US Frigate Essex by trippwj - Aeropiccola - 1:70 Scale - POB

Wayne, I agree with Augie about the sequence and procedure. The only addition that I would make is to consider the use of a chisel (very sharp!) to do some of the initial work.

Bob

Bob's idea will certainly expedite the process --- given a steady hand.  Actually, (and I hate to mention this) I used the infamous pencil sander to get things underway last time out.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, modlerbob said:

I hope I'm not treading somewhere I shouldn't but I am wondering what happened to this build.  Last post was almost three years ago.  Did the builder give up or is there some other reason.  I am interested as I have this kit and am considering starting to build it in the near future.

No worries, Bob.  My Essex still awaits some attention.  I just haven't had the time for any building the past few months, and I am still struggling with planking on 3 separate builds.  I am trying to get my feeble mind around planking my Emma C. Berry before I restart the Essex.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 2 years later...

Just saw your notes on the ESSEX>  I worked with the curator of the Peabody Museum, Chad Smith, and Bill Baker when the Book "The ESSEX Papers" was being written.  Had access to a lot of inf, and did a lot of research myself.  I built a  scratch model of the ship, donated it to the Museum, in 1976.   It was on display for some years.  There are many errors in the kit, and I don't think Portia's info is accurate.  Suggest you try to get a copy of the book and plans.  I am making a book with photos of my model.  Don't know where you ARE IN THE CONSTRUCTION, BUT WOULD BE GLAD TO PROVIDE INFO

• 10 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, WALTER zIMMERMAN said:

Just saw your notes on the ESSEX>  I worked with the curator of the Peabody Museum, Chad Smith, and Bill Baker when the Book "The ESSEX Papers" was being written.  Had access to a lot of inf, and did a lot of research myself.  I built a  scratch model of the ship, donated it to the Museum, in 1976.   It was on display for some years.  There are many errors in the kit, and I don't think Portia's info is accurate.  Suggest you try to get a copy of the book and plans.  I am making a book with photos of my model.  Don't know where you ARE IN THE CONSTRUCTION, BUT WOULD BE GLAD TO PROVIDE INFO

Walter - I just came across your post. Thank you for the offer - the poor ol' Essex has been sitting on a shelf for the past 6 years. I still sometimes look at her longingly, but need to finish at least one other before I can brong her to the bench. Just haven't had musch motivation to put glue to wood the past several months.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus