HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

I think, while you are correct, Michael, in saying the damp towel will expand the wood; once the humidity level returns to ambient, the wood will shrink back again. This treatment is only a temporary fix, unfortunately.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Yes the Ambient levels of humidity are the key, I had assumed a change geographically from one location to one that is temporarily low. Which likely means that unless the humidity can be kept at the same as it was when the hull was assembled in the first place, which can be an unknown unless one works in a humidity controlled environment all the time. The wood might have been assembled in a much higher humidity or the wood had not reached equilibrium before being worked into frames. The opposite danger is of course the expansion of the frames pushing against the stern and stem when encountering large changes in humidity. from say Arizona to Florida, 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

I tried the damp towel several times, yes the frames did swell back up, but within a day or so they shrank right back, even though I have humidity control now.

The wood was from Jeff at Hobbymill and was properly seasoned and stable.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments.

Ben

Hull has been split into three parts by cutting through the keel and rising wood where the biggest gaps were.

Isopropyl is now being applied to remove the entire old keel from the sections, it's length had changed by 1/8", also some frame thicknesses were checked and only the midships area shows shrinking across the grain, so I'm hoping to save the fore and aft sections.

Ben

post-234-0-40069900-1463863654_thumb.jpeg

Every cloud has a silver lining Ben. Just add a couple of frames aft and you'll have a terrific cross-section including the pumps. Two steps forward, one step back - the mantra of the plank on framer!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Amen to the manta, Greg.    I was thinking the same thing about cross-sections, etc.  It reminded me of Jeronimo's Bon Homme Richard done in 3 sections.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ben.

I'm glad to see that you may be able to correct the problem without too much trouble and have a cross section to boot. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I cross my fingers and wish you a lot of success for the repair.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 3 months later...

Hi Ben,

I'm new to the forum and just read your entire log to date. Excellent craftsmanship and results. It's really a shame about the major problem you encountered with the humidity after your move, but I'm sure with the determination you have displayed thus far you will overcome it. On a more positive note, your problem is a valuable learning point for myself and perhaps other new modelers. Luckily (or unluckily) it rains a lot all year here in Norway, so I have seldom had any significant humidity problems with my normal woodworking, but considering the very thin wood used for modeling it is certainly a potential problem to avoid, so I thank you for sharing your misfortune with us. Looking forward to a continuation of your wonderful build!

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

Thanks for looking Mike40.

I am still waiting to get into the winter months where I have control of my humidity levels to start framing again, as per Druxeys advice that he always does his framing during the winter.

Be

• 1 month later...

So back into modeling I go, here you can see some frames being removed from the fore section using an isopropyl bath just deep enough to cover a couple of frames.

post-234-0-49284800-1479931265_thumb.jpg

I don't want to hit the Like Button, because It  made me very sad what I see. There was a huge amount of work in your frameing and it must be a pain for you to make this cut.

I hope and cross all my fingers that you can restore your work.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

So all forward frames have been removed back to L aft, this is where I shall start building from as it's where the rising woods meet.

post-234-0-16395100-1479996160_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Same to you Ben. I'll be waiting impatiently for updates. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

New Keel is being drilled for its bolts on the Sherline mill using the sensitive drill attachment.

Gives nice accurate placement.

7/8" Bolts will be simulated using 24ga copper wire that will be blackened later with LOS.

Ben

post-234-0-77678900-1482337038_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the likes.

Fun was had today setting up the mill and drilling the hawse holes at the correct 10 degree angle as measured off the plans. They were only drilled out to 4" at the moment, the rest of the way will be done with a tapered reamer, but this has given the correct position and angle of the holes.

post-234-0-38050000-1482433284_thumb.jpg

Thanks Druxey,

Funny but I got up to a drill bit equivalent to 4" at scale and it started to cut a little noisy with some vibration with the angle and wood grain, so I decided to quit there and will finish with pin taper reamers by hand, I really don't want to tear out the timbers and have to remake them!!

Ben

Wise move, Ben. I had the same issue when trying to drill my hawse hawse in v.1. At least you have them properly located now and finish by hand. I had little success doing them the way David recommends in the book (adding them to each hawse timber before gluing them in place). That requires a level of precision above my pay grade!

Looking forward to next years continued progress.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752