Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

Hi Popeye

Your lobster twins are looking really good.  I like what you have done to the Denny-Zen.  

The lobster traps and sought table came out really well, also the weathering, it makes it look like a real working boat instead of one that has just come from the showroom so to speak.

Like all of your builds I have found these two very entertaining to watch.  Who needs a TV in their lounge when they've got a Popeye. :)  

Seriously though very well done and I can't wait to see the end result.

Regards Phil

I'm still on the fence on the weathering - it is definitely well executed, but I just feel sad for ships that look unloved.

Ah, but she's out and working.  She'll be hosed down when she gets to dock and sells all those lobsters. 

Of course Popeye will have to keep some for his own dinner.

Good work Popeye.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Wow, the prawn on the table is great and I didnt know starfish got that small.

GREAT additions to the pots and table.

Awesome job weathering, just one thing and maybe its the camera.

The Buoy should be more beat up and would they show a water line. In the pic's they POP like a new bobber. I'm seeing barnacle encrusted, algae hangin' on, salt water soaked and faded buoy's on a old work horse like that. Not trying to be a spoil sport,

I intend this only as constructive achievement of "ZEN" :dancetl6:

that's a great picture Keith.......they probably should have been weathered.......I guess I just never borthered to do it.    the striping is a 'some do and some don't'  type of thing......I was going to use white decal strips,  but they just wouldn't behave....so I scrubbed the idea and left them the way they are.   yes,  starfish do start out small.......babies......I believe they are egg layers {I have to look this up}.  my son and I used to climb all over those rocks.......he thinks it's really cool that I'm using them in my models.   thanks for the good word and you observations Keith ;)

thanks Bob......I was on the fence about it......but I had to do the sort table,  and that started a chain reaction.   I'm not unhappy that I did it.......it does look so much better with the traps on board.

thanks to you as well Phil.   I am glad that you find my builds to be a good read........it makes the way I do them worth the effort.  I appreciate the kind words......I look forward in seeing more updates from your fine build as well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

it quite possible Sarah.......they like to eat as well.   when my son and I were climbing on those rocks at low tide,  there were way too many for us to gather them all.   we even caught a crab.......but a seagull took it away from us.  we watched it pick it up and fly over the rocks.  he dropped it,  and it broke it's shell.........the gull then landed and ate it!   so cool!

thanks Michael....I guess the answer to your question is the same as Sarah's......but yea......they do get around.  they're just out looking for food.

I have to work tomorrow.......it's very late for me.........a huge thank you to every one else who commented....I really appreciate the good words.  even 'I' am impressed with how it came out :)    there are still a couple more thing i want to do,  and then it will be finished.  the Phylly C won't take much to finish her......and then I can finish the AmericA build.     the Goth is waiting.   thanks again!

P.S.    I knew you liked it Andy ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking great!  I love the little lobsters.  I agree with your son it's neat your using the start fish.  It works very well.  

Hi Popeye, had not looked in on this build of yours previously; glad I did!  Great work mate, love the 'life' you have brought to it - just a rub here and there of an old prawn and she'll even smell like a working boat :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Daniel.....my first time painting crustaceans.   good times :)

thanks for the good word Pat.....I'm not much at weathering,  I'm pleased at how it came out.

yup...your correct.  the colors are an ID thing.......on every one of my builds so far,  I've been able to give them different combos.   it's too late now to do anything with them......I'd be afraid to mess it up.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Id say Capt' Denny probably decided it was time for new buoys and replaced his dinhgy crusty old buoys and purchased new ones. (he probably sold them to some nautical collector on ebay for more then the cost of new ones). and with Capt' Dennys aging eyes he need bright new bouys to be better able to see them. With those new buoys, ZEN he could see them again (and made a profit ta' boot)

At least that my story....

Oh, one other thing.

On your decals, is that posted somewhere in MSW how you make those. Seems I remember you saying something about using a printer? but then my memories horrible.

Anyway, any info or direction to the correct spot in the forums would be appreciated. The Decals really make a model POP. I dont know if it'll work out but I got a sizing pen and 6 little gold leaf sheets at hobby lobby. I dont know if I can freehand but I just gotta try to gold leaf a transom with the Ladies name. My plans are the Dinghy for my mom-in-law. simple 3 lettters DOT. I'll have to practice one before attempting it on the boat.

I'm looking forward to the detailing of the Phylly C.

Did I hear jet-ski...

Looks fantastic, Popeye! 

You are correct on the biology - these are probably Asterias fobesi or Asterias vulgaris.  Both are very similar biologically and quite abundant along the New England coast.  Both like various prey - things like clams, mussels, small crustaceans like amphipods.  Both also, for some reason, also enjoy the occasional snail.  I personally prefer my snails with a nice garlic butter, but to each his or her own!

The sexes are separate in Asterias forbesi. Sperm and eggs are liberated into the sea and fertilization is external. The starfish in any area may synchronize their emission of gametes which will increase the chance of fertilization taking place. The eggs hatch into bipinnaria larvae which form part of the zooplankton and develop over a period of about three weeks before settling on the seabed and undergoing metamorphosis into juvenile starfish.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about echinoderms!!!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne -  thanks for your treatise on starfish.  Some here may simply be curious as to whether they are edible (with fries, gravy and cheese) or as a surf 'n turf with groundhog.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

While they are a prefered delicacy for those scavengers from above (sea gulls), I have not in my previous life in Marine Biology known of anyone from the Human species that has tried them, although they may produce an interesting poutine...

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

LMAO Augie,

Ground Hog? not muskrat, or 'possum

and I think starfish poutine would be awfully crunchy

Dr starfish.... er Wayne, thanks. I love the extra info. I'd think snails would be easier to get at then clams. Sad to think they don't even know how butter and garlic enhances the snails flavor!

All this food talk is making me hungry

Superb just Superb, well done Popeye.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks fro the added compliments everyone!!   hmmmmmm,  starfish souffle......no,  I don't think I've ever run across a recipe for starfish.

I would think there wouldn't be much meat......and probably tough to chew.  somehow....I'm not feeling the love in eating the little buggers ;)     thanks for the info Wayne.....I've seen articles on how they feed........sure glad the human species don't eat like that....be rather messy at the dinner table  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sure glad the human species don't eat like that....be rather messy at the dinner table  ;)

Yah,  I'll settle for the snails.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

never tried them...I'd be too leary about where they've been.....LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just catching up Popeye.  Somewhere, the neat and clean lil' yellow boat became a worker.  Looks fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark.  this puts the build that much closer towards being finished.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Wow! I sure have a lot of catching up to do, that's a lot of progress work my friend, all of them top-notch, that mast and sail on Denny Zen is a real treat, those lobster traps look so real I could almost imagine seeing "my unique albino lobster" inside one of them, and that sorting table is a real work of art, keep them coming mate B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Popeye!

Looking to your cages I had a curiosity: how lobster are hunted. So I've searched news and images on the web and now I'm really astonished. Your traps are perfect.

I take off my hat

Cheers

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

thanks Alex.......I don't have too much more that I'm going to do with him......just a few more added details.   I'm working towards getting these near finished builds off the table,  so I can start back onto the Gothenborg.   not too much at the moment...I'm trying to finish the F-15 build I have going on {almost done}.........then I can finish these two off.  they both need pretty much the same aspects,  so the Denny-zen  AND  the Phylly C will be finished.    thanks for the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wait you have two lobster boats, the America, the Gothenburg, and an F-15?!?!   :huh:   I'm not sure how you keep up with it all but they are coming out great.  Looking forward to more great pics.   

the F-15 is finished..........I have the lobsie twins on the table at the moment.   I don't have too much to do for these two,  then it's off on the AmericA.     THEN.........to the Goth!   I'll have some pictures soon...........I haven't posted any for a bit.   thanks for looking in Daniel  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

How about a photo of the F-15 Popeye?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Popee

Your Zen is just wonderful, i love those extra details you put in there, it look so real to.

Exellent my friend.  :)

Børge

after all this was finished and allowed to dry,  the doors were assembled onto the traps.

attachicon.gif#1.JPG

attachicon.gif#2.JPG

the adjustment was made to the sorting table......it looks a bit better.

attachicon.gif#3.JPG

the trap near the crane was cemented in place first..........

attachicon.gif#4.JPG

the other lobster is on the sorting table........

attachicon.gif#5.JPG

I failed to get any pictures of the rope tying and such,  but here are the finished pictures of the rest of the traps.  they are all cemented in place.

attachicon.gif#6.JPG

attachicon.gif#7.JPG

attachicon.gif#8.JPG

this ends the saga of the traps........a few more props,  and this boat will be finished.   I can then do the Phylly C,  which will require a lot less to finish that one off.   Enjoy!!! ;)

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: