Worst Victory ever?

Patrick Haw

Is this the absolute worst model of the Victory ever? The nerve of these people asking almost $2,200 for this thing. There is so much wrong with this slab of wood that it's almost impossible to begin. I'd give them $2.00 for it for firewood.

LINK

Patrick

The people buying those things don't really care or know, all they want is a display piece. Only problem I see is there are no disclaimers about historical accuracy that is obvious but I bet they are there someplace. They fill a nitch or they wouldn't be in business.

jud

wow what next i would have a corel kit 850.00  but not for that price lol that just overkill

Oh, I don't know. It's erm, erm,  – 58" long! :)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

It is easy to criticize something like this. As mentioned the people who buy this sort of thing are as has been stated likely just buying a piece of "decoration" As "offensive" this might be to some, think about the implications for the "craftsmen" who are making this stuff. (How different is this from the rather garish decorations that adorn a great number of houses every Christmas, the fake trees that can cost up to a thousand dollars? ) for them it is a way to put bread on the table, to feed themselves or family, some of them might even enjoy doing this work. I would imagine that it beats sitting on an assembly line installing "x" in an I phone or some other piece of disposable electronic junk (think again of all the stuff filling the toy shelves every Christmas).

I would not be too quick to be so judgmental of these things, just my two cents worth, and for those who are engaged in the production of this stuff they probably need the two cents more than I do.

Happy new year to all.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I agree, Mike. I used to live in the Philippines and ship models were amonth their exports. Unfortunately, the "craftsmen" who made them were paid extremely poorly and were exploited just like workers in other third world countries. Stil...it did put food on their table.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

These things have a place in the market,the people who make them are feeding the families,I would be interested to know the mark up though.Regarding the price,ask yourself how much an exemplary model of Victory would cost,then compare it with the what they are asking.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I do wonder how much of the $2,200 the craftsmen actually get. A fraction I am sure.

Has anyone ever worked out what the labour cost of building a decent Victory if you had to live off the income. Something tells me it would be way more than $2,000

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

These things have a place in the market,the people who make them are feeding the families,I would be interested to know the mark up though.Regarding the price,ask yourself how much an exemplary model of Victory would cost,then compare it with the what they are asking.

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel, exactly what I was thinking when our posts crossed

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

I have to say that I get a chuckle from the sailing/selling terms used Ebay (how many nautical terms can I get in the description?) . . .

mYU6g7enj3Kfhv_K0oK_7rw.jpg

Does anybody remember the Franklin Mint? A co-worker bought a finished model of the Cutty Sark from them in the 1980's. He paid $1000.00 for a finished model because "it's going to be worth a lot more one day". It wasn't a bad model, but it wasn't worth 1000.00.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I thought I'd post a new contender for this title:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-M-S-VICTORY-WOODEN-MODEL-SHIP-SAILING-BOAT-85CM-/221025310546?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item3376229752

Their description put a big grin on my face: "From figurehead to stern, all details on the model exactly replicate the original, giving a museum quality of detail"

I wonder where all her guns went and what figurehead are they talking about?  :P

I'd hate to think what would happen to Admiral Nelson if he faced the combined French-Spanish Fleet in this HMS Victory  :wacko:

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi,

So named Victory ???? :10_1_10:

This kind of model is not even funny he is terrible.
To call this creature model is insult to all of us hard working model makers.

This type of activity should be subject to severe punishment :pirate41:

Tadeusz

My models:

From kits

Vasa, HMS Victory, Le Solei Royale, Friesland

From scratch

HMS Warrior 1860, Esplanade, Grosse Yacht

Norman’s ship, HMS Speedy, La Royale

Peter von Danzig

Polacca XVII cent.

Current project:

SS Savannah 1818

post-8878-0-96760500-1416061119_thumb.jpg

post-8878-0-27568100-1416061131_thumb.jpg

post-8878-0-80337600-1416061139_thumb.jpg

post-8878-0-30785600-1416061148_thumb.jpg

But Aldo, there's still 9 left to sell.  I noted that he/she sold one of them.  :)

For a good laugh, go look at the Constitution and Cutty Sark they're selling.  Looks like the same model with a different paint job.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I see what you mean Mark, in all fairness, I think I can forgive their "Catty Sark" since its name is different, must be a different ship :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catty-Sark-Model-Boat-52CM-/221008637516

Ronald, as you have surmised, these are not kits, but are pre-built "museum quality models", well at least that's what their manufacturer claims them to be ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

They are built by a bunch of Chinese workers working on the floor and finishing several per day.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

They are built by a bunch of Chinese workers working on the floor and finishing several per day.

I think that which company depends on the company.  The owner of AL who now does this, is located in Vietnam...  but again, the floor and several a day.  China has become too pricey for these guys.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Years ago I was lucky enough to attend the last WSMC  I passed a vendors table with several nice looking models on display.  When I took a closer look they looked wrong.  One of the attendees asked me what is wrong and I told him.  He said that they were China and were showing off some models they build.  When I told him what I thought he informed that my suspicion was correct.  The Victory, Flying Cloud. Wasa. and several others.  Same basic model just a different coat of paint.  He told me that they were not looking at us as customers.  But for those people who want something nice to talk about and do not wish to break the bank.  

David B

Offended we might be as builders of model ships.

A market there might be, but time will tell if these sell.

I think most of us build these ships(accurately) for our own pleasure.

So I can see the objection. but its the enjoyment of building that is Important.

Happy modelling folks. :cheers:

foxy :piratebo5: