HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Looking very good, Ben.  And as for the "messy workarea"... HAH.. that's not what most of us would call "messy".

Gotta agree with Mark on this one Ben. That looks like my work area AFTER I've cleaned it up.

Hi Allan - My plan was to add the ports as I go along ( same way described in TFFM and how Danny did it ), on my Echo I did them afterwards and I had issues getting good joints by fileing the birdsmouths in. Cutting them off the model with a sharp chisel sure does make nicer and tighter joints but I hear what your saying about getting a better run of the ports by doing later, I feel that the aft port is in the right place compared to plans, measured lots of times.

I will have to think about these pros and cons. :huh: ( aka - about to send yet another e-mail to my Mentor! ).

Thanks everybody else for making me think that maybe I'm not as messy as the Admiral would lead me to believe. :P

The long dreaded bollard timbers are next - I can see a few do-overs in my future with these buggers.

ben

Hi Ben, very nice workmanship! Hey if you can get it to work cutting notches off the model then well done. Me I

had to do them afterwards to get them straight. Good luck on the bollard timbers! I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty, This was the first time I have ever tried to do these notches off the model, seems to have gone ok this time, we will see what happens when it comes to the bridal port which will be the next one I make.

ben

From personal experience, I find it far easier to cut the sill scores before erecting the frames. The drawback is that one needs to be exceedingly accurate in the positioning of the frames vertically. If 'off', it will throw the line of the ports out of whack.

The reasonable compromise is to temporarily erect the frames, mark the sill line out, take the frames off and then cut the scores to the mark-out. After permanent re-assembly everything should line up perfectly.

Small silly point: bridle is the word for the foremost port, as in horse's bridle. Not bridal, as for something belonging to a principal player in the cast of a wedding!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Druxey,

The compromise you mention is exactly the path I intend to follow, seems to have worked ok on the port I have done.

As for the miss spelling of "bridle" , I apologise from one English born man to another, unfortunately the spell check on my iPhone is American and auto corrects my queens English lol.

Ben

I cut the sills for the gun ports on Atalanta after all of the frames were erected for fear of having the ports out of alignment.  And overall I am happy with the results.  I was also lucky enough to attend David's and Greg's Echo symposium after the framing was completed.  David showed my how to make the perfect birds-mouth and it looks a lot more refined than my approach.  The next model will be made as Druxey suggested.  The frames that require gun and/or oar ports will me mounted temporarily and the notches cut off the model once all the frames have been erected.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks for the input Toni.

Started on the parts I have feared most up to now, bollard and hawse timbers, pics show what is my first attempt. On advice from my Mentor I will make and temp install the first cant as that is a good reference to use for the angles.

I may well make V2.0 to see if I can get a better fit.

Ben

post-234-0-19677100-1400970155_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-59010000-1400970179_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-54645800-1400970192_thumb.jpg

Hi Allan,

The workbench and vise are from harbor freight, $140 !!

No plane was used, the bollard was cut out of 12" stock and then just a very sharp chisel was used to shape it.

Ben

Looking great there Ben!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks Patrick and Michael and all the likes.

Michael, there is a harbor freight by Dayton mall on Lyons road, they normally have the benches in stock, look out for coupons on their website, I got the bench for $140 on sale.

There are some good write ups on this site under the tools section stating all of its pros/cons, but for $140 you can't beat it IMO.

Ben

Temporary installation of forward can't frame commences, I'm finding it difficult to get all angles to match and breadth heights to match, this is the third attempt.

Ben

post-234-0-71469300-1401403699_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-31734500-1401403709_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-57509000-1401403718_thumb.jpg

You'll need one extra hand, three more temporary supports and a couple extra tall shots of Canadian Club Classic to get this done!

All joking aside, it must feel great when something so difficult finally comes together!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I don't think anyone gets this right the first - or even second - time around. Eventually you will nail it, Ben. 

I find that a heavy card square set up on the board aligned with the layout helps a lot.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

As the ever-knowledgeable Druxey suggests, something like this setup works. I use thin ply set up at 90 degrees to the building board (wood triangles glued on back) and a steel square. Place the bottom edge of the wooden angle jig (or card) on the face of the line delineating the fore face of the cant and use the steel square to set the height of breadth. This gives you two points of contact to hold the cant while spot gluing in place. Once it's set you might even drill for the treenails. This way you can easily re-position it later on.

post-505-0-35715300-1401411813_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Once again a picture is worth one thousand words!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Hang in there buddy!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That's a very handy tip and your photo Ben, makes it that much clearer for those of us who are "spatially challenged"! :)

Atta Boy Ben!

Druxey convinced me to try stiff card stock and illustration board a long time ago.  It is cheap and easy to cut into pieces and make into a variety of jig fixtures.  Ply works as well of course, but more costly and needs more than scissors to cut.  Then again, plywood is likely to last longer for future use. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Card, ply; it doesn't matter which material the square is made from. The important thing is that it's not made of metal, so that if it falls over on the model it won't damage it.

Hi and thanks for all the likes and tips, got home this afternoon after being away all week and went down to the workshop And made up two plywood squares as per all the advice, they are currently drying and it will be using them tomorrow to try and set up the cants for the 4th time, hopefully they will help a lot.

Ben

So here are my framing squares completed, I decided to add pins to the back so I can secure it in position to the build board without fear of losing it's place, now they can be repositioned back in the exact same place.

I then held them up to the plan and marked the horizontal lines of the breadth lines, then they were fitted back to board and the vertical line of the breadth line was marked up to intersect with the horizontal lines, this gives me a perfect crosshair target of where the frame should be.

Ben

post-234-0-74415600-1401550406_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-46430500-1401551272_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-32092400-1401551287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben

Looks Good Ben

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete and all the likes.

Also started rough fairing of the aft internal framing. Pics are before and after.

Ben

post-234-0-38519000-1401572860_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-73598900-1401572873_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben