Beef Wellington

HMS Snake by Beef Wellington - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 64 - First wooden ship build

Great to see you back in business. I have so many projects going and nothing gets finished. I also hope to returen to my Snake someday. At least i finished the deck some month ago. When Working on several builds its probably better to aim for Good enough and actually finish something rather than perfection in everything and not finishing anything. HMS Jason is your masterpiece where no compromise should be accepted. But this one is already far beyond Good enough so just wrap things up. 

Jason,

I can empathize with the challenge of picking up the reins after a long break and having to hone old skills. We are in about the same boat (pun intended). We stopped at about the same time and about at the same stage of our first builds. Your model is outstanding.

Let's encourage each other to finally cross the finish line. I am trying to convert my State's order to "shelter in place" to "park my butt in the shipyard."

By the way, rigging from forward to aft and lower to higher is definitely the approach. It will keep your standing rigging taught as you continually pull the masts back to the stern and gives yourself as much room as possible for your hands and tools.  Good luck.

Vane, as soon as the new thread arrives I'll be back on it, have no fear.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, the journey for me is more satisfying than the destination, and I find the huge difference in skills being worked to be mutually beneficial.  I'm enjoying working with wood again on the QAB building a foundation and is a nice complimentary distraction to rigging - here I find the stock thread supplied to be the main source of frustration which is a shame....and while all that is going on the back of my brain is thinking about how to approach the planking and headworks on Jason, as well as approach the rope coils and anchor puddening on Snake etc.

Darrell - thanks for the encouragement and kind words.  I'll hopefully get some time soon to peruse your build log as well.

The Mizzen has arisen:

I can see why build logs tend to neglect rigging relegating it to a bit of a dark art - its so hard to reach a point where one can step back and say 'done' because nothing quite seems to get finished before its necessary to do something else before its too late.  Anyway, the mizzen rigging is now essentially complete.  This area proved to one of the more challenging so far 'learning the ropes', but also just because of the increased fiddliness factor and decreased access.  The plans also proved more challenging in this area due to their either lack of clarity or incompleteness.

Before starting, this was my last chance to address some things that have been annoying me.  The kit supplied ladders going to the stern platform just seemed too bulky, so these were ripped off and replaced with custom made items that just felt a little more to scale, and less visually obtrusive.  These proved challenging to make in walnut due to the splinter factor, but necessary to avoid introducing a new wood.  The ships wheel was also given some coats of a wash to try and make it a bit attractive from the flat brown colour I had used way back when I started (Pre-fix situation below):

IMG_2427.thumb.JPG.4d0da76a399d1607446b8e18b559a61a.JPG

IMG_2429.thumb.JPG.307a147ed60618baf5206fd4ded0b440.JPG

Rigging could then proceed, planning ahead proved key due to the many elements that need to be fitted in a very tight space, especially below the tops (tye, parrels throat halliard etc).   Petersson's Rigging Period Ship Models and Lever's Young Officers Sheet Anchor provide invaluable to bridge contradictions and lack of clarity in the plans.  Items of note as follows:

• Boom Sheets - went with single vs a double arrangement as illustrated on the plans as I couldn't find another example like this
  • Gaff throat halliard - the positioning of the gaff is slightly different on each plan, I had to lower my original placement to allow for the two double 5mm blocks, luckily the pin hole was obscured
  • Single boom horse - Common practice seems to have a knotted horses on either side of the boom.  I just couldn't get this to look right and the image of a young schoolboy with rather large and unruly ears kept coming to mind....so in the end I just went with a single and it seems to do the trick other than to purists.
  • Blocks for main topsail brace - One of the first blocks I had installed has to be removed, a double block on the mizzen for the main topsail braces as indicated on the plans.  It was clear that this just wouldn't work with the crossjack and gaff in place as it needs to sit above the gaff.  I elected to remove and replace with 2 single 5mm blocks with a longer clearance from the mast to avoid interfering with the various rigging elements in this space as illustrated in Petersson.  These are held temporarily in place with sewing thread.

Close up pictures of where things ended up that hopefully can assist others (errors are of course mine):

IMG_2441.thumb.JPG.920677f53da6ecc6c393e1e4049db039.JPGIMG_2442.thumb.JPG.9efdc80a81a508f4ee32701f3981a3c0.JPGIMG_2443.thumb.JPG.c552d1522198b19865782d056ef8b394.JPGIMG_2444.thumb.JPG.83b3b54c4c8bc16512d0d46598494081.JPGIMG_2446.thumb.JPG.013c417fa95b214f75b7521ed6cc801c.JPGIMG_2455.thumb.JPG.da99e3bc4b2887ff50b48ec34cd96263.JPGIMG_2451.thumb.jpg.cb9af69150ab2b2a3c2585a7ab52aa84.jpg

Finally, some overall shots...

IMG_2449.thumb.JPG.d67ebb17d839be195b79f7b7a00ed8b8.JPGIMG_2448.thumb.JPG.4eb4c43fe8ba7daf9932f763926ebd03.JPG

I'm really enjoying this build because this little ship has a very similar barque rig to HMS Terror, which is what I am building. Your work is excellent and I'm sure to benefit from your research. Well done for mounting the yards in the correct position. I see a great many ships, built without sails, that depict the upper yards in the position they would be in if the sails were flying, rather than down where they ought to be. A small detail, but once you notice it, it's hard to un-notice!  I admire uour work and I'm looking forward to shamelessly copying your rigging!

This is looking real good. Starting to look shipshape ✔️

I'm still struggling with coppering the hull... 

Hey Jason, yup those Ladders look the business, Snake's rigging is beginning to look serious now too, half expect to see dock yard workers out on those yards :) 

All The Best Mate

Eamonn

Looks good, some loose ends to tie up, but it does have a tight fit I might add. No sloppy lines hanging around

Thanks gents for the continued support and kind words.

@ Eamonn - Honestly feel like I bit off more than I can chew here, but the end does seem within reach now which is a good feeling

@ Carl - its a mind game!  The rope tends to stretch a little after installation, so its a constant matter of installing, but not securing, and tying off in an order that doesn't cause a problem by taking away access....feels like playing Jenga.

Before I continue with much more rigging I need to get going on a ships boat that I'd like to install.  None are provided in the Snake kit, so I'm high-jacking one of the ship's boats provided in the Diana kit.  I'm therefore keeping the building of these boats in that log (link below) to avoid confusion as it comes from that kit, even though hopefully a finished product will eventually appear here....

Outstanding!  I still haven't opened the box on my planned Snake build, but I've  been following your outstanding work, and a number of others, for many months--and staring at the picture on the box lid--all the time wondering just how much confidence a crew would have to have in their captain, to set sail without a ship's boat (or three) on board, just in case.  Looking forward to seeing how you shoe-horn it in.