Trussben

HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Thanks for the reply re: treenail and plank sizing, Ben.

I am trying to better appreciate why and when various size treenails are employed.

Found a wooden ship building book dated 1919 with guidelines based on tonnage and joint location for treenails and bolts but not sure it hadn't changed from a century or two earlier.

Edited by AON
typed 1912 but it was 1919

I enjoyed reading the build blog to this point!

I'm new to wood ship modeling and am working on my first kit, the HMS Terror. Someday, I'd like to try a scratch build... not yet!

I am curious about TFFM... What does that stand for?

As I continue to learn and build a tool inventory and more importantly, confidence in my work, I would like to eventually try a build from scratch.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Edited by LyleK1

Hi Lyle,

TFFM stand for “ The fully framed model” which is a set of 4 books written by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert and they are available from Seawatch books,  who are one of the sponsors of Model ship world and you can find a link to their site on the main page.

The set of books is an excellent reference for many things in model ship building and in my opinion a must have for any serious model builder looking to move into scratch building.

ben

E8DD8225-0014-4EFA-80EB-5FBD4C9A458F.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.