HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

They look great.  It took me a few tries as well before I was happy with the results.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Well done, Ben. I see you decided to ignore Druxey's advice and execute the hawse holes afterwards (as I have). Please mark them out carefully and triple. check their positions. There's a bit of an optical illusion from the side but the outer one is slightly lower from the bow view. Start with a very small hole and gradually expand them with Swiss files. I purchased one that was the exact diameter of the hawse holes to avoid ellipsing them.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hey Greg,

The fate of Version 2 was decided by trying to do the hawse holes before hand, it didnt go to well so I decided to

do them afterwards, start with small drill and gradually increase size with file/reamer.

I really hope to get to that point over this weekend.

ben

• 2 weeks later...

Well not much work has been done in the last few weeks, I decided I needed a break as I was getting frustrated with the hawse timbers, while working on the portside and taking them in and out, the temporary glue holding them in place, well I guess I didn't let the ISO soak in long enough, and when I pulled them back out it damaged the first cant frame, see picture.

After having this breather I have removed the cant and have made another.

Then I will complete the hawse timbers and move on again.

Ben

post-234-0-34885500-1407093830_thumb.jpg

Sometimes it's wise to walk away for a while Ben. Glad to see you're back to it though. :)

Yup. Take a deep breath, chalk it up to experience, and go at it fresh on another day. We've all been there at one time or many others!

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Good on you for the break.  It's often needed when frustration sets in.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all the likes, comments and support.

Yippee! Managed to complete the hawse timbers after the damaged can't frame 1 was replaced, obviously I need to mark and drill the hawse holes as well as make the bowsprit chock but pretty happy to of finally got to this point.

I have also been making up the rest of the cant frames in readiness.

And I have even spent quite a bit of time working on the Indy plans.

Ben

post-234-0-85527300-1407616651_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-81865600-1407616670_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-80697500-1407616689_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-02902200-1407616706_thumb.jpg

Ahoy Ben :D 

I have always found inspiration in your logs. This one however takes the biscuit. Simply amazing 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Really good stuff there, Ben.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the comments and likes.

Managed to temporarily fix in place cants 3 thru 5 on both sides and mark up for the narrow bridle port, came out at the correct dimension of 1'9" wide which gives me a good feeling on the cant frame positions. The frames will now be pulled back out and the scores for the sills/lintels will be cut in.

Also I marked and drilled #65 pilot holes for the Hawse holes.

Ben

post-234-0-31891700-1407701074_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-60450200-1407701092_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-60786900-1407701107_thumb.jpg

Looks very good, Ben, but the hawse holes should not be level. They follow the sheer as the wale comes around the bow. This means that the inner ones are higher (or the outer ones lower). Please check this before you commit to drilling!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Having the cant frames in finally has to make you feel good.  It seems from the forums/logs etc that this was one of the more difficult steps in the build. 

Thanks Michael.

The bridle ports sills/lintels have been completed and the temp spacers removed, just need to re add the toptimbers above the port.

Ben

post-234-0-48788200-1408136213_thumb.jpg