New Bedford Whaleboat by Senior ole salt - FINISHED - Model Shipways

I've making slow progress but the finish is near. I obtained the weathered mounting board ( cherry) a imitation sperm whales tooth.

The images shown below are missing the various line tubs, buckets and piggins that go with this model. The tubs have their lines faked down but I still have to "weather" the hoops. Also to soot up the sail some to kind of get some of the grimy whale blubber being processed aboard the whale ship.

post-9806-0-02205000-1393174637_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-21224000-1393174688_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-83489200-1393174779_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-52326900-1393174857_thumb.jpg

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

I really like the paint colors, how you've weathered everything, and the mounting board. Top notch work imho. 

Tim

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, I do intend to go to the New England model boat show in April. I will bring the whaleboat model if I can only get the cat to catch the rat ;)

post-9806-0-34757200-1394580345_thumb.jpg

post-9806-0-46568200-1394579978_thumb.jpg

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Nicely done I would like to see that model at Manitowoc this year. It looks great.  I will be looking over your log when I get to it.

David B

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful job on this... I've been eyeballing that kit for years... I really like the small craft. You've done it justice. All the little added details, weathering, and that aquamarine color... really makes it stand out among the other whale boats.

.. float her in the tub... there are only so many places that rat can hide.

• 4 years later...

Great info all have provided on the subject of weathering. I will be weathering my boat to reflect not only the weathered surfaces while being used hunting whales from the Essex , but the months at sea the crew of the Essex experienced before being rescued, adrift some three months and 4000 miles after the sinking of the Essex.  Thanks again ----STRAY DOG