HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

If you've never done cant frames before, don't be discouraged if you have to take more than one run at them. We all did the first (and sometimes the second) time! You'll be breaking out the isopropanol at some point with the best of us. But, with persistence, you'll win.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the vote of confidence Druxey, I shall do my best with the cant frames but I have laid in store some isopropanol anyway.

Today I managed to spend a few hours getting the keel bolts installed into the forward rising wood and aft deadwood, it was a little difficult as I don't have a mill but after drilling clearance holes for 6/32 bolts, I then ground down some 6/32 nuts, marked their position and used a small chisel to make the rebates for them. Then I used 5 min epoxy to glue the nuts in place.

Corresponding clearance holes were drilled through the buildboard and 2 inch 6/32 machine screws were cut down to correct length and then tightened up.

Almost ready to start fixing the transoms permently but one more addition to the buildboard is needed.

Ben

post-234-0-20498800-1396646269_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-18814100-1396646303_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-99535900-1396646343_thumb.jpg

Looking ship-shape and Bristol fashion, Ben. You may wish to consider shortening those bolts so that they don't project above the keel, otherwise they will be in the way of the frames later on.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the Likes everybody. :)

Druxey - already been done, after that picture I marked the bolts and trimmed them down to a perfect size, see first pic.

I have predrilled all of the transoms before fitting for pinning with bamboo treenails, I used a #65 drill bit and drew bamboo down to #35 hole in the Byrnes plate, this is not to scale but just for reinforcement purposes.

Then the 4th transom was installed and pinned, making sure that it lined up with the buildboard markings as well as the heights above the keel bottom as measured from the mylar plan. I am deviating from the TFFM description of installing the transoms which would have the wing transom installed first, I am going to install the 4th first, then the fashion pieces below it, this should give me a solid bottom reference point, then I will install the wing transom which will give me the top point, and then install the transoms in between. Hopefully this works out like I envision. ;)

Now on to the fashion pieces, they were cut out of 9" stock oversized slightly by 1/32" outside the lines, then I setup the Byrnes sander to excatly 29.5 degrees using an app on my Iphone, the angles were sanded and then the pieces refined until a perfect fit was achieved under transom 4. I drilled them ready for pinning and then glued in place using a square to make sure it was perpendicular ( the picture doesnt look like its correct but it is! ) you can see how the square matches the correct line on the buildboard.

ben.

post-234-0-35823400-1396713997_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-28079900-1396714023_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-08957800-1396715213_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-07862000-1396715261_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben,

Very well thought out an executed! Looking really nice too. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice work.  For a minute there, I thought you were sending your iPhone through the sander.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Rusty, Mark, Grant and everybody for the likes.

Mark - I know the picture looks silly, sometimes I feel like destroying my phone but I wouldn't want to damage my precious Byrnes Sander.

Anyway - the stern transoms have all been fitted and pinned in place successfully! I had left the ends of the transoms slightly overlength so I could fair them back to suit the aft cant frame which is what I'm doing now and I have started cutting aft cants 1 thru 7 out of 9" stock.

Ben

post-234-0-33328700-1396814282_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-84353200-1396814300_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben

Great looking transom Ben.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Looking very nice Ben.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Aft Cant frames 2 & 3 installed using some scrap basswood sized and shaped to fit as temporary spacers at the frame tops.

Ben

post-234-0-11175100-1397335836_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben

Thanks Andy, yeh this is the fun part tangeling with pesky cant frames that don't want to line up, had to remove one side of frame 3 as it decided to move position while the glue dried!!

Here is aft cant pair #4 installed, just need to install the temp spacers.

Ben

post-234-0-66225500-1397421566_thumb.jpg

Thanks Grant,

Yeh, it seems every frame I add I see a little more of her emerge, and your right that this little sloop sure does have nice lines, can't wait to get all the aft cants in place and fair them up.

Ben

Very nice Ben. You obviously have a great touch for this. You make it look too easy! B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Really nice framing on stern so far Ben.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hey Rusty, not sure about a great touch, I do have an great Mentor though just like you do! Your Winnie is coming along beautifully.

Thanks Patrick for always stopping by and your positive comments.

Thanks to everybody else for the likes.

No more picture updates until the first seven aft cant frames are completed, I have them all cut out and assembling this week.

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Here are the first seven aft cant frames made and installed, I've decided to carry on and make the other 6 and install them before moving forward to the bollard timbers, hawse pieces and fore cants unless someone can give me a reason not to.

Working away this next week so no progress will be made.

Ben

post-234-0-63750500-1397939898_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-94924900-1397939976_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what you're doing ---- but it looks fantastic!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I have no idea what you're doing ---- but it looks fantastic!

I do and it still looks fantastic! :D  Very nice work Ben. Keep going I say! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks for all the likes.

Thanks Grant, Augie - when you finish Confed maybe you will come over to the dark side and learn this too.

Rusty - I spoke to my Mentor and he agreed that I can finish all the aft cant frames and maybe even the last square frame 14 before moving to the front end.

Wacko - thanks for looking in, I shall post more pics when there is progress to show.

Ben

There is nothing magic about setting only the aft cant frames and then moving to the hawse timbers.  The large area of open real estate  simply makes it easier to fair the inside of the hull at the extremes.  Beautiful work.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.