HMS Snake by Beef Wellington - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 64 - First wooden ship build

Enjoy your vacation. Looking forward to your return!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Enjoy Jason, enjoy.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Have a good break Jason, I'm sure the weather will behave itself, if not we have some spare heat over here you can have.

Looking forward to your return mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 months later...

......   To help secure the yard to the mast I inserted a small length of brass wire and drilled a hole in the mast, as well as installing the sling cleats  ................

Hi Jason

why did you drill holes in the mast to attach tle sling cleats?

Did you expect a "appreciable" tension/load on them during next stages of rigging etc?

Thanks.

Stergios - no hole was drilled for the sling cleats, the hole was for some wire in the back of the yard that will attach to the mast.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

OK Jason, you've snuck back into the shipyard mate so where's the update then. :piratetongueor4:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Stergios - no hole was drilled for the sling cleats, the hole was for some wire in the back of the yard that will attach to the mast.

Thanks again Jason.

Well guys, I feel a bit confused with the manual on the yards assembly and attachments...

I prefer to stay and wait to see your progress first, one way or another.

In every case I've to deal with the placement of the lowermasts now.

Cheers

Mobbsie, Carl - I'm sorry to disappoint, but there really are no updates.  I have looked in longingly to the shipyard for some weeks now but have been staring in longingly!  I've completely blown my timeline  ;)  I was hoping to have 'Jason' at least first planked by now and then move back to Snake to hopefully get her closer to completion over the Winter.

Stergios - I'm sure you can manage it, think if you follow the plans you'll do just fine.  Just as a suggestion you could get going with the standing rigging if you have the masts completed - that should give you plenty of time to think about your approach on the yards :)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

.................Just as a suggestion you could get going with the standing rigging if you have the masts completed - that should give you plenty of time to think about your approach on the yards :)

That's a good choice Jason.

It's a long trip doing the standing rigging. The masts are almost completed. 

Thanks

Edited by Stergios

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason, do you have any information about the length of the burton pendants?

Is there any length difference between those of mizzen mast and those of main mast?

I'm studying "Rigging period ship models" but olny the plans are illustrated....

Thanks.

Edited by Stergios

Stergios - they hang around 35-38mm below the tops, but don't let that number give you a false sense of accuracy.  I simply used the pictures in Petersson to estimate this, the rest was just what seemed to look right to me.  I wouldn't obsess over it, individual rigging items are the focus when you're doing them, but its amazing how the it all starts to blend together.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jason, you've been missing from the log longer than I have. I'm trying to get back to work again. How have you been...is all ok? Hope things are ok on your side.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hello Jason, you've been missing from the log longer than I have. I'm trying to get back to work again. How have you been...is all ok? Hope things are ok on your side.

John

I think Jason has been distracted by his other build.... Not that i'm much better......

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi John - Jim's right, have been a bit distracted  :) .  Just a very busy time of year with family sports activities.  Any time that I have had in the shipyard I've been trying to get a head start on the new build (HMS Jason) so I could take advantage of good weather outside for sanding on the hull planking.  That plan didn't work too well as I had a few issues with the kit which needed replacement and took longer to figure out what I wanted and how I was going to approach the build.  I'll be back to hopefully finish up Snake over the winter.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Once the ship is fully rigged only the people you told about it (if they remember that far away) would even know it and probably not at all. If you're happy....we're all happy..Captain's perogative.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 6 months later...

I'm finally back at it.  Very little time for anything for some time, but the break from Snake has brought me back more energized than ever to get her finished.  I'll probably continue to provide step by step photo updates on the rigging as reminders for me and maybe something helpful to others.

Not much, but evidence of progress.  Foretopmast stay completed and belayed, and boomkins installed...

post-891-0-02762700-1432779761_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-13072200-1432779766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason,

You've done a great job on HMS Snake so far! Your model has really inspired me to build the Snake, provided I get the go ahead from the Admiral! Keep up the good work!!! 

