Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

Hey Popeye,

Am enjoying the build!

Your build logs are just fantastic and appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to go into the smallest of detail. We all are learning from your builds.

Keep on my friend!

BFN,

Hopeful aka David

Alrighty PopEye - Where DO You come up with these things,  It has become a little game of mine,  what will he do next; and wham!  A cooler and prep table?!?!?!   Well done Popeye, Well done.

And the weathering.  Nice job!  Weather always used to scare me when I was into the plastic armor stuff and took me a good while to really get comfortable doing it, you did quite well - looks nice and dirty ;)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thanks Keith.....I use only enamels...flats for the most part.  I can just take some thinner and blend in some of the more prominant stroke marks......mainly on the sort table.   yes...I do tend to talk to my builds....better than talking to myself.  not that I'm 'not'  a good listener, just that it kinda creeps me out when I give answer in another voice....... LOL  {just kidding}

thanks Alex......I,  in no way,  want to become an advocate,  for the consumption for lobster..........but for some reason,  my last few builds seem to point towards food.   perhaps my next build should be dubbed the Jack La Laine ;)  thanks for the good word.

thanks David......glad your enjoying the build.  while I do enjoy thinking of cool things to do,  I get some of them here as well......kind of a group effort.  thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Adam........I wasn't going to do this....but I guess I'm glad i did.   when it all comes together.....it will look the better for it.  thanks for the good word ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Advocate ;) for lobsters ? Interesting ... !!! However, what kind of fee? Grilled lobsters, I think, could be a good remuneration for a defending, but perhaps there would be a conflict of interests.

Again: a very interesting and well made model

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

If you want to mute some of your weathering effects, you can try going over with a very light overspray of white or black (depending if you want her to look faded or grimey). If you can of course... I don't know if you have an airbrush... or access to one...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I do most of my painting with airbrush Andy.   I figure that once I get the traps on board,  it will tie everything together.  the only real bad area is on the sort table....got some rather evident stroke marks......some thinner on a Q-tip will blend all that together.   I used a flat paint,  so it won't alter the sheen too much.

thanks for the good word John.   there's more to this....I'll have it up soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I started back with an airbrush,  after I did my first build........using a rattle can was very hard.....no control at all.   I wasn't going to do any weathering....but I did the sort table.......and of course,  there is the deck.....I felt that it show show some wear pattern {walk path to the fore cabin door,  and the helm}......and I wanted to do some skuffings to the skids.   I have some more progress to report......I think that once all the traps and stuff are in the picture,  it should look fine.    I just have to get over how I feel about weathering in general.....I don't do a lot of it......and when I see it the next day......I usually change it back.   I did say though,  that this boat is going to look like it's been around a while and seen a lot of work.   thanks for your thoughts Andy......I really appreciate it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

wow! don't know what happened the other night.......went to put in the latest update and the site was down..........anyone know what happened?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Sjors....I'll look into it........there is a problem with the posting.   I posted a comment this morning, but it appeared like it didn't go through.    I hit it three or four more times......before I knew it,  I was deleting extra posts {duplicates}.    I know better now.

thanks runner63.........kind of you to join in.   I think you will like the neaxt update.........here it is.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yes Popeye.  It was a little nuts this morning.  But I think we're back to normal.

On with the ..... weathering!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I did make a small alteration to the weathering on the sort table......you might see it in later pictures.   I did the rest of the painting and assembly on the front doors for the traps.

post-612-0-55728600-1364081721.jpg

I put a few buoys under the sheer........then I began to add the colors to the front doors.

post-612-0-57503600-1364081858.jpg

post-612-0-76524300-1364081871.jpg

post-612-0-06363400-1364081879.jpg

the eye bolts were added to the traps......they then bacame part of the paint process......they need to look just as weathered as the traps.  the painting continued........

post-612-0-23193200-1364081986.jpg

post-612-0-56540200-1364081993.jpg

the weathering was done to the winch and the backside of the crane.

post-612-0-38312500-1364082057.jpg

the painting continued......

post-612-0-04005700-1364082095.jpg

post-612-0-57547100-1364082107.jpg

I had a look at what out atlantic lobsters look like........they were given a base coat of dark flat green.

post-612-0-69587500-1364082191.jpg

more painting continued.......

post-612-0-13535200-1364082245.jpg

I knew it was missing something!!!!!!  green!

post-612-0-59701500-1364082264.jpg

then I added the vegitation and some starfish that I've had tucked away.   these starfish have been in my possession since the 80's....when my oldest son was little.  we used to go to Hampton beach during the summers,  and look for these little guys in the rocks at low tide.   ahhhhhh,  memories!

post-612-0-32556600-1364082276.jpg

this little guy was another creature we caught.......I believe it is a prawn,  but I'm not sure.   this seems to be as good a place as any for him.......before he's reduced to powder.

post-612-0-89357100-1364082681.jpg

the ropes were made for the traps and set on them to take on their shape as they dry

post-612-0-52862700-1364082757.jpg

....and then,  after many color layerings,   are the lobsters

post-612-0-56327000-1364082827.jpg

post-612-0-30856600-1364082840.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

after all this was finished and allowed to dry,  the doors were assembled onto the traps.

post-612-0-96593100-1364083092.jpg

post-612-0-69146000-1364083120.jpg

the adjustment was made to the sorting table......it looks a bit better.

post-612-0-47592200-1364083161.jpg

the trap near the crane was cemented in place first..........

post-612-0-74387800-1364083180.jpg

the other lobster is on the sorting table........

post-612-0-87904200-1364083332.jpg

I failed to get any pictures of the rope tying and such,  but here are the finished pictures of the rest of the traps.  they are all cemented in place.

post-612-0-39873700-1364083438.jpg

post-612-0-13187400-1364083451.jpg

post-612-0-87979600-1364083461.jpg

this ends the saga of the traps........a few more props,  and this boat will be finished.   I can then do the Phylly C,  which will require a lot less to finish that one off.   Enjoy!!! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

First Weathering... now a crustacean infestation.. and what is that green crud... cabbage?... no wait... kelp? Seems to be everywhere! I hope it's not hard to eradicate.. you know... like Kudzu.. Hate to come back in a few months and find your hard work disguised as a hedge! :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

that'll  teach those boaters to clean off their props and rudders,  before they launch their boats in other waters!  if your familar with songs done by Jim Stafford,  he has one called  'last chant'.  it's about human encroachment on the Florida everglades  the last verse is so true:

an' I wonder what you'll do,

if the swamp moved in on.....you

scratched on your screen,  dripped out your water spout

tapped you on the shoulder,  an' said........

you move out.............

thanks for the good word.......just little bits here and there to make it more interesting........I guess I don't have to add more to the outside of the traps  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

not too worried there John.........the scientists are to blame for most of it.........they introduced milfoil in some of our lakes,  and now they can't get rid of it........I even forget why they did it.   getting good pictures of lobsters to work with was a pain in the A**.....most of them were cooked and on a plate.  the ones I did find,  either had bad lighting, or obscure in some way or another.   I guess it hard to get a lobster to pose for the camera  :)

thanks for the good word John........Andy's safe........I'll keep my milfoil in New Hampshire  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Excellent work, Popeye - the lobstah look real (confession - my graduate research involved detailed collections and in situ studies of Homarus americanus).  Never fear - the green stuff is all native brown alga Fucus vesiculosus

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

thanks Wayne.......I know that it's probably not milfoil.......I just pick on it because it's such a nusence up around here.   soon to finish up on these two.......then I can move on to these other projects I have hanging around!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the lobsters look great! I like the starfish - but would they really have caught one in each trap? I'm still on the fence on the weathering - it is definitely well executed, but I just feel sad for ships that look unloved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I wouldn't call her "unloved"..... She's got lots of character, and she looks ready to put in a hard day's work. That's how they look in real life... While some of us prefer that "new boat smell" fresh out of the showroom, it's nice to see a few with some "dings" and scuffs.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Popeye, the details you have added really bring this boat to life. I like the traps, animals, and weathering. Now where is Sjors so we can't get this lobster dinner thing settled? I'm hungry!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Popeye, you've done a magnificent job on her.  She looks every bit the part of a hard working boat.  Oh, she's loved....but she's functional!

The lobster traps, with flora and critters, are a true work of art.  Really.

Once again, you've outdone yourself.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great stuff Popeye, All the little details make the setup all the more lifelike. I too wonder about the starfish, don't those critters move at a snails pace?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.