Istanbul Kayigi by Ilhan Gokcay - (Coastal trade vessel of Istanbul) 18th c. Scale:1/50 - Finished

I looked at this because the name suggested it would be something different.

The lines of the hull are beautiful and got my continued attention.

The build itself is inspiring!

Pity there is no dialogue but the pictures do speak for themselves and the tell a very interesting story.

I am familiar with the "strong back" concept for building real boats but have never seen it used for a model and I love the idea, espacially useful for any open boat build. I have a few long boats and whale boats in my future and was wondering how I was going to build them to a standard I would be happy with which kits rarely live up to with these acilliary boats.

So many lessons learned, the heat sink on the soldering iron is another good one.

Thanks so much.

Steve

Edited by Bedford

Ilhan, very nice to see this build summarized. And I learned a lot from your "outside-in" building method. How did  you heat the metal tube over which you are bending the planks?

Mark

Hi Steve, thanks. Unfortunately I did not saved the text but only the photos. I'm ready to reply any questions.

Thank you very much Mark.

Here are somo photos for the tool for bending the wood strips.

Originally it is a table lamp body and already has a boring. I have attached a 60 Watt soldering iron in it. The point is that it is as hot as does not burn the wood but I can not touch it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilhan_gokcay/2020376640/in/set-72157602839388460

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilhan_gokcay/2019583387/in/set-72157602839388460/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilhan_gokcay/2019590619/in/set-72157602839388460/

Ilhan

Thanks Ilhan but I find the excellent pictorial record answers my questions pretty well.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hello Ilhan

I have just spent the last several hours being stunned by this Magnificent Vessels build. It is a truely remarkable work of artistry. If a picture is worth a thousand words, this build log is a volume of books. My wife also said to tell you that you are truely a master. She was very impressed with your wonderfully detailed build.

One question I have is about the brass etching of the scroll work. Is there a source for the procedure involved in creating such wonderful pieces.

Thanks for resharing this build. You have inspired me creatively. I will surely be back to see this one many times.

Thank you very much for the kind words Keith.

For the brass etching there should be some sources but unfortunately I can not name any definitive address.

Regards

Ilhan