HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Port side planking and treenailing has been completed, those with good eyes will be able to spot all the mistakes but overall I’m happy with how it turned out close to my planking plan.

Now on with the Main topsail sheet bitts and then the Main jeer bitts.

ben

B0AD8CCB-5486-4EEB-8F8E-6D21FC52EDD7.jpeg

35443420-7A16-42B0-BC77-C789D37B87B5.jpeg

E24E4AE8-B2FC-4955-86B0-661E6CD1637A.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi Toni,

So I had to make changes to include:-

Dual fore/aft beam arms instead of the single fore one shown in TFFM as opposed to Pegasus's NMM plans

Larger fore hatch due to my mistake following TFFM instead of NMM deck plans, movement of all ledges etc.... because of this.

adjustments to all beam widths and knee positions to suit my hull inside shape

adjustments to shape of wing transom knees to suit my hull

ben

• 2 weeks later...

Upper deck framing well underway, always a constant battle against cumulative error but that’s why I am constantly checking against my framing plan to minimize its affects, you can maybe just see the overlay that I print out on transparency film to help me do this.

ben

470EA7B3-61B0-4B2C-80AA-730A0924BBE2.jpeg

F6F5A3BB-E998-4623-A1D0-F307871737CD.jpeg

That framing looks really nice.  I am sorry if you said before but what are you using to cut all those mortise out with?  Are you getting those incredibly tight joints with a chisel/file/blade or are you one of the power people with a fancy mill?

I did the same with my Swan class model, Ben. Looks like your Mylar pattern fit better than mine. Well done!

Tony, you can make little pin pricks through the Mylar to transfer marks. It's very accurate. I also made deep pin pricks at the fore end of the pattern as registration marks to relocate the pattern each time it was removed.

50 minutes ago, stuglo said:

question from the ignorant- how do you make those transparencies? 

(PS started my "swan" today- wish me luck)

We used to sell the plans on Mylar but now they are sold by  Sea Watch Books and are printed on paper. You could have the paper deck plan copied onto Mylar at a print shop but as Druxey noted make sure they match perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...