HMS Victory by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Del Prado - Restoration

Fantastic Danny. Not only your usual excellent workmanship, but also your customary speed - what else should we expect. Someone is going to be a very happy camper when you finish this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments Bug, Craig, Daniel, Ollie, Grant, Craig and Blademaster :) .

Have you kept a tally of how many hours this has or will take?

Not really Ollie. I estimate about 45 hours so far.

I managed some more work on the model over the (looong - mine started on Wednesday :D ) Australia Day weekend.

The old guy had "built" the Masts, but they were so rough and out of shape that my easiest option was to scrap virtually everything and start over. I kept the Mast Tops, as I didn't have anything on hand to replace them with. I soaked them overnight in Acetone to soften the glue and paint, then cleaned them up.

Below are a couple of pics of the Tops and a Mast Coat from BEFORE :

Masts 005.jpg

Masts 008.jpg

And some pics AFTER :

Masts 009.jpg

Masts 010.jpg

Masts 017.jpg

Masts 018.jpg

I realize that the Tops are nowhere near accurate, but don't forget I'm attempting to build this model the way the old guy would have liked it to come out ;)  .

Continued in next Post ......

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I rebuilt and stepped the Masts - this took nearly a full day, as the holes on each deck and the bulkheads below them didn't come close to lining up :

Masts 001.jpg

Masts 002.jpg

Masts 003.jpg

Masts 004.jpg

I've also fitted about half the lower deadeyes and their chains - again, not historically accurate but that's what the kit supplied. The kit deadeyes aren't too bad actually - they are cast in Resin and the holes are better than most kits with wooden ones. The chains were already fitted to the deadeyes - I don't know if they came like this in the kit, but I suspect they did. It saved me a lot of work anyway :D :

Masts 016.jpg

Masts 015.jpg

The loose chains will tighten up when I fit the Shrouds. There are also a couple of Gunport Lids that will need re-fitting - I managed to loosen a few while fitting the Chains .... I'll fit ALL the Chains before doing this, as no doubt I'll disturb a couple more yet.

Continued in next Post .....

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Nice work Danny. Is it difficult giving up on the accuracy a bit, or does that take the pressure off?

-Bug

Last pics for now are of the Rudder I'd previously rebuilt and fitted and forgot to take pics of a couple of weeks ago :

Rudder (1).jpg

Rudder (2).jpg

Rudder (3).jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny. Is it difficult giving up on the accuracy a bit, or does that take the pressure off?

-Bug

A bit of both Bug :D .

Cheers, Danny

Amazing work Danny. I like your approach of fitting the detail to the level of the previous attempt rather than to your own exacting standards. That makes perfect sense to me in terms of the commitment on your part and the expectations at the other end. Man, I would have given up before I'd even started. Your devotion to a promise is to be admired. Well done and hats off to you.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 2 weeks later...

You have certainly taken on a tough one!

I have a del prado Vic kit but am missing some issues - all I need is scans of the issue instructions as these show the dimensions of the missing parts - the 4 missing instruction issues are 28, 29, 67, 68

Can you help?

I am happy to pay

Petercrane

Hi Peter,

The Victory is at my holiday van, to which I won't be returning for at least the next three weeks. Give me an idea of the actual parts and I'll see if I can remember if there actually ARE any useful dimensions - most parts had very useless "dimensions", like 65mm for the length of a spool of rigging line (that's the measurement of the cardboard tube, NOT the length or diameter of the actual line :angry: ).

You may have to wait until I go back up there, but I'll be glad to help out if I can.

Cheers, Danny

G'day, Danny!

Just found this log.  Mate, you've got a heart as big as Western Queensland to take that on.

Good on the old bloke for having a try!  As has already been said, if he'd only had a bit of help he might have been able to make a go of it, but it looks like you're turning it into a pretty reasonable model anyway.

John

Dan you are a genius.   All that work done in a van and no power tools.  You are an inspiration to me.  When I moved in with my sister I had to leave all my power tools at home.

David B

Dan..... all i can say is that you a braver man than me,                                                                                                                                                                                                           

I think MSW should create an honours system, whereby anybody showing bravery beyond the call of duty would be suitably rewarded.....maybe (The MSW order for Gallantry) , I for one would put your name forward for this very Galllant and kind act.

I cant help feeling sorry that the old gentleman in Question will not see the finished ship though.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Danny

I think I can feel with you when you took this on, because Facelifting a junk model anyone can do somehow, but you are taking the "not mean Task" for a challenge to your superb skills in Performance to even turn Shabby into Gold, respect !!! I admire your way of Tackling this Project, please do not give up down the way, good success

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Danny, you made a terrific job with this model, its hard to believe the way you change the "original" to this new Victory.  Really is a VICTORY for you!!

Also I am trying to restore and finish a model Vasa gived to me by a friend who could not build it. Because these reconstructions have their special challenges probably could be a good idea to create a special category in the forum dealing with this cases.

Saludos!!

G'day, Danny!

Just found this log.  Mate, you've got a heart as big as Western Queensland to take that on.

Good on the old bloke for having a try!  As has already been said, if he'd only had a bit of help he might have been able to make a go of it, but it looks like you're turning it into a pretty reasonable model anyway.

John

And about time you found this Log too John :angry::D :D . "Pretty Reasonable" eh? On a scale of 0 to 10 that would probably rate as a 4. I totally agree :D .

All that work done in a van and no power tools.

Actually David, it's being done in the carport attached to the van - more room and excellent lighting (the sun :) ). The "no power tools" bit was a minor challenge - I discovered a few new skills on how to make do without them :D .

I cant help feeling sorry that the old gentleman in Question will not see the finished ship though.

Thank you Jack, and yeah so do I. At least his daughter will have something else to keep in his memory.

please do not give up down the way

Thanks Nils, and no way will I stop until I'm finished :) .

Because these reconstructions have their special challenges probably could be a good idea to create a special category in the forum dealing with this cases.

Thank you too Karl (?) - there are a few "Restorations" on MSW (I've done another which was lost in MSW 1.0, and I have two more coming up after I've finished this one). I might start adding "RESTORATION" in the Build Log Titles of all those I find so the Search will find them all.

Are you sure this is the same model???

Druxey - YES :D . Thanks for the kind comment.

Cheers, Danny

Top work Dan. Hard to believe it's the same ship. You're a man of your word sticking with this project.

Danny,

Many thanks for your reply. There is no hurry as there is plenty to do before I get there. The main part missing is on Issue 28 or 29, and is the second to last frame. I think the other pieces on these two issues are strip, which I can replace. Also if I cannot get the dimensions of the missing frame, I should be able to calculate to from the frames either side. But if you have the instruction sheets from these issues it would be helpful to know what parts were issued with issues 28, 29, 67 and 68. I have learned a lot from following your log - many thanks. The main point being not to trust the del Prado design. I have ordered the book from the HMS Victory museum which, with some 200 photos, should be helpful

Peter

Danny are you sure you finish daily before midnight, it somehow reminds me of Cindarella...

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan

Just to let you know that I have managed to get the missing issues - mainly from Spode Collectables, who were very helpful.

Looking at details of the specs of other kit manufacturers of the Victory, I can see why people are scathing about the del prado version.

Anyway, many thanks for your offer of help

Kind regards

Petercrane

I'm glad to hear you found them Peter, as I probably won't be going up to the van for another couple of weeks - I'm not feeling very well at the moment :( .

Cheers, Danny

sofar dan u are doing great craftmen ship on the victory  it was in vary bad shape  and now its great so far what a diff keep up the great work 

• 1 month later...

Thank you dragzz :) .

I finally feel well enough to make a return to my van and therefore this Build :) .

In three days I managed to fit the rest of the deadeyes and chains, and made a start on the Shrouds. The lower Foremast ones and half the lower Mainmast ones are now fitted. I'm not totally happy about the varying heights of the upper deadeyes, but they look in keeping with the rest of the ship ;)  .

Shrouds 001.jpg

Shrouds 002.jpg

Shrouds 003.jpg

Shrouds 005.jpg

More work will be done in the coming couple of weeks, as I'll be returning to the van over Easter and the Anzac Day long weekend.

Cheers, Danny

I am happy to see you are a little better.

PS I am also glad  your working on this model as well.

David B