HMS Victory by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Del Prado - Restoration

Thanks for that Keith. It actually measures at 28 degrees - your guess was pretty good :) .

Thanks Craig and Scott. Actually, I keep reminding her that it was her idea in the first place :D .

cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I will go the other way and say that if the model was indeed the guy's first attempt at building a ship, good for him.  He got pretty far along and was still building it and presumably having fun doing it before he passed.  

Danny, it is very nice of you to continue the work and re-work it to your standards. You are doing an excellent job. 

But I disagree with the replies making fun of how the model looked.  I doubt people would say such things if he had a build log on this forum and posted those pictures. They would instead do the standard (great!) MSW thing and encourage him on his build and to have fun and enjoy the hobby. 

So I will repeat, good job man! Sorry we didn't get to follow along with you and see  you finish the project but you got a really nice guy helping for you.  

Edited by craigb

Dan,

That's nearly a whole 48 hours since your last post, you must be finished by now ?

Any more pictures?

I won't be finished for a while yet :D , but here's a couple of pics of the "current state of play". I'll do a full set of progress pics when I get home next week - it's too hard to do with the laptop I'm using at the moment.

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

Craigb - sure, the old guy had a go to the best of his abilities on a very poor kit. The more I read the "destructions" the more I realise why he did it the way he did - they even confuse ME :D .

If he'd have been on MSW from the start we'd have helped him through and I'd have had a much easier task now. Or we'd have talked him out of attempting the kit in the first place and gone with something a lot easier which he probably would have finished before he passed away.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Wow Danny!

Already it's hard to believe that's the same model. Can't wait to see the full set of pics.

You're doing a great job (as usual), and all jokes aside, your generosity of spirit towards almost total strangers sets an example to us all.

Well done.

I will go the other way and say that if the model was indeed the guy's first attempt at building a ship, good for him.  He got pretty far along and was still building it and presumably having fun doing it before he passed.  

Danny, it is very nice of you to continue the work and re-work it to your standards. You are doing an excellent job. 

But I disagree with the replies making fun of how the model looked.  I doubt people would say such things if he had a build log on this forum and posted those pictures. They would instead do the standard (great!) MSW thing and encourage him on his build and to have fun and enjoy the hobby. 

So I will repeat, good job man! Sorry we didn't get to follow along with you and see  you finish the project but you got a really nice guy helping for you.

I think that's a little unfair. I re-read the posts and the majority are sympathy for Dan or having a pop at Del Prado. Okay one or two could have been phrased a little more tactfully but on the whole I have no problems with what has been posted.

What I do agree with is your sentiment that the members of this site are very supportive when you need help. I guess if the chap had known/used MSW then the model might have looked a whole lot better.

I'll get off my soapbox now

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Craigie65 - I was editing my previous post as you sent the above reply. My sentiments exactly :) .

Cheers, Danny

The most important thing to take away form this is that it is so important to spend the time to sand things to shape, and use filler where required, and paint where it will improve the overall look etc.

A good motivator to anyone with an abandoned earlier attempt.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Kudos to you Dan for what you are doing with this ship, I had to do a double take when seeing the rework it did not look like the same model. A testament to your skill and kindness.

Happy New Year Sir.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Excellent work Dan.I applaud the way in which you have exercised restraint and done the minimum to bring her current state.The thing to remember is the great sentimental value that the model must carry and completely rebuilding it would mean it was no longer really the model that you started with(coupled with the fact it would be a massive amount of time for yourself).

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Holy cow Dan!  I just  came by this log. What a challenge!   The victory still scares the heck out of me too much to try, I can't imagine a newbie starting with it.

I'm quite interested in how she will fair.

- Bug

Thanks for the comments Philo, demonborger, Michael, Ed, Nigel and Bug :) .

Now that I'm back home again I'll post all the progress pics I took (a couple might be repeats, but they are there for a reason).

From the start, and a couple of real nasty ones :

Victory.jpg

Victory (1).jpg

Victory (5).jpg

Victory (6).jpg

Work in progress on the Hull. Guns, Port Lids and Wales etc have been removed :

Victory (24).jpg

Victory (26).jpg

Wood Filler has been applied and sanded. The Ports are later trimmed to shape :

Victory (17).jpg

Victory (27).jpg

Victory (28).jpg

Note that I changed my mind several times in the early parts of this Reconstruction as to how far I was going to go with it.

To be Continued in next Post .....

Cheers, Danny

The hull after painting with Hammertone Copper. The particular paint I used didn't come out as a real hammertone, more like a very light ripple :

Victory (18).jpg

Victory (19).jpg

Wales and other strakes were made from new stock and re-fitted :

Victory (30).jpg

Victory (32).jpg

Some more particularly bad work around the Quarters. The kit instructions were to blame for a large part of this - no mention made of Fairing the frames at all :angry:  :

Victory (16).jpg

Victory (23).jpg

Wood Filler was used below the waterline. I laid new planking forward of the quarters themselves, and later fitted a roof over them (also not mentioned in the instructions).

Cheers, Danny

The first part of the model I tore out and replaced were the Decks - the hull actually came after when I saw that I'd done TOO good a job on them :D . Here are a couple of pics from BEFORE :

Victory (2).jpg

Victory (8).jpg

The decks were ripped out using a flat chisel-point Xacto. I removed the whole quarterdeck as it was badly out of position :

Victory (12).jpg

Victory (11).jpg

Victory (10).jpg

Some pics of the decks after sanding smooth, filling and re-planking :

Victory (20).jpg

Victory (21).jpg

Victory (22).jpg

To be Continued in next Post

Cheers, Danny

The hull was painted (I remembered why I do all my models in lacquered raw wood - I HATE painting :D ). I used Tamiya Acrylic in Satin Black and a Yellow that was somewhere near Ochre but had a bit too much green in it - it was all I could get from the local Hobby Shop but it looks a lot better than the Gloss Yellow of the original. Tamiya Masking Tape was my friend here - excellent sharp lines and it didn't pull up any paint when removed. It was my first experience using this tape and I can highly recommend it :) :

Guns were fitted to the poorly mounted cast ports by re-drilling the holes for the pins. I taped a couple of strips underneath the barrels to support them in approximately the right position while the slow-setting Epoxy dried :

Victory (35).jpg

Victory (42).jpg

I opted to leave the Port side guns in the closed position - I'd already spent too long fitting the Starboard (better) side, and most of the ports on the Port side were too far out of position to make a half-way decent job of them. Some of the worst ones on the Starboard side are also in the closed position for the same reason :

Victory (43).jpg

BTW - compare the above pic with the one taken from the same angle in the BEFORE pics ;) .

Cheers, Danny

Before I could fit any of the poorly cast (why was that no surprise?) fittings they all needed a thorough soaking in Acetone, followed by half a day's worth of scrubbing with a toothbrush to remove all the glue and paint. This was a REAL mission :angry: :

Victory (36).jpg

Victory (37).jpg

Victory (38).jpg

Victory (39).jpg

Then I spent the rest of the day cleaning up casting flash and filing.

Continued in next Post

Cheers, Danny

I made and fitted a new Companion to the lower deck. Old mate must have attempted to make one in-situ (I wish I'd taken a pic of it). The treads were roughly VERTICAL :huh:  and as rough as guts :

Victory (40).jpg

Victory (41).jpg

Note the planking on the lower deck - I couldn't really do anything about it without ripping up the entire forecastle deck/gangways. This was another result of confusing kit instructions :angry: . Most of the lower deck will be hidden anyway when I fit a couple of Longboats to the beams.

Continued in next Post

Cheers, Danny

The re-built and mostly finished off Headworks :

Victory (49).jpg

I also re-made the Rudder, but unfortunately forgot to take a pic of the finished result. My attempt turned out fairly rough historically speaking, but it was a bit better than what I had to start with :

Victory (15).jpg

I'll post pics of the rudder on my next visit to my caravan in two weeks. The model has been left there so I'm not tempted to work on it at home instead of on Vulture - a huge temptation I'm sure you will agree ;)  .

Continued in next Post

Cheers, Danny

First, a pic from BEFORE :

Victory (4).jpg

Some progress pics of the hatch coamings and deck furniture. I re-made all the coamings from new stock. I'll fit some aftermarket wooden Gratings to several of the hatches later on (naturally, the local Hobby Shop doesn't carry them - they mostly do all R/C stuff) :

Victory (44).jpg

Victory (45).jpg

Victory (46).jpg

Victory (47).jpg

Victory (48).jpg

Continued in next Post

Cheers, Danny

I made all new Timberheads. I used 0.5mm brass wire to ensure a good bond. Yeah, I KNOW they aren't accurate :D :

Victory (50).jpg

Victory (51).jpg

Victory (52).jpg

Continued in next Post .....

Cheers, Danny

Wow!! amazing transformation...... You are going to make someone really HAPPY!!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

The last BEFORE pic :

Victory (3).jpg

This is almost where I am up to (a couple of pics still to come on my next visit to my van). All the hull is finished except for the Stanchion rigging and Gratings, and the next job will be the masts (a total re-make).

Not having any stock of sufficient thickness, I laminated some pieces together to make the Cathead Knees :

Victory (53).jpg

Victory (54).jpg

Victory (55).jpg

Victory (56).jpg

This concludes my Update for now.

Cheers, Danny

gosh, you are ambitious Danny.  It was probably only good for firewood.

Landfill perhaps? :D

Thank you Frank - I sure hope so :) .

Cheers, Danny

Excellent craftsmanship Capt. Dan! I am very impressed at the speed that you are able to accomplish this at. I know you are a seasoned builder though, so I should expect that! Looking forward to more updates. I know your wife's friend will be amazed at the final product.

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale

I love to see restorations.  The process from point a to point b is fascinating.  This log is a great example.  Incredible work Dan.  I echo the thoughts to not be so harsh on the original builder.  While he was new to the craft he had the guts and persistence to get the Victory as far as he did.  I can't say I would have done the same.     

WOW, onwards and upwards.. This is great Danny, I love to make crappy things fantastic, it gives you a buzz, not to mention what you are doing for friendss/fam.. I take my hat off to you.. She looks great...

Have you kept a tally of how many hours this has or will take? Would be very interesting also.. Warm Regards Ollie