21ft English Pinnace by Mike Y - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Slowly finishing interior details. Mounted splash protectors, rings, some decorative things near a few twarts, small ladder for a captain.

Some things are done not according to the manual (different position on splash protectors, etc). So far I like the modified parts compared to pictures in manual :)

post-5430-0-18866900-1398611914_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-52188200-1398611928_thumb.jpg

Rudder tiller was nice, but too small for that scale. Made another one, bigger. Maybe it is not in scale, but now it will not break if a fly poops on it ;)

Connection between carved part and turned part is enforced with a small brass rod. It is a pity that connection is visible, will try better next time:

post-5430-0-56767600-1398612074_thumb.jpg

And that is a moulded boxwood strip instead of friesers (that look like an overdecoration imho). I understand that are a part of contemporary model, plus the whole point of captain pinnace is to flash, so it was overdecorated. But I like a more laconic design, so replaced most flashy parts with less flashy, but elegant:

post-5430-0-33472500-1398612155_thumb.jpg

Looks beautiful Mike,

wonderful lines, wonderful authentic build, Looks featherlight and must have a sparkling Performance when rowing the master to the shore...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Well I guess she is ready for the finished gallery.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Today worked on oar locks. There is a mismatch between photo in instructions and the ship plans, preferred version from plans.

Inspired by Remco build log, decided to switch to "treat every detail as a model" philosophy :) and no sanding, make things good straight away, do not count on sanding to hide mistakes. And - want to make a tiny thing - make a jig first!

post-5430-0-38155100-1398979845_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-88188600-1398979866_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-53905200-1398979902_thumb.jpg

Now I wonder how to apply poly to that tiny pieces... And ideas? :)

Prepared all metal parts. Manual suggests to use black paper, but it looks so-so, will use blackened brass instead.

Imitation of bolts is done by bumping it with a dull nail.

post-5430-0-15728100-1399136190_thumb.jpg

Waiting for a blackening liquid to arrive...

Rest of the day was spent on oars. Tricky little things, if you don't have a lathe.

I turned them from a square boxwood stock, holding it with bare fingers. Even on a minimum speed it was hard, now I don't have a fingerprints on a few fingers anymore :)

post-5430-0-73402400-1399136336_thumb.jpg

When painted, they look cute (no poly yet, will be better after a coat of poly):

post-5430-0-84563500-1399136398_thumb.jpg

Very well done, Mike.  The oars look perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

When do you start on the Longboat? I want to follow you closely. Very nice.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Thanks everybody! :)

Dave, please keep in mind that I did some things not according to instructions, original Chuck's pinnace will look a bit different. It is all about individual preferences...

Floyd, will start it right after pinnace, but on a slower speed, since it is summer :)

Installed oar locks. Their crisp edges a bit in contrast with a smooth hull. I tried to smooth them, but on that scale I can't make it accurately. So let's call it a feature :)

post-5430-0-11493200-1399215326_thumb.jpg

While making a photos saw how innacurate is the twart moulding... I should have make it from boxwood, but. I had no boxwood back then... And it is deeply in a boat structure, can't find a way to replace twarts without traces.

Well, I will blame that drunk rowers, who was trying to hide contraband in that mouldings! :)

post-5430-0-73633000-1399215356_thumb.jpg

Mike I hope my longboat is half as good as this one.

Blackening liquid arrived (Birchwood Casey), but the first blackening was an epic fail :)

Blackening just falls off, it do not stick at all. I cant take a piece with fingers or tweetzer, the black patina just sticks to fingers, thats it:

post-5430-0-52967600-1399661225_thumb.jpg

What has go wrong?

My workflow was:

1) put brass parts into acetone for 30min to degrease

2) rinse with water

3) put into blackening liquid diluted with water 1:8

4) wait for 30-60min

5) Actually blackening stopped after 30min, so I added a bit more liquid, maybe it ended up close to 1:6 ratio.

6) removed after 2 hours in liquid

7) rinsed with water

8) left to dry overnight.

Maybe I should use another ratio? Or use distilled water instead of tap one? Or?

Would appreciate any hints!

Hi Mike,

Try soaking the part in vinegar for 10 minutes before the acetone bath. Sometimes there could be contaminants that acetone won't dissolve.

Also, you're leaving the parts in the Blackener far too long. All this does is create a black crust which flakes off. Try leaving them in for as little time as you need to get an even coat - I only leave my parts in for between 30 seconds and 1 minute. I polish off any excess blackener with a paper towel or q-tip.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Dan!

Maybe I should not dilute the blackening agent then?

After 10min, parts were not black at all. Fist sign of blackness appeared after 30min or so.

After 10min, parts were not black at all.

Very odd. My brass starts blackening almost as soon as it hits the Blackener. The main secret to it is to VERY THOROUGHLY clean the brass - try polishing it if the vinegar doesn't work, or use brass from another source and see if there's any difference.

BTW - your ratio of 8:1 is about spot-on. It's not critical to get it exact.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Cracked the reason. My brass was covered with a layer of something transparent, for a nice shiny look.

Brushed it away with a metal disk brush, to expose a bare brass. Now it blackens immediately, as expected! Awesome! :)

Well done Mike - I suspected as much, but acetone usually dissolves the coating that's sometimes applied to brass. You may need to try a few different types of thinners until you find the one that works, perhaps a Polyurethane thinner may do the trick. They may need an overnight soak in the stuff.

Cheers, Danny

Mike Danny Beat me to it. I use only the vinegar or paint thinner. I don't even use acetone. I also do a 4:1 mixture. Other than that  I do exactly what you do. And make sure to rinse and completely dry between steps.

Glad to see you solved that problem Mike.

I'm a long way from blackening but keeping track of the tips/tricks for when I get there.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Hooray! I finished all the messy part of gluing metal parts onto wood parts. Damn CA! Hate it!

Metal bumper looks much better then a paper one. Or I probably just cant work with the paper (some build logs of ships from card totally changed the view on paper)

post-5430-0-50474800-1399842208_thumb.jpg

Rudder tiller have a brass rod inside to make a stronger joint with a rudder:

post-5430-0-07411700-1399842163_thumb.jpg

And here is the rudder installed. Fully functional, you can rotate it gently :)

post-5430-0-07041200-1399842258_thumb.jpg

Trunk of the pinnace looked too empty. Then I started to think... What could be there? It is a flashy pinnace, not the one that is used to carry food supply. It is intended to transport officers. What they could carry with them?? Aha! Some high quality booze, to make sure it will not disappear while officers are on the shore.

So here is a tiny booze tank:

post-5430-0-43928900-1399842428_thumb.jpg

SKÅL!