Cheers,

Jonny

Current Build:

Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne Kit Bash - Scale 1:64 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10547-hm-cutter-sherbourne-by-jonnyamy-caldercraft-kit-bash-scale-164/#entry317289

!!!ON HOLD!!! Mantura/Sergal HMS President - Scale 1:60 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5589-hms-president-by-jonnyamy-circa-1760-sergal-160/

In the Pipeline:

18th Century Longboat - Scale 1;48 - - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11273-18th-century-longboat-model-shipways-by-jonnyamy/

Completed Builds:

40 Foot Gaff Cutter - Solid Hull Concept Model

Caldercrafter HM Mortar Vessel Convulsion - Scale 1:64 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8593-hm-mortor-vessel-convulsion-by-jonnyamy/

SCRATCH BUILD - Vagabond 19 foot Sloop - Scale 1:20 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10172-vagabond-19-6-keel-sloop-pob-scale-120-by-jonnyamy-small/#entry302726

Nice to see you posting again Jason,

the HMS Snake is coming on beautifuly

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Welcome back. You were missed.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Carl, Jonny, Nils, Mort and Jim and the 'likes', thanks for the "welcome back"...

Breaking up shaping the remaining yards with the first of what I suspect will be a lot of work on rigging the yards, the lower sling.

Previously estimated length of line was served, and then fed through itself to make a loop.  About 6mm was left to allow the end to be cut into a short taper.  GS Hypo glue was then placed on the end and rolled between my fingers.  The thin thread is the end of the serving line not yet trimmed)

post-891-0-31427500-1433297675_thumb.jpg

Thread was then used to cover the unserved join, I used consecutive overhand knots, alternating sides.... 

post-891-0-92244800-1433297678_thumb.jpg

Maybe a little bulky, but once trimmed its a reasonable approximation to a spliced, served loop.

post-891-0-81275900-1433297681_thumb.jpg

Fitted to the main yard....

post-891-0-85309300-1433297688_thumb.jpg

....and length checked to confirm it is of correct length.  Second time was a charm!

post-891-0-85167200-1433297685_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Nicely done!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Lovely job Jason, the rigging is a part of the build I love doing, it's very satisfying when it all works out, and you must be a very satisfied builder right now.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

• 2 weeks later...

JesseLee, Mobbsie,Carl, and the likes - thanks for all the positive comments

Continuing with the main yard:

After adding a few of the requisite blocks, it was finally time to figure out how to tackle the stirrups and horses.  The instructions indicate using wire, but I wanted something a little more realistic so tried making with 0.5mm line.

Made the usual false splice into a length of line using an offcut of .75mm wire to get eye of appropriate size.

post-891-0-74260400-1434420185_thumb.jpg

These were then lashed around the yard in the appropriate places and diluted PVA applied to add some stiffness and secure in place.  A length of wire was used to try to keep the eyes aligned and clamps provided a small amount of tension while glue dried.  Instructions indicate the eye should be 15mm below the yard, I reduced this to 13mm as Ifelt it looked a little more to scale, and also seemed to match up better with diagrams in the AOTS series.  I also decided to use 3 stirrups per side against the 2 indicated on the plans as the spacing looked too great to my eye.

post-891-0-34296100-1434420189_thumb.jpg

Horses were then added with yet more false splices around the center of the yard and around the cleats.  The cleats were the smallest I could manage but seem to be what is required to keep to appropriate scale.  The cleats are installed 1/20th of the length of the yard from the end.  I had previously used paper to simulate the iron bands for the end boom iron.

post-891-0-90494300-1434420192_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-74526300-1434420196_thumb.jpg

Yard dryfitted.  Although the stirrups and horses will need a little bit of adjusting wjhen finally in position, I'm pretty happy with the result.  Now need to replicate on the remaining yards now the plan of attack has been determined.  Its amazing how congested things are getting, not sure how I'll manage to get the trusses on and the sling lashing when I get there, but thats a challenge for the future.

post-891-0-69912600-1434420200_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-46483800-1434420204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: