HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Hey Greg,

I have switched to doing the port sill mortices after the frames have been raised to see if I can do them any better than before. Seems to be a bit faster but no more accurate than I got before.

ben

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful progress, Ben. It's looking really good.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

Druxey - the counter timbers were from the original framing, they got knocked off during the house move 18 months ago. I will be making brand new ones but I had those old ones out to look at the shape.

ben

They're delicate little suckers. Ben. Same thing happened to me (and Toni, I believe). Second time around I glued on some battens to hopefully keep it stable until planking.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Maybe it would make sense to make them longer than needed, scribe the cutoff lines, and join together with spacers or battens above the cutoff line?

• 2 weeks later...

So the final section of eight frames has been made and installed between F and J stations.  I need to pull the hull off the build board to do the rough fairing around this new section.

Only 5 months ago since I started rebuilding the hull and it is now closed up, I had managed to save 37 frames from the original build, and I had to remake 43 frames new.

All of the new framing has a set of floor fillers missing every eight frames, and every filler is only glued to the aft or fore frame depending, so as to allow for wood movement - I don't want to get into the same issues as last time.

The workshop is undergoing a full cleaning and switch around for other work while summer is here and I have no control over the humidity. Modeling will begin again in the fall.

see you later in the year

ben

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

She's loooking great again! Hope all goes well with the new framing.

I know I shouldn't say this but I can't wait for the fall. Enjoy your summer!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice work Ben, hopefully the new gluing arrangement of the frames will prevent further issues.  I like the vast expanses of the workshop too :)  Lucky you!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice progress, Ben.  I'm sorry the humidity there is that high (and even in your basement!).  I've spent some time in Saratoga (I got married there), and am always surprised by the warm summers.  Somehow I think that if I just leave Oklahoma, the weather will be cool.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks for the comments and likes.

Chris - you are going to need a workshop this big to build that monster of a 74 you are going to tackle after the Confederacy.

ben

Very thought-through spacer and frame arrangement!

looking forward for the fall, but maybe in a meanwhile you can share other things that you do in the workshop? ;)

• 5 months later...

Hi,

So work on Pegasus we be starting again now I have humidity back to normal control, and summer projects put back to bed.

Old counter framing was broken on last house move so it has to be remade.

First order of business was to make a jig to attach to my gantry for the correct alignment and position of new side counter timbers, made out of some poplar and sized so top corners are the correct height from the keel to toptimber level, and width to correspond for correct gap 12'3" ( 3 1/16" full size ).

New side counter timbers were shaped out of 15" thick stock as per TFFM, glued into correct position on wing transom, and pinned through with 20ga copper wire / 5 min epoxy for strength.

Distance between side counter timbers at the upper counter knuckle was checked as well, pretty confident these are in the correct place.

Now to start on the filling timbers and QB light port.

ben

IMG_2071.JPG

Great to see you back at work.  Getting those counter frames correct was one of the more difficult parts of the hull construction. 

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Looks wonderful, Ben. Now get those fillers in and brace them before you snap them off with an errant elbow strike like Toni and I did!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Ben,

Welcome back and I'm both glad to see your work resume and the model surviving the summer!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what the framing in this area should look like according to the DOF plan of the Cygnet ( only swan DOF available from NMM ). I have machined some 8 inch stock down and have installed  frame backers along the toptimber line to support the new framing on both sides.

ben

IMG_2085.JPG