Istanbul Kayigi by Ilhan Gokcay - FINISHED - 1:50 Scale - Coastal trade vessel of Istanbul 18th c.

If I might ask, regarding the etching. It appear that you used photoshop to create the pattern, then was it printed and ironed on? then the back of the brass plate was painted with nail polish. Then the plate was submerged it some solution and the non-protected metal was eroded by chemical means? 

That is what I get form the pictures. Just curious do you remember with what or how the iron on was created. and also what solution was used to remove the unprotected brass. As a chemistry teacher I use to hollow pennies out in HCL (hydrochloric acid). Three small scores in the edge, exposed it inner zinc and the HCl eroded the zinc away, leaving the thin outer copper shell. As an electrochemist I've also done some electro-plating. I find this method very fascinating and the end product is a beautifully unique piece.

I'm not wanting to be a bother, I just find your work very beautiful and there is no better way to learn then from the hands of a master. Thanks again for reposting this build, She is such a beautiful ship and the detail is remarkable to me.

Hi Keith, you're welcome and thank you very much. 

I used a program called "Adobe Illustrator". I made the drawing by hand, scanned  and redrawn(with points) with the program. The program allows me to put points and automayically connects them. It is also possible to move the points afterwards. The drawing as background I made as much points as possible to create the same shape.

You described the process exactly as it is. The blue paper is called PNP(Press and peel) paper. The design should be printed on the flat side with a laser printer(ink does not work). Put upside down on brass and heated with iron so that it's transferred to the brass(toner+blue stuff). This print should be as sharp as possible and also dark. Take care while ironing that it does not slip. The solution to etch the unprotected brass is Iron(III)Chloride. Heated in hot water. 40-50'C is ideal but not crucial. For my parts it took 30 minutes to etch. It should be continiously stirred for a good result.  Nitro thinner is ideal to clean the nail polish and the PNP. At first it was not that easy, I made several trials to get a good result.

And Keith I'm happy to answer any questions, it's never a bother.

Edited by Ilhan Gokcay

Ilhan,

I remember this build from the old MSW, thank you for re-posting, it is a good reference for the rest of us!

regards

Stelios

Current build: not decided yet.

Previous builds:

Traditional Greek vessel "Symiaki Skafi" (scratch)

Traditional Greek vessel "Perama" (scratch)

HMS Bounty (kit)

Thanks you for your answers Ilhan, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Fe(III)Cl is a much better choice then my first thought, Nitric Acid (HNO3), I figured it was probably a redox reaction. I was wondering what transition metal salt worked best with brass. From the colour of the solution I knew it wasn't HNO3, but thought it might be an iron or chromium salt based on colour. I will do some looking into the PNP(Press and peel) paper also. I may be able to get that printing done at an office supply store.

In dissolving metals Nitric acid is used alot with copper and its alloys. This is a nasty reaction that required a fume hood as toxic brown gases are released. It makes more sense that the Copper is removed by a redox reaction (electron exchange reaction).

I use to do an experiment in my class where Aluminum foil was placed in a solution of CuCl. The Copper in solution steals electrons from the aluminum metal and the copper forms atomic metal as the aluminum goes into solution as an Al3+ ion. Its an electromagnetic pecking order among the elements, that can be used to perform some nice things.

This looks like a fun task to master. It also lets me use my chemistry skills in modeling. Your etching work is the Crowning touch to your Istanbul Kayigi.

Hi Stelios and Ferit, thanks a lot.

Ferit there is a Turkish text of my build, will try to upload to "Rapidshare" and inform you.

Hi Keith,

Basically Fe(III)Cl is used for dissolving copper to make PCB's(Printed Circuit Board)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron%28III%29_chloride#Industrial

The reaction should be (FeCl3 + Cu → FeCl2) + CuCl) and (FeCl3 + CuCl → FeCl2 + CuCl2)

I works with brass but I don't know the reaction.

There is an alternative which is Ammonium persulfate for dissolvig copper (again used to make PCB's) . I did not tried this for brass, I think it should work.

While dissolving copper this solution gets blue.

Fe(III)Cl stains everything and never comes off. Ammonium persulfate seems to be more safe regarding the stains and also does not need heating.

Edited by Ilhan Gokcay

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Istanbul Kayigi by Ilhan Gokcay - FINISHED - 1:50 Scale - Coastal trade vessel of Istanbul 18th c.