Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

I think Popeye used the big sails on his America.  Go figure :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You know come to think of it their are wild lobsters in Colorado.  They're called crawdads.

220px-Austropotamobius_pallipes.jpg

Quiet a bit smaller then your Maine lobster but still edible.  

Also fantastic work Popeye.  The sails look great.  You must have planned this well to have the America sails and these sails all coming together at the same time.  

Edited by DSiemens

thanks Augie and Bob for the good word!.......just a little bit more ;)

no Sjors......that about the size of it.......all it does is steady the boat......no manipulation required

that's just the way the chips fell Daniel.....I still have to do the windows on the D-Z......and I need to finish off the helm {on both boats - the D-Z and the P C}....a little prop magic,  and there you go.....done  :)    the America build went pretty quick.....caught up to the lobsie twins just in time  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nicely done with the steadying sail, Popeye - now on to the lobsters!

John

And apparently they are water-skiing lobsters at that.  :huh:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2q1rnh2.jpg lobsters taste yummy.... Sjors taught me alllllllll about pictures yesterday! Beware....devil-animated-animation-devil-smiley-em

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

The progress is looking good Popeye! That sail really adds a nice touch to it. I wasn't aware that some powered boats of this type had sails. Very nice!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I wasn't going to put it into the build.....I do find it strange to see it off center like that,  but  if it's to look like this, then I will make it so.

thank to all for the good word........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye, I learn something new with every one of your builds.  Had never heard of a steadyin sail before.  See, it does pay to get up every day!  Nice looking boat.  You must be running out of space in the "marina" with all your builds.   :D  

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

thanks Bob.......I'll find that out,  when all these get finished.   I've sent two of them home......I still have some room.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, I learn something new with every one of your builds.  Had never heard of a steadyin sail before.  See, it does pay to get up every day!  Nice looking boat.  You must be running out of space in the "marina" with all your builds.   :D  

I'll tell you Popeye, these guys from landlocked states don't know a spinnaker from a ham sandwich :rolleyes:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I wasn't going to put it into the build.....I do find it strange to see it off center like that,  but  if it's to look like this,

Popeye, It has to be like that to keep the traplines from fouling as the traps go back over the side off the stern. Notice also that there are no cleats on deck aft for the same reason.

Tom

I'll tell you Popeye, these guys from landlocked states don't know a spinnaker from a ham sandwich :rolleyes:

I do to, the ham sandwich goes in the galley.  :P

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

oh....I don't know about that Augie.......we have a small beach front,  as well with the bordering of two other states that are famous for their waterfronts........and I'm still learning something new every time I pick up the x-actor  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'll take mine on deck with a beer ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello tom.   Yepper......that's the way I have it.   I have to get busy and make up the work area.......perhaps this afternoon......

I have about 100 reef lines to sew into my AmericA sails.......so that might break the manotany ;)  thanks for the good word.  I like your avatar........I happen to have one just like it.......but without the dog looking on   hee.......hee...!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Although there is inconclusive evidence (I just made it up) that there were spinnakers on ancient galleys as well!!! B)

I've heard that as well!  But they sometimes got wrapped around the Loran and hindered navigation.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hahahahahahahahaha.  Why, has something replaced it?????????  I just upgraded from RDF!

Oh, I forgot ....... GPS!!!!!  Recalculating..................................................

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Decided to poke my head up from the house renovations and WOW have I lot to catch up on.   Rocky mountain water skiing lobsters and I know I saw a comment or something about an enima back there - but really; don't wanna know.

So i will just pop in,  say Great work Popeye, the bouys look really nice and the sail was an education - I have never seen a sail on a lobster boat; learn something everyday!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hahahahahahahahaha.  Why, has something replaced it?????????  I just upgraded from RDF!

Oh, I forgot ....... GPS!!!!!  Recalculating..................................................

So you skipped using TACAN then?   Maybe we should just go back to Dead Reckoning... would make life interesting with smart bombs for a payload. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I don't know Adam........I guess that's what happens when you don't post pictures regularly  :)   I'm getting some done on this one,  but I've been working on another at the moment.   I'm doing something on it today........hope to have an update soon.  there are still a couple sub assemblies I can do.   thanks for looking in my friend ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So you skipped using TACAN then?   Maybe we should just go back to Dead Reckoning... would make life interesting with smart bombs for a payload. ;)

Come on, Mark.  TACAN is 3 dimensional.  I like things simple.  And, for your info, I was the acknowledged King of Dead Reckoning back in the day :bird-vi:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

here is a little something I tried out yesterday.   I have to make the front door for the traps......but I am out of the wood supplied to make the traps.   I thought to make the door using wire....I have some really stiff steel wire,  that I haven't found a use for.   I also painted it it in quick steps.....the paint had very little time to dry.......but I think it still achieves the matching to the trap itself.

post-612-0-56224300-1363262555.jpg

the admiral bought this packet of thread for me......she thought I might be able to use it.  there are different hues in the bag,  but they are a bit too shiny,  so I can't really use it in normal application.  it will do for this just fine.

post-612-0-73310800-1363262712.jpg

I took netting and cut the center hole,  and then lashed it to the frame.

post-612-0-61663400-1363262822.jpg

hee is how it will look on the trap.

post-612-0-75397200-1363262849.jpg

it was given the gray paint......then the brown hues.........and then the flat black and white

post-612-0-65273300-1363262931.jpg

......to give me this.

post-612-0-74045800-1363262953.jpg

post-612-0-69748800-1363262966.jpg

still a few more aspects need to be added to them..........the others will have a better door shape.  this is the extra one that will be put in the compartment under the sheer.   the progress continues........more to come soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A lot of effort there Popeye.  VERY well worth it!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

hi there Augie......thanks for the good word.  that's what a lot of this finish stuff is....just wish it wasn't so tedious ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: