New Bedford Whaleboat by Senior ole salt - FINISHED - Model Shipways

I started this model about three weeks ago. So far not many problems as the book provided with the kit was very helpful. I'm ready to paint and have applied a sanding sealer. I'd like to know if acrylics are OK to use for the model.

Here is what it looks like so far:

post-9806-0-51448400-1388971499_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any info.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Looks good so far SOS.  Built this model a couple of years ago. Great little model, lots of details. I used the paints that came with the kit.

They are acrylics. I found a book that goes into great detail regarding the whaleboat. It is titled: "The Whaleboat, a study of design, construction and use, from 1850 - 1970, by Willits D. Ansel.  There are three great museums in the area also that have original whaleboats on display: Newbedford Whaling Museum, Mystic Seaport and Nantucket Whaling Museum. All great places to go. One more book is Melvilles "Moby Dick". Melville discusses in great length The roll of the whaleboat and it's crew on a whaling ship.  Enjoy the build.

Scoot

Edited by Scoot

Scoot.  Yes good books I got em and am reading a little at a time.

Thanks

S.os

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

I'm making slow progress so far and below are tow images of the ends. I found that the dowel supplied with the kit for the Loggerhead too short to work with and had to get a longer length to enable me to shape it.

( not showing in pix)

post-9806-0-78714900-1389393118_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-84885500-1389393626_thumb.jpg

Thanks for viewing 

S.os

PS. I haven't applied paint yet but the parts showing above are not glued down.

Edited by Senior ole salt

Thanks

S.O.S.

I'm making good progress. Still a lot of little details to make plus some more oars.

The thwarts shown are just some scrap to get an idea how they will look.

post-9806-0-11184400-1389817648_thumb.jpg

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hey there ole salt, my kit did not have the book in it, so while I waited for a new book I ordered (about a month) to come in I scratch built the crane and davit in the plans provided in the kit, it fit the whale boat perfectly. Do you have plans to build the crane for your boat also? I did not make a build log for mine, not many do. All I did was place it in the finished gallery. Anyways your boat looks excellent!!!

Lieutenant. 

My kit did not contain plans for the crane but the book was most helpful. I don't intend to make a crane but will carve, steal or otherwise acquire a scaled cat stalking a rat which will also be in the finished model.

For me a fun way for an observer to get an idea of scale.

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

Sos.  In the Model Shipways kit I received, there were four pages of prints. One of them showed a front and side view of the bulwark/crane/davit. There were no instructions for building it, and I had to really study the prints to see how everything was put together. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Scoot

post-310-0-70848100-1389921156_thumb.jpg

Scoot, If you  google Models of the New Bedford whale boats, a lot of pix come up. My kit just had 4 pages of plans for the boat.I  wonder just what boat plan present day kits omit ?  My kit was scant on oar locks, so I have to make my own. I also found the wood and moulds for the line tubs are over sized and will not fit in place. So thats another item to make from scratch.

Good luck with your kit and if you get puzzled at times I'll be glad to chime up.

S.os

PS this site is also helpful : 

http://www.whalingmuseum.org/programs/beetle-whaleboat-project

as it shows many pix of the real thing . It's close to the plans furnished in the kit.In fact I modified some the items in the Beetle site to the model build.

Edited by Senior ole salt

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hey there senior, the kit should have six sheets of instructions, six separate sheets or either three with instructions on both sides. If you like I can send you a complete set (no cost) , I have two complete sets which I will no longer need. The sheet with the davit/cranes has the sail measurements also and may help if you plan on showing it raised on your build. Anyway let me know I'll be glad to help.

Thanks Great Galleons.

The crane plan would be a nice alternative. 

How do we exchange mailing info ?

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

This weekend, I hit the model with some paint. I was very hesitant as I wasn't sure just what scheme course to take. The thwarts are just temporary as before . I still have to make the thwart knees and rudder hardware as well as the brackets that hold on the steering oar and numerous other details just to the hull alone not mention all the gear carried aboard these unique craft. I intend to weather the model some and an attempt is made with some rust stains on the fwd.Stb. bow.

post-9806-0-77383900-1390227673_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-07460800-1390227831_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-98254400-1390227872_thumb.jpg

Any weathering tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

For weathering you can do what is called the dry brush method but practice first.  Up at Manitowoc I have seen many a weathering job with this method.  But the biggest secret to success is less is more.

David B

Love the color choices S.os.! For a master class in artful weathering, you should check out Nazgul's (Matti's) build log of the Wasan. Matti's results are magical.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I got all the thwarts installed. I also took the liberty to depart from the plans furnished in the kit.

With the C.W. Morgan undergoing major repairs there are many independent boat builders  furnishing new whale boats for the bark. Like many boats the whale boat isn't a "cookie cutter" craft.

With this in mind and using one of the whale boat sites ( Beetle)a building on the internet I decided to use a different version of the steering oar brace. It looked more substantial then the one shown on the Erik Ronnberg pattern. One problem I had was the size to make it. After making two of different sizes I settled on the one shown in the images.

Also in the kit is no provision for a mast and spar rest after the sail gear is lowered. This U shaped chock is located on the stern just to the stb. side of the loggerhead.

post-9806-0-04564800-1390955148_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-65073900-1390955225_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-43196500-1390955294_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-63498300-1390955323_thumb.jpg

Most of the boat itself is finished. Now all I have to do is construct , improvise and install all the various whale hunting craft. A kit in it self.

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

Your whaleboat looks fantastic. The colors are perfect and in you last set of pictures it looks like it is sitting dockside waiting to be loaded onto the ship. I have this kit in the closet but have been afraid to start it without enough experience under my belt. I look forward to seeing the equipment being built. Your project is an inspiration.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

SoS.  Model looks fine. Boat fittings look authentic.  If I am correct, whaleboats came from the boat builder pretty much stripped. Hull may have been primed but I believe 

most fittings and paint was done to whaleship owners, and boatsteerers specs. Many variations on types of fittings.  Yours look great. Whalecraft is a lot of fun to make. Enjoying your progress.

Scoot 

post-9806-0-99797300-1391485557_thumb.jpg

Been making some of the fittings. The kit supplies photo etched harpoons & lances. Also copper wire to solder them to.

Does anyone here know any household liquids to blacken em with ?

post-9806-0-81954700-1391485743_thumb.jpg

The oars are simpler to make. I used poplar from H. Depot.

post-9806-0-87491100-1391485811_thumb.jpg

Now the compass was furnished with the kit but not the C. rose. I hope my home made rose doesn't get the boat steerer lost.

Still a way to go.

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

I like the way you did it a work of art and an inspiration.  I brought the kit with me and hope to build it.  But no painting or airbrushing my sister would not like it.

You are good.

David B

Thanks for the encouraging words and tips.

Next to attend to some of the cordage involved with this model, like the harpoon lines, painter and various bucket handles. Maybe even an eye splice for the painter. I'm stretching the harpoon line just like they did in the old days.

post-9806-0-93315600-1391561583_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-93315600-1391561583_thumb.jpg

Notice the fastening stains in the hull.

post-9806-0-14594500-1391561699_thumb.jpg

I deepened the stain in the ceiling. I thinks it looks better.

I might do the same for the thwarts but can't figure if the stain would be less where the rowers sat of lighter. Any thoughts ?

S.os

post-9806-0-75886700-1391561629_thumb.jpg

Thanks

S.O.S.

Sos. My thought is that there certainly be seat wear on the thwarts, and foot wear and tool and rope wear etc.. On my whaleboat the goal was to make it appear that the whaleboat had survived a four year stint on a whaleship. Tried to put myself in place of the boatsmen plying their trade. Fun trying to decide the different traits of the different sailors on the different oars. Attached is a pic of a loggerhead, notched to perhaps count the whales captured on this whaleboat. Pic of a authentic whaleboat in the New Bedford Whaling Museum. Enjoy.

Scoot

post-310-0-51440200-1391653359_thumb.jpg