Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

Popeye.. this one is for your crew.  Since I agitated Augie's build, thought I'd pop one on yours... need to spread the music. :)  :)  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

wow.......I guess subject matter was poor back then.........and a gosspil song no less!   LOL!   the boys got a big kick out of it though....swear to god they were dancing on a tin roof!

post-612-0-49306500-1369370249_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 7 months later...

has anyone ever finished a model,  thinking that they could have done more to it?  has anyone ever put one aside,  knowing that there was something left to do?   that is the case here.   I have tried to make a decent set of bindings for these skis.....I guess it's not the  'cobbler's life'  for me  :)

so,  I'm going to go with another approach.........make a rack to store them in.   I made up the framework for the rack,  and did a test fit.

5a333c9493464_1.JPG.8ccd8f5c0fb28e739231ffaae748e422.JPG

after a little sanding,  a center divider was put in.

5a333cae01b32_2.JPG.61ec755cabc6eade3deae028acba9ad3.JPG

this will be sanded some more........with fine tuning to follow  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor
missing pictures

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

has anyone ever finished a model,  thinking that they could have done more to it?  has anyone ever put one aside,  knowing that there was something left to do?  

Popeye, I'm sure you're the only one to, "put one aside, knowing that there was something left to do."   The rest of us would never do that.  :P  :P  :P

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Dude... you're not right.  :P~

- Bug

Wait ---- have I fallen into a black hole?  Is this Ground Hog Day?  You're amazing Popeye :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great work Popeye as always.  I'm curious as to what nautical back ground your crew has.  Did they model for Jolly Rogers?   :P

I've never seen clean build log like this.. It was great to watch from begining.. Congratulations Popeye ! 

Cheers, Bugra.

Edited by Bugra

There is nothing that a little sanding can't solve.. Bugra.

Current Builds : 

H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Bugra - 1/48

Turkish Traditional Ship - Surmene Takasi by Bugra - 1:35

thanks for all your kind words gentlemen {I think bug has talked with my admiral} :D :D      I had left this hanging...............you know something......I forgot what I left this hanging for :D :D    well anyway........I've had these skis laying around long enough....time to get them on the model.   I looked around today for the wainscoting I made for this build,  but I couldn't find it.   I'll think of something,  I'm sure.

not sure Daniel.....I put up the sign.......and all I got were these guys.........talk about slim pick'ins......jeeze!

just thinking about #9 Sjors...........no.......that's not happening :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

last week I did more work on the rack.........I thought it to be a small task,  but it's kinda dragged on.  I have had a nasty cold........it's now a dull roar,  and I feel much better.   I had done more sanding and shaping to the rack.....since I could not find the original wainscoting I had made for the build,  I just improvised around the base.

5a333d1d057e3_1.JPG.f072fefe23c61f03601063769dc10f3b.JPG

so it wouldn't get lost against the wall,  I gave it a light stain and a coat of lacquer.

5a333d34056b3_2.JPG.3ff3e3ec003d2da04ebb79f14eb59a26.JPG

5a333d69ccb62_3.JPG.72644d223bb41c0711bdf8a6fbc17c2a.JPG

now it's time for a little bit of hardware.   as you can see,  the depth of the rack,  hides the fact that the skis have no bindings.

5a333d7c01ccf_4.JPG.e55e6e7f89ebd54fb19e585bbf69e5ce.JPG

5a333da921a9b_5.JPG.d6be0f3834ae84e3c6abb53c062f4016.JPG

5a333db634bc4_6.JPG.273dd277b57e29f78ecaa614d06211e2.JPG

missing pictures

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

All set for the Winter Olympics.  Better cast off with the outgoing tide......time is short.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Now that is real class. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

but these are water skis Augie..............oh,  I get it.........hard water....right?!?!?! :D :D :D :D     thanks for the head's up  ;)

thanks for the good word Bob.......next update should finish them up  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bug....once I get the bling on it,  I can get it installed.  then the build will be complete  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finished off the rack........there really wasn't much else to do.   in the last picture,  I had drilled the holes and installed the eye bolts.   I didn't cement them in in case I needed to remove them for any reason.  I did have to remove the center one.....a piece of chain was captured in the eyelet.   then all three were cemented in place.

5a333e2471b68_1.JPG.a4b0066de8e8c3ac0bda6c45b42f0f92.JPG

the skis were then cemented in place and the chains were hung on the outer ones with hooks that I had fashioned from a couple of other eye bolts.

5a333e39d8dd0_2.JPG.6aad4e52e66130eb3aec1e6b511cec00.JPG

the Phylly C was ready to accept the new addition

5a333e62905f9_3.JPG.8b655703698ee2f625d9c83881070c1a.JPG

........and then the rack was cemented in place.   nothing to it  :)

5a333e7840e65_4.JPG.8542ea4faa110c76383e96c6000c4e9f.JPG

5a333e81463d4_5.JPG.493ea9fb7f3ea9c1f6b39c94ce1c026c.JPG

I feel better already..........this build is hear-by finished.   this build turned out to be quite a bit of fun,  aside from my getting carried away.   I still have the plans......who knows.......I may even come up with yet another variant.........I do have one in mind.   but not right just yet.........the admiral would kill me if I did....LOL!    thanks to all for the comments and looking in......I hope you enjoyed it!  ;)

missing pictures

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for sharing the journey with us Popeye.  WELL DONE!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looks great, Popeye.  The ski rack is the perfect finish.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thank you all.........even though it is a bit of a cop-out,   the skis are on the model now  ;)   I don't have to keep track of them anymore.....YIPPIE!!!!!!!   it would have probably looked cool to have them around the deck somewhere,  but the rack might have turned out to be an after thought.   since I failed to get a good shape for the bindings.......this turned out to be the next best thing.  this completes the subject of the build.....and there you have it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Wayne.......it's about time I put the finish to this one  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Finished !  Finished !  No, it can't be.  Why you could . . . and then . . .  OK finished it is.  Let's get the bow wet with champaign and party on.  Beautiful job. 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Getting carried away is the best part! 

- Bug

Well done Popeye she's great!  I wouldn't say the ski's are a cop-out just creative ingenuity.  This was a fun build to watch.  I look forward to you other builds.   

yes.......it's true Bob.......I only had that one thing to do.   she's back on the shelf now  :)  thanks for the good word!

getting carried away is what caused me to build the two in the first place........but I'd do it again in a heartbeat ;)   thanks for the good word Bug!

thanks Daniel...I'm glad you enjoyed it :)   speaking of my other builds........I'd better get hopping on'em.   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: