HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

So some new frame squares are in the process of being made so as to be able to utilize the t-tracks for securing them in position, Also new fore/aft holders were constructed out of Poplar just like the squares.

While doing these small jobs the build board layout drawings were split into 3 using autocad so as be able to be printed on regular printer paper, great pains were made for accuracy and alignment of these.

Now I'm making the overhead gantry which I hope to have done in the next few days.

Happy Holidays to all on MSW.

Ben

post-234-0-12402300-1482610891_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-39126200-1482610908_thumb.jpg

Thanks David.

So the new framing squares and overhead gantry are completed.

Next job will be to do some work on the old stern section before mounting it to the new keel.

Ben

post-234-0-73501400-1482687453_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-35079900-1482687467_thumb.jpg

Nice work, Nice shop!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Sweet work on the build board, Ben.  And the shop looks great except for one small thing... no sawdust.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark,

The reason for no sawdust in view is that I now have proper dust collection systems, a dust devil and big shop vac to connect to the tools and a big Jet ceiling mounted air filter for the fine stuff, there has been some dust produced - trust me!

Ben

So before attaching the original stern section onto the new keel I made and installed the filler pieces under the transoms, three on each side had to be made.

This was completed and checked for symmetry on both sides, tricky little pieces.

Ben

post-234-0-05071300-1482774703_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-10294000-1482774746_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-70417800-1482774798_thumb.jpg

Finally the sawdust has been made! Your model gave me a lot of the inspiration, very happy to see it taking shape again! Might deserve to be renamed to "Phoenix"? ;) Should be in line with the Swan naming convention!

The building board is great! What do you use to fix the model when working upside down?

Edited by Mike Y

Thanks for all the likes.

Old stern section has been installed, and reinforced with 18ga copper wire epoxied through into the keel.

Next up will be installing the old stem section in the same fashion.

Ben

post-234-0-75208300-1482861353_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-53773600-1482861483_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-24529400-1482861497_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben, a new comer to your great log - sorry i missed this earlier and also for the initial flurry of Likes; I think you get the idea that I like what you are doing :)  I will follow more closely from here-in

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

It's looking really great. I am happy with yo that your resue of your build works so well.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks Albert and AP,

I will reveal how I'm going to continue this build tomorrow after all the saved sections from the old ship are installed.

Ben

So a small piece of rising wood has been added before the aft section for frame 10 fore to be mounted to, then the next surviving section of 8 frames will be installed.

Now I'm thinking of leaving the floor fillers around 10 fore out, this will give room for the wood to move and hopefully help avoid the issues I had on the original build. I shall repeat this every 8 frames so it will look consistent and it works out to be the correct amount for the amount frames left to complete the framing.

Ben

post-234-0-54204800-1483045237_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-99604800-1483045335_thumb.jpg

An interesting strategy: I hope this works out well for you. I suppose another possibility is to not glue one side of the spacers so that the frames 'float' with any dimensional change.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That's another idea David, I guess there are a few ways to skin this cat, I'm just gonna try this way and hope to hell it works as I cannot see myself recovering if it goes bad on me again!

Ben

So here is the last remaining saved section from the old hull installed along with a frame fore and aft which have no floor fillers.

Ben

post-234-0-76287800-1483124939_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-74197900-1483124953_thumb.jpg

Thanks David,

Everything that could be saved from the old hull is on now, everything to fill the gap has to be made new going forward. I really don't want to take the chance of using parts of the framing that were subjected to the warping that I encountered.

Ben

One of the few positives Ben is that it should go quicker having done it once already.  Looking good!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Great recovery,Ben. Druxeys suggestion of gluing the spacer to one face only makes a lot of sense. Or, just cut and fit them without glue See what sort of gaps develop over the coming months.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hey Greg,

Yeh, the more I think about druxeys idea the more I like it, if only one side of the filler is glued then it allows for some movement, and if a gap appears it could be filled with a very thin sliver of wood maybe.

I'm still going to leave a full frame gap every 8 frames as well just in case.

Ben

I decided to double check my DOF drawing against the Mylar plan for the next set of frames, everything lines up well except the aftmost timberhead and the top of the rail line is slightly higher on the Mylar. Im also cross checking on the actual NMM Pegasus side draft.

Ben

post-234-0-77128600-1483217809_thumb.jpg

Also Ben, during the framing process, spend a lot of time on the transitions between the various rails and hances. They need to level and parallel athwartships. I was not as careful as I should be while framing and placing the rails and hances later on caused me no end of problems. Using a long sanding stick athwartships certainly helped.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752