34ft Danish Cutter by adamdt

This is my first time posting here.  I am currently working on a model of the Harvey that my Grandfather started many years ago but died before he could finish.  He was a very talented engineer who wanted to build it scratch. So, he bought the kit and only left the store with the plans. Soon afterwards they discontinued production.  Luckily I was able to find a kit on e-bay which gives me some hope of finishing it.

As an avid sailor, I have my own sailboat but due to career implications I am forced to sell.  So, I have decided that I will attempt to build a model of her. My way of keeping a piece of the little ship that will forever haunt me.  However, no plans exist so I have had to take hundreds of measurements and draw up my own plans.  This will clearly take a long time, probably many years.  The photos here are the begining of the plans and a photo of the boat (not a very good one unfortunatly, my disk with the good photos is packed away).

post-5984-0-52496500-1388942670_thumb.jpg

post-5984-0-40763000-1388942776_thumb.jpg

As John said, “She’ll make a fine model”.  I’ll be glad to wait while you get the measurements.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I'm so happy you decided to build this! It's such a beautiful boat, I'm delighted to get the chance to follow your progress. I have been waiting 

for someone to give the cutter a try :)

9jlqfm.jpg
Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” 

Jakob

Your drafting looks good, Adam. I'm sorry that you need to sell the real boat, but that is a terrific way to 'keep' her, in a sense. She will make a beautiful model, and her upkeep will be much less expensive than the full-sized thing!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 1 month later...

Work has taken up most of my time lately but I have had a change to get a start on the hull profile.  It is still very rough and missing detail but at least there has been some progress.  Over the next few days I hope to get this drawing finished.  The cabins seem a little large.  This is because they have a curve to them and are higher in the centre.  That isn't very clear in profile unfortunatly.  post-5984-0-14789900-1394332232_thumb.jpg

Edited by adamdt

Adamdt your drawings look good, I will follow along.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Progress continues.  My drafting skills leave something to be desired. Freehand curved lines are tough, even harder to keep parallel.  I think the half breadth will be the hardest of the drawings.  Not really sure how I am going to approach that but that is far off in the future.  I think I may start the standing rigging drawing next, followed by running rigging, then sail plan.  post-5984-0-82880600-1394409695_thumb.jpg

You really have taken on an amazing project - I'm especially impressed with your renderings to date. If my freehand skills were just 10% of yours I'd be a happy man indeed...

Out of interest do you know much about the history of your yacht? She appears to have a bit of a Colin Archer look about her. 'Tis always sad to give up a beautiful yacht owing to time pressures - could you not just lay her up in a worm free mud birth?

Keep up the great work,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

This looks like a great project, very nice work.  If you want to save a lot of time, I might suggest a basic set of ship's curves like these:

http://www.usartsupply.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=CTH+SC-66&gclid=CMmHu4-njb0CFQ2hOgod6CoAdw

Or you could go "old school" and use a long, narrow strip of wood, plot points where you need the curve and run the wood through the points, holding it down with some desk weights. I believe Michael Mott made a beautiful set of these, referred to as "ducks" (as in--"ducks in a row"), but bench blocks or small cans filled w/ fishing sinkers will do in a pinch.

If you haven't done so already, getting all of your measurements into an Excel spreadsheet will also be an immense time-saver down the road, especially when doing station offsets.

She does have some aspects in common with Colin Archer boats.  Narhval's lines are based on Danish work/fishing vessels of the late 1800s, so the similarities make sense.  Narhval was built in 1958 in Copenhagen.  The builder built primarily fishing boat and decided to try his hand at pleasure boats.  He built 2, didn't make enough money and stopped there.  Now, only one remains.  She sailed around the world in the 70's.  I have been in touch with one of the crew from that voyage and he sent me some photos in the South Pacific.  After that she was liad up in Hawaii for a while where the previous owners bought her.  After a 12 year rebuild between 1985-92 they sailed her extensivly in the Pacific Northwest until 3 years ago when I purchased her.  Hull speed of 6.5kts and slow to come about, however, she handles a good breeze and sea with ease and can hold a course with the helm lashed down.  Beautiful boat to have the privlidge of sailing. 

• 2 years later...

Welcome back, Adam! I've just come across your log. Those are pretty impressive freehand curves but, as someone else mentioned, a flexible curve may ease your job.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking good Adam. Too bad you had to sell her. This model will be a suitable memorial to her memory. Did I tell you I have plans for my 1:1 ratio schooner now? They arrived in the mail this week. I can't spend enough time poring over them lately. Kathy's going to divorce me if I don't spend more time with her than these drawing soon. 

Cheers.

• 4 years later...