HMS Victory by Shipyard sid - FINISHED - Caldercraft

Hi David,

Can you post a pix of the part of the tool that holds the wood in place? I want to make one for my own Victory build.

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

post-545-0-16843400-1366983892_thumb.jpgHi Mort..

I'd like to post a picure of the tool I made for lining the gun ports but I haven't figured out how to attach a picture yet.  Can you help me?

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Thanks, perfect. I appreciate it.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

David, just wanted to let you now that I finished the balsa seating for the gunport lining.  I plan to fill and sand a litle bit more of the hull from the top of the first wale to bottom of the third wale which I will then paint yellow ochre.  It's a real dull color but that's what I was sent by Cornwall.  After that I will fit the prepainted gun port lining.  Hope you are well and enjoying your weekend.  Jerry

Jerry

Wow!!! You are really moving on. Got to agree with on the yellow, it's awfull. It woul be nice to see a photo or two of your ship as it is now. It would help. Ok away you go on your linings. Well done.. DAVID .......... don't forget set the linings 1mm back as per instructions.

Edited by Shipyard sid

the yellow deepens in colour the more coats put on, most of my build now has 3 coats with a light sanding in-between  personally i quite like the colour, but have been looking at it longer than most - lol

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin..That's good to know.  I plan to use three coats also.  Thanks for the info. David suggested I post some pictures of my boat at its present state and I will do that a little later today.  I appreciate everyone's interest in my situation.  Thanks to you all.....Jerry

lol - everyone has a present state

will be nice to see another Victory build on here, after all the more the merrier

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Jerry

Have you started your build log yet. If you start it now explaining your build, you can then post the photos on it and we can watch you progress, other wise you will not be creating a log for yourself. Anything you post on it will build up your log. See how it goes, Hope things are coming on well DAVID

OK, OK, I'm convinced!  I'm working on organizing my build-log and hope to begin posting it soon.  I appreciate everyone's encouragement and hope my effort is not disappointing.  Now I need to figure out how to do it.  Jerry

Greeting all

Firstly thanks to you all for your comments and for viewing . Well here's a quick update. What I have done over the past few days is add all the starboard channels and chainplates, plus the brass profile on the hull and main entrance and the chess trees. I fitted the handles on all the buckets but they looked rubbish so they need redoing later. I am at the moment fitting the hinges eyelets and scuttles to all the starboard gunport lids which is pretty easy but boring. I used my little jiggy thing which makes life easy, it looks rubbish but does the job. I have posted a couple of photos of it to show how simple it is. There is a 1mm recess on the backstop to enable the hinge to be set forward. The paint work is once again tidied up and I have fitted the chain to the rudder, and added thread to the two rear gunports. I fitted the chain in the same fashion as Gil Middleton, with a double loop. It looks ok but if I want to change my mind it will be simple to remove, and I have some spare chain. That's it for now. I have posted a few photos, but as I said earlier its all becoming much of a muchness.

I shall return with all my hinges fitted and guns in position in about a weeks time, then it's boomkins and the final work in that area. Here's some photos for you. Thanks again DAVID

post-96-0-75454400-1367617358_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-05924100-1367617388_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-14211300-1367617512_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-08548400-1367617662_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-01887400-1367618061_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-90795200-1367618114_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-96422800-1367618814_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-33835900-1367619021_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-76564000-1367619051_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-13390800-1367619084_thumb.jpg

Very nice David. It may seem all much of a muchness to you, but from here it looks like significant progress very well executed. Keep up the great work. :)

Edited by gjdale

Canoe21

Will you be starting a build log, we are always looking for more Victory builds

all the best 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Muggebigge

The brass profile comes with the kit,there should be 6 lengths. Look at manual 3. Part numbers 692, 693, and 694. They are all 1 mtre long. If you have not got them in your kit, Email or phone caldercraft / jotika and tell them. They will send you them. DAVID

Greetings

Thanks to you all for your comments and encouragement. I have all but finished the gunport lids. I have only the bottom 15 to fit and that it. I need a few eyelets for them, and they arrive tomorrow so all will be finished tomorrow night. So after tidying up the paintwork and any other bits and bobs I will turn my attention to the bows and see what is going on down there. Anyway once again I am happy with things, and here's a few photos chaps. The first one shows all the gunport lids for one side that you fellow builders will soon be enjoying!!!!! Hello there Yon!! ...thanks for viewing DAVID

post-96-0-52618100-1368395205_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-83679800-1368395255_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-58459400-1368395287_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-46640500-1368395321_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-30761600-1368395366_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-68811200-1368395408_thumb.jpg

Hi David

Well that's a lot of lids to look forward to ! Looks like you've done a great job - I imagine getting the angle consistent and the rope tight is a bit of a challenge. I'm doing fire buckets and anything else I can think of to put this off for a bit.

Keep up the good work !

Yon

Cheers yon.

I set the lids by eye, they are not perfect, but not bad. You will find the fitting and rigging of them is pretty easy, the awkward bit is the small eyelets and the use of CA with the ammount to be fitted, I think it will be do a few then walk away for a while. Thanks again yon. DAVID

Greetings all

Well once again thanks for all your replies. I have come to a standstill on my gunports as alas I am short of eyelets for the lower gunport lids. I only need 30, which Derek forwarded to me, but sadly royal snail failed to deliver, and they are also out of stock at CMB. Do any of you chaps know any other company who stock caldercraft spares, I have used one before but cannot remember who it was. CMB told me they would have them in stock next Thursday. So the much of a muchness photos show the starboard side only short of its lower gunport lids and canons, which will complete the hull work. To fill in time I thought I would have a shot at making the bowsprit and the boomkins . I used a david plane and sandpaper and found it pretty easy, but appreciate they are the simplest. After looking at this jiboom and flying broomstick stuff I realized this is we're I was going to need a lot of help from somewhere and also you chaps, Please!!! One thing that is going to be a great help is...The anatomy of Nelson's ships by C Neplean Longbridge which has approx 120 pages on the subject of rigging the Victory. The last photo shows one of the fold out drawings showing the rigging of one mast, and I think the detailing is excellent. Enough promotion, here's a few photos. Hopefully these will be the final photos of my hull. Here we go. Thanks for viewing . DAVID

post-96-0-72140000-1368825477_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-00627300-1368825650_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-51768700-1368825683_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-65748700-1368825742_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-87273800-1368825810_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-70968200-1368825872_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-91449000-1368826244_thumb.jpg

David

Try 'The Model Dockyard' they have them is stock.

Here is a link http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Caldercraft_Period_Eyepins.html

Dave

Currently building CC HMS Victory (6 years and counting)

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

Hi David,  I'm just getting around to catching up on your log.  Those stern views are beautiful.  I also notice what a great job you've been doing in helping others over the rough spots. I think that is what makes MSW such a great site.  Great work.  It's fun to see the progress. Cheers. Gil 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72