HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Ben,

Do-overs are part of the fun, don't ya' know.  :)  :) :)   Looking good, real good.   Keep going. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The sternpost has been glued and pinned to the keel and aft deadwood now, I have to finish refining the shape back there and then I will start making the rising wood pieces.

Ben

post-234-0-41618700-1393623008_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-57064600-1393623037_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-11162100-1393623067_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-25321100-1393623096_thumb.jpg

Very Nice Ben! Nice clean work. And yes it is a piece of cake from here on out.

Hopefully it's a kind of cake you like though! :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Druxey!

Here are the 3 pieces of rising wood complete with scarph joints being glued to the keel. I am not going to notch them for the frames like I did on the Echo as it won't be seen.

Tomorrow I shall start marking out and cutting the rabbet and finish shaping the deadwood into the sternpost.

Ben

post-234-0-26884700-1393714149_thumb.jpg

Agreed . 5 to 10 years would be just right the way my eyes are failing , it would probably be my last build .have been slowly collecting what I need the last couple of years . Just need to buy the plans from the NMM and the timber .

David

Edited by scratch

Ben, that is a sweet looking keel. Your work on this is very crisp and clean.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Very Nice Ben. Little bites of the cake are good.!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi and thanks for the comments and likes.

As well as making the acrylic stands that will hold the stem/stern in place on the buildboard I have also started the stern framing.

Here is the all important Wing transom cut out of 18" stock and the 3" roundup sanded in so the piece is 15" all the way across. Now to start the shaping. I have left the ends 1/32 oversize to allow adjustment with the cant frame.

Ben

post-234-0-99507700-1394394885_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-03542300-1394394904_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are all the transoms made but they have not been glued and pinned yet, I had to make transom #4 twice as the first one was skewed.

I have finished making the acrylic stands and all I have to do now is finish marking the buildboard before bolting the keel down, then the transoms can be fixed in place.

Ben

post-234-0-22334100-1395607012_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-28068800-1395607063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben

NOW we're underway.  Very nice Ben.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice and clean, Ben. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is incredible work Ben. The transom pieces are very clean and precise.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks Augie, Mark, Patrick and Grant and all the likes. It's slow going but I am having an absolute ball learning all these new skills.

One funny thing I noticed while I was cutting out the parts from Swiss pear I was struggling to keep a strait line on the scroll saw, put a brand new Flying Dutchman #3 ultra reverse blade in, and my cutting instantly improved.

I guess they dont last forever, did the Echo and started Pegasus all on one blade at the cost of $0.39, I think I'll put a reminder up to change them more often!

Ben

I guess they dont last forever, did the Echo and started Pegasus all on one blade at the cost of $0.39, I think I'll put a reminder up to change them more often!

Ben I think we all tend to use them until they just don't cut well or most often break because they are dull and then overheat. perhaps a small label like the oil change one on the car. Blade good for x number of board feet of cutting. ;)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I would just like to say that I have joined the NRG today for the first time, I have already had communications from its members and joined its mentor/mentee program in 24 hrs!!!! Now that is a serious group that wants to help its members just like MSW!

I would highly recommend other people here to join the NRG!

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Very slight but very important progress has been made this week, the buildboard has had all the frame lines scribed into it and the acrylic frames and keel holders have been screwed on.

I used the plan to mark points at all the frame intersections with a sharp awl, the the plan was reversed to do the other side. Then the points were joined using a steel rule and a sharp exacto blade, then graphite was rubbed into the scores and then cleaned off and the surface scraped with a razor to leave a smooth surface. It took several hours but came out matching the plans really well with little deviation.

Ben

post-234-0-88775100-1396211283_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the likes.

Druxey - I think the several hours I invested in this work will pay off as you say, I just hope my skills when I start the aft/fore cants and hawse pieces can attest to it.

Ben