings, but too big for me to use for the funnel guys. I used thick thread there.