Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

Nah.  Popeye remembers the old days when lobster claws used to be 'pinned' with wood pegs.  Treenails should do the trick!!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking good, Popeye.

It looks to me that you have made so much catching lobsters that you were able to buy a new boat.  Well done I say.  Well done indeed.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

that's true Augie........that's how they used to do it.   the animal rights activists thought that was inhumain.......isn't eating them just as bad?

no Bob.......he just has a very good pit crew.........LOL!   thanks for the good word

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

that's true Augie........that's how they used to do it.   the animal rights activists thought that was inhumain.......isn't eating them just as bad?

The animal rights activists want to eat them also.  So eating is not bad . . . eating lobster is GOOOOD.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Popeye,

Fishermen often take a lot of pride in the condition of their boats.  Look at the state of general maintenance on these lobster boats moored amongst the yachts at Perkins Cove.

post-5-0-35713200-1362168405_thumb.jpg

And I remebered this parking restriction sign - obviously put up just for you! :)

post-5-0-64185000-1362168408_thumb.jpg

John

this is the reason why I didn't weather the boat......it's so confusing.  I'll do a bit more to the traps anyway.   I also have to furnish the interior.  thanks for the pictures John......I've seen lots of pictures though......you can see just how versital this type of ship really is.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Those traps look really good on Denny-Zen, Popeye, she's almost ready to hit the beach to catch em' lobsters :) 

By the way, if you should happen to catch a rare albino lobster, kindly send it my way so I could add it to my "lobster collection" ;) 

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

I'll be sure to do that Aldo.........thanks for looking it.....and the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ah... finally caught up with the Lobster Twins... :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

that I am Mark.......only one more to go

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Should we start boiling the water and melting the butter?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

does that mean that you want me to paint them orange?.........LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

While I've been playing around with the AmericA build,   I took a little time to work up the buoys for the traps.   the ones supplied in the kit are too big.....   I took different size dowel and cut up a bunch of billets.

post-612-0-59536100-1362717747.jpg

post-612-0-31441500-1362717761.jpg

I don't have near enough of the really small dowel.......so I scaled up just a little.....I have plenty of bamboo skewers.   I was going to drill through to the other end,  but I didn't have a way to get them on center,  so I just drilled one end.

post-612-0-85778800-1362718011.jpg

post-612-0-75765200-1362718019.jpg

After shaping them with my dremel......I had to sand them the rest of the way.....I made eight of them.

post-612-0-80229100-1362718120.jpg

I already put the first color on one of them

post-612-0-64760300-1362718164.jpg

after they were all sanded,  they were painted the first color

post-612-0-99563200-1362718212.jpg

then they were given the second color

post-612-0-93920000-1362718252.jpg

post-612-0-91890700-1362718266.jpg

later I will band them with white, and paint the eyebolt on the end,  a flat black.   I'll have the five for the traps,  and extras to stow in the compartments with some rope.   I hope to find some time tomorrow to make other fittings for the lobster boat. 

as far as the Phylly C .......I didn't do much with her at the moment.   I did manage to pair up the skis and paint them.

post-612-0-78874800-1362718565.jpg

I want to do a bit more to them,  as well as the bindings.   I'm still thinking of other aspects to put in  the build.......I'll get back to these two soon! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sweet  job on the bouys Popeye, they look great!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Water skis and trap bobbers? Is this a new way to retrieve lobster traps?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Frank,  John and Patrick!   they'll look even better when I get them striped and in place.   you know.....this really isn't such a bad idea.......posting a dual build like this....    my only suggestion for anyone planning a future build of this nature,  is to do  'like'  builds.... battle ships,   sail boats......etc.   this sort of a taffy pull brings up some pretty funny comments......:)  I can see that anyone who read this build log in the future better have the bathroom close by........'cuz their gonna wet their pants browsing through it!  LOL!  ;)

love you guys...........I love a great sense of humor  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

in light of all this.........can you imagine the stress the skier would be under.......grabbing a buoy while holding onto the rope...........holy dislocation Batman!!!!!

"bring'er around Ralph.......Bobby tripped on a buoy again!"  :o     I always knew that guy had two left skis!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I could use a few of those floats for pan fishing with my fly rod!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

perhaps I could start up a new business Augie     " Popeye's Bobbers"    LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

Seems to me that you're having way too much fun in this building. . . Wait . . . Having fun is what it's all about . . . Never mind.

Bob

yepper Bob.........;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

wouldn't have to worry about trees..........eh.....Buck  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A quick enima will sort the men from the bouys, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

no I just have to get working on the two lovebirds again........that'll put everything on an even keel.  :)

I made the sail for the Denny-Zen today........progress soon........I will try  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

oh man....at first I thought you really were making a 6 pack (maybe of old fashioned milk bottles) and then they turned out to be buoys - what a let down ;) Lovin the details.  Don't forget the little cups that you put your feet into for the skiis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

You sure are getting a lot of 'help' here Popeye :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976