HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Well back from working away, drilled and pinned all of the aft 7 cant frames to the deadwood and have started cutting out the final 6 aft cants.

Hopefully get a few hours tomorrow to start making them up.

Ben

Just a quick update, first of the next set of aft cants, no 8 and 9 have been made and installed, now making no 10 which has a 2" cast forward top timber to frame the side of the last gunport, it's being a little tricky and I had to throw 1 side away and make another as they didn't match exactly.

Hopefully be able to post pics this weekend of it installed.

Ben

Ben, the frames look great! You have enough skill at this that I'm not surprised at all that your scrap bin isn't rather large.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Looks good, Ben. You might want to check the second and third cants from aft: they look to be sitting a bit high and will give you a problem later when it comes to fairing. All they will need is a little shaved off their feet to lower them after you've broken out the isopropanol.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Ben, intresting build you have here the frames look fantastic. Great job

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Patrick, Druxey, Pete and everyone for the likes.

Druxey - I think I see what your talking about from the picture from astern, I will make some measurements from the DOF and TFFM plans to see if they are off, thanks for keeping your eyes out for me.

Ben

Thanks for taking my comments in the spirit that they were intended, Ben! That astern photo seems to indicate that they are sitting high.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Druxey,

I have absolutely no issue with people offering constructive comments on my build, I thank you again for looking.

Please take another look at the last picture looking at the inside of the frames, notice how the line of the heels is a pretty nicely curved line between all of these frames, that makes me hope that I haven't done this wrong, but I will be checking it anyway to look for an error.

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Thanks Druxey, I get what you mean.

I spoke to my NRG mentor and he also gave some good advice so.....

When I get home later this week I will measure the maximum height of breadths to see if there is an obvious issue, if there is I will reposition them.

If I don't see something obvious then i may try fairing it all in and then see if there's an issue, If there is I will remove the bad frames and remake them a little fuller in the places that were thin.

That's the plan anyway. Lol

Ben

Well just arrived home from working away, threw my bags through the door and went strait down to the workshop to look at the issues with some of my aft cant frames, Druxey hit the bullseye and my port frames 2&3 are sitting high compared to the starboard side ones!

Starboard frames do not show any problems and the height of breadths are dead on, the first pic shows the astern view of the starboard side from below, the second shows the problem port side internally and shows the frames sitting high compared to other frames.

So this weekend I will break out the isopropanol and move the frames down as suggested by Druxey.

It's great to get sage advice that saves your *** on this site, Druxey - I owe you the adult libation of your choice if we ever meet.

Ben

post-234-0-91486900-1399669328_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-88450100-1399669418_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-04917600-1399669482_thumb.jpg

Druxey = unmatched skill and eagle eyes!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Why, thank you, gentlemen. How do I know all this? I fell into that trap myself while working on my first framed model. Remember, I'd never have spotted the problem if you hadn't taken good photos of your build, Ben.

Offending spacers and then frames have been removed carefully with the aid of isoproponal, a little bit of clean up to remove old glue residue is needed and then they will be refit.

Ben

post-234-0-50997500-1399742337_thumb.jpg

After cleaning up, the foot of each frame was carefully paired down with a chisel and offered up to the model until a correct height was achieved, then glued back into place and new spacers made and added.

From the pics you can see that they are now in their correct positions and no problem fairing them in should now occur.

Now back to making the last of the aft cants and the aftmost gunport.

Ben

post-234-0-13456800-1399752393_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-99453900-1399752411_thumb.jpg

You are going to - temporarily, I hope! - hate me, Ben, but the next frame forward now appears to be out. There is something in the area of the lower breadth sweep (the convex curve coming up to the point of maximum width) that is inset too far. Check your second photo.

Thanks Druxey " rolls eyes" !

I have checked it out and I guess the camera angle makes it look worse than it is as it measures just 1mm under the depth of the other frame, that should fair out no problem don't you think??

Ben

1mm? You might or might not want to take a chance on it, Ben. These little things have a way of producing a domino effect. I'll shut up now.

Edited by druxey

Thanks Alan, Druxey and all the likes.

First pic shows all aft framing up to and including the first square frame 14 aft.

Gunport sills and lintels were made of 5" stock Tennoned into the frames, took a few attempts to get these a good fit.

Second pic shows one method I use to apply iso for debonding glued in temp spacers, after the earbuds are soaked in ISO they are positioned and covered in cling film to stop it evaporating, after an hour the spacers will pop out.

Last pic shows how messy the work area has become, it shall be cleaned before any more work is done but also gives an idea of my progress to date.

I think I will fair in the inside aft framing before moving forward to start making the bollard and hawse timbers.

Ben

post-234-0-93116300-1400444314_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-76108800-1400444331_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-90688200-1400444351_thumb.jpg

Ben

Are you going to add all the ports as you make and install the frames?  I know there are those that do this and do it well.    Heck, I have a hard time making them lie in the correct and fair line when marking and cutting them in a finished framed hull.   Cutting the notches in the frames for the  ledges and lintels  is far easier when  doing so off the model, but alignment, for me at least, is not at all likely.

Overall though, it is coming along very well.  I wish the "net" had been around when I did my first few scratch builts and could get the mentoring available at MSW. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Looking very good, Ben.  And as for the "messy workarea"... HAH.. that's not what most of us would call "messy". 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ben, the framing and gunport looks great! I have to agree with Andy, about what you're calling messy. I intentionally clean my work area before snapping pictures, in fact.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne