HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Nice Ben! That simple jig really is a great solution to a tricky problem. Thanks for showing us the detail of both it's construction and use.

Hey Grant,

I'm just going off the master builders advice, but as soon as I drew the crosshairs of the breadth lines on it I knew it would work much better than what I was doing before! ( not sure if I just came up with the crosshair thing in my own mind but it works for me ).

Thank god that they are free with their advice on MSW!

Ben

Thanks Druxey, the pins seemed like a good idea at the time instead of using tape to keep them in place.

More work was done to the bollard timbers, the 3/4" air space was marked and the waste chiseled out and then refined with sanding sticks.

Also the knightheads were carved in using a small chisel point exacto blade and some needle files. Next step will be to reattach them temporally to mark the bowsprit curves to be sanded into them and mark for and make the bowsprit chock.

Going to be working away for pretty much 2 weeks so progress will come to a halt.

Ben

post-234-0-75551200-1402258609_thumb.jpg

Have a safe trip and hurry home !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hopefully you'll have a good trip, Ben.  Will you be taking any small parts to fiddle with when not working?  :rolleyes:   I had to ask.. I've done it myself.  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those bollard timbers look very nice Ben. Have a safe trip, we'll keep a stern light on for you. :)

Hi Ben, I just got caught up and you seem to be making some nice progress and learning a lot too.

Very nice work. Have a safe one and I'll impatiently await your return. :P  :)  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Those Knightheads look good Ben.

Take your time with the bollard timbers, they will challenge you even more from here on. But then again you have a fine mentor looking over your shoulders and he'll guide you past the pitfalls on this part of your journey.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hi and thanks for all the likes :)

I will be working up in PA for several days and then to Niagara NY before finally getting home on the 20th I hope. :P

Mark - Im thinking about taking a few pieces with me, just not sure what yet, maybe a couple of cant frames to assemble but I would

need to do it all with hand tools.

Remco - I agree, the bowsprit chock looks like its going to be a lot of fun to make! :huh:  and yes it is good to have a mentor

to keep his eyes on what I'am doing.

ben

Have a great trip Ben,and as it is for work Have fun, ( to me Life is about having fun and doing what you enjoy )

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Back home for 2 weeks so progress on Pegasus will continue.

Well the tricky bollard timbers have been completed and installed, making the notches for the bowsprit chock was fun, also the first cant frames have now been properly installed in preparation for the hawse timbers.

And a small matter of the bowsprit chock!

Ben

post-234-0-33494000-1403384623_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-29870100-1403384652_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-65498400-1403384665_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-22424200-1403384720_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-29847900-1403384755_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-40899400-1403384768_thumb.jpg

Welcome back Ben.

A great set of pics. Great work on getting the bollards carved and set up. Those supports you built to get the angles right seem to be working a treat.

Regards

Alan

PS Just ordered 6 dozen of those reverse blades you suggested. Thanks.

Looks Great Ben

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Really nice work Ben.  I have the TFFM series, and while I don't plan on scratching a Swan class in the near future as I have the Pegasus kit, it's a real treat watching you execute the scratch build.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I continue to work on the Hawse timbers, but the pieces you see will end up in the scrap bin and be redone, I decided to just keep practicing with them so when I do make the real ones they should be much better.

Hope to get it completed by next weekend.

Ben

post-234-0-61874700-1404072600_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben, I agree with Grant. It seems you are grasping the the difficult Hawse timbers very well.

I also like how you are not rushing and not stettling for good enough. Nice job! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looking very good, Ben. As long as you're using those as practice pieces I'd recommend a test go at the hawse holes too. They can be very challenging and you only get one shot at them!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the starboard side hawse timbers finally completed, they are V3.0, versions 1 and 2 didn't make the mark but were good for practice, I finally found a way that gives decent results so the port side shouldn't take too long, they are only partially faired inside and out and left a little oversized as a precaution.

Working away all week so maybe get it done next weekend.

Ben

post-234-0-23491400-1405888435_thumb.jpg

Thanks Druxey,

I would say to this point in the build, these have been the hardest things to make, I thought the transoms were bad but these have really tested my patience, time and faith!

Ben

If you succeed in getting past these and the cant frames, the rest of the model will be comparatively easy! I know of no-one who has nailed these pieces the first or second time over. You are in good company.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